What is so great about LTE?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tasha5213
I Plan to Stick Around

What is so great about LTE?

LTE is nothing special in my opinion. I have an LTE sim card and all I get is 3G and 4G networks still. Rare that I see the LTE network connected. I don't see the point or notice any difference in so called speed being faster having it. Am I missing something?

***edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What is so great about LTE?

If you are in an area with proper lte signals, you will get a much faster data rate.

If you aren't though, it reverts back to the regular networks, and is no different than a regular non lte phone speed wise.

tasha5213
I Plan to Stick Around

According to Rogers LTE Coverage map my address (area) has full lte coverage but still shows 3G mostly sometimes 4G network when I'm at home. 😕
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello tasha5213

With LTE you get speeds up to 80-100mbps
I get higher speeds on my LTE then i do with WiFi & anyone will say that. It also depends where you live / weather & other factors.

I noticed you own a S2 LTE correct? Which way did you do a update on? If you did it with OTA then they disabled LTE & it will ONLY show 4G instead of LTE ( Speeds will be LTE tho). Go into KIES & do the update there again, LTE will show up after. SAmsung Canada has said this.

Try doing a speed test using Speed.net Check what speeds you get with 4G & post back.

tasha5213
I Plan to Stick Around

Well that's weird. Total opposite for me. My connection is 100 times faster with wifi turned on! I have attached a screenshot of my speed tests without wifi turned on phone was showing 4G network. The number fluctuates like crazy! The last one I did was with wifi turned on and the speed for downloads and upload went through the roof! Something doesn't seem right. 

Yes I own a Samsung Galaxy S2 Lte. I updated through Kies the first time around. With the 4.1.2 update a week ago, I did it through my phone. Settings>about device> software update. 

screenshot

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello tasha5213

which location are you in? You are not telling us this. As for the speeds. I would suggest doing a factory reset & doing it threw KIES. the update will come straight from them & see if it fixes it.

Here is more info from Samsung Canada

"Great news for GALAXY S II LTE owners with Rogers. The Jelly Bean update (Android 4.1.2) we had to pause last week is now ready for your devices. Those who did not receive the update last week will receive an over-the-air notification to upgrade their devices. S II LTE owners who upgraded last week and were noticing problems with their network setting icon can fix the issue by upgrading via Samsung Kies."
tasha5213
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, I am in South Edmonton, Alberta. The reception over on this side of the city with Rogers absolutely sucks. I think I'm in a huge dead spot. Still waiting for Rogers to call me back in regards to me phoning them about hat issues. It's been almost 2 weeks and nothing 😕 Will have to phone them again. I will try to factory reset my phone yet again, and do the update through Kies when I get my computer up and running again. It decided to die on me, so I need to get it looked at. Will post results soon! Thanks!
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello tasha5213

Try doing this threw a friends computer if you can. It may help you as well. If it does not work & you still do not get LTE, then i would contact Rogers & have them send you out a replacement S2 LTE for $35. This cost is for them sending the phone out & you sending yours back.
tasha5213
I Plan to Stick Around

Will do! I didn't know they would send me a replacement phone for $35? Is this phone brand new or refurbished? I really don't want a refurbished phone 😞
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello tasha5213

They do this if you do not want to go to the store & send it into repair & wait lol. Its refurbished phone BUT it has a brand new battery, & covers. The refurb devices are just ones that people bring in within the 15 period time OR ones that have been sent into repair & get fixed & sold after. Most carriers do this. New ones are ONLY given out if you are within the 15 grace period.