What is everybody paying for Cable TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What is everybody paying for Cable TV

Just wondering what everybody is paying for Cable TV, specifically their Extended Basic package.

A few months ago, I refused to pay the $2.00  Paper Invoice Fee. Either remove it or disconnect me. So they removed it.

Strange, this month my cable services go up by $2.00.

Coincidence or what?

I'm pretty well fed up with the content Rogers is piping in on cable ... Game of Arms and hours olf that crap and then Storage Wars and similar brainless other shows just like it for the simple mind.

When I visited friends in NY state, they had MeTV which shows all the older programs from the 60s, 70s, etc. Certainly better than the garbage reality shows (place roll eyes icon here) now being broadcast.

***Edited Labels.***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: What is everybody paying for Cable TV

@GlobalRider wrote:

Just wondering what everybody is paying for Cable TV, specifically their Extended Basic package.

A few months ago, I refused to pay the $2.00  Paper Invoice Fee. Either remove it or disconnect me. So they removed it.

Strange, this month my cable services go up by $2.00.

Coincidence or what?

---------------------------------------

Actually, yes it is a coincidence.

--------------------------

I'm pretty well fed up with the garbage Rogers is piping in on cable ... Game of Arms and hours olf that crap and then Storage Wars and similar brainless other shows just likke it for the simple mind.

When I visited friends in NY state, they had MeTV which shows all the older programs from the 60s, 70s, etc. Certtainly better than the garbage reality shows (place roll eyes icon here) now being broadcast.

The majority of reality shows are broadcast on American networks.  So your American friends get plenty of that 'garbage' too.

Rogers doesn't select each and every show on TV.....mostly, they broadcast what the CRTC tells them to ( many channels are 'mandatory carrage'). Beyond that, there's a lot of American channels.

If MeTv wants to be carried by Rogers, all they have to do is apply to the CRTC...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes it would be nice if you could pick the channels you want instead of a bunch crap that is force fed to you...the other day I watched a bunched a fat hillbillies wandering around the bush of Virginia trying to catch a mothman...seriously.

Please don`t ask why I watched it must have been under the spell of the mothman!!!

The lucky ones are the folks that live close to the big city...set up a antenae for FREE HDTV and rid themselves of this overpriced crap that the companies hand out!!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The crtc has just been through an open thing re this. Not sure when the findings will be out, or if anything done tho.

Pretty much main push by the people is going towards a more pick and choose.

Likely there will always be a core base package of x many Canadian channels (most of your 'basic cable' is crtc mandated). But beyond that hopefully be pick and choose.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi,here is my experience. I have been a long time customer of Rogers utilizing wireless,TV and internet. I was receiving a bundle discount which reduced the true costs of these products. When the discount was discontinued I was paying just under $300 a month for these products. Because I was paying full price for these products (excluding the points reward program) I asked myself  was I receiving value for the money spent. For wireless and TV the answer was a resounding no. I switched my wireless to a wholesale carrier at half the price a couple of months ago. The reception I receive is as good as Rogers. I do not watch 99% of the bundled TV programs I paid $124 a month for and so reduced this to basic cable and subscribed to Netflix. I would have cancelled basic cable as well but my wife protested that she still wanted to watch her talk shows. I am stll perturbed about paying $12 monthly for the extra TV outlet,since I no longer have VIP service,and the digital service fee. In phoning Rogers last week to add BBC Canada (at a bargain of $2.50 monthly) to my basic cable package I was offered the option of trying the home phone package on a six month trial and I would get the nextbox free plus 100gb of additional internet usage. (which comes in handy when watching netflex.) I agreed to the new trial package because I was told it would further reduce my overall costs for six months,even with adding a home phone. Its really quite laughable. Regards.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same here, as a long time customer I was ticked off and refused to pay the two bucks for an invoice. Funny they want to bill you for that, yet send me continuous junk mail that goes straight in the garbage - they could probably save a bundle on that.

I didn't find I was getting much value for what I was spending on Extended Basic package and trimmed it back to Basic over the winter. I bought a Roku device and signed up for Netflix with those saved dollars and totally enjoy it - watch it all the time.

Now that spring has arrived, the only channel I miss is Sportsnet to watch my beloved Jays. I'm more inclined to subscribe for MLB.com than a package of channels I don't want. Ironic isn't it?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

"the other day I watched a bunched a fat hillbillies wandering around the bush of Virginia trying to catch a mothman...seriously."

...and that's the problem....you watched it.  Watching=ratings=advertising money=copycat programming.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I was paying for basic cable package for the past 10 years and only been watching two channels. Last week I finally gave my notice to cancel cable tv. I upgraded my internet package, installed over the air antenna and got netflix.

What finally convinced me to cancel cable tv is the fact that I get better video quality through $15 OTA antenna than from $500 PVR and $50/month subscription...