What is a good DNS to use in the Hitron?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

What is a good DNS to use in the Hitron?

Tried google and it sucked. Any others that you have had success with?

***edited labels***

Steve
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: What is a good DNS to use in the Hitron?

What were your issues with Google's DNS servers? I have been using them for several years with no issues. Always quick to resolve and accurate. I would be interested to hear what problem you were having.

Are you sure your client was using Google's dns servers? On Windows open an command prompt and type "nslookup" then enter. You should see what DNS server you are using. You may see your local router IP which in that case you are using a DNS proxy. The rogers routers dont always let you override the DNS servers properly.

In the past few weeks internet has been a joke here. Constant drops. So I setup 8.8.8.8 etc to try to speed up the system. Still drops. So...I have had techs here in the summer and re wired everything and things were great. Now the drops. Only thing I thought I could do was change the dns in the router which I tried. 

Steve
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, well thats not a DNS issue.  wont change the dropouts.

A DNS server, is really... think of it, like a Telepone book.

You have a persons NAME, but not which phone number to call them with.. hard to call them if you dont have that, right?

When you type in a web address (www.yahoo.com), it goes to your DNS server, which then like an phonebook, compares the address, to the number it has stored.
It then reports back saying "it should be at this number".  Then your computer actually then makes the route between YOU and the destination.  You never actually go THOUGH the DNS.

Problems with a DNS.. if its SLOW, you may get dealys on things as it returns its reply slowly.

If it doesnt have an address or is DOWN.. you might not actually get a resolution, your computer wont know where to go, and therefor can look like like you cant get anywhere and your whole internet is down... even though it isnt.
(EG: when the rogers DNS servers went down around this time a year or so ago.. if you were already connected to say a game.. or had alternative DNS servers already in your system.. the internet still worked.  But for most who use the default.. for all intensive purposes, it was 'down')

But a total internet drop, is not a DNS server related, and changing them wont resolve it.

I Plan to Stick Around

DNS wont solve connection drops. It will only speed up name resolution. Meaning from the time you hit enter when typing in a URL or clicking a bookmark until the time the page starts to load when it converts the name to an IP address.

It sounds like you are having different issues. Are you on wireless or wired? What model of rogers gateway? Using the rogers gateway standalone or in bridged mode and a third party AP? 

I'm wired now. Going to not use wireless for awhile and see what happens. It has to be something bothering the wireless in the neighborhood. 

Steve
I Plan to Stick Around

If your connection is solid on the wired side then your wireless is the issue.

Download a tool like inSSider and it will show you all of the wireless signals around you. You need to download the older free version(link below) as the product is now a paid application. Basically if your wireless is set to use channel 11 for example and inSSider sees 4 other wireless networks using Channel 11 you could definitely have issues. Changing your router to use a different channel like 1 or 6 depending on where the least amount of conjestion is will help for sure.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/inssider.html

Or if you have an android smartphone or tablet you could install iSSider (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.metageek) or wi-fi Analyzer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer) and accomplish the same thing. Not sure what apps are out ther for iPads/phones.

Thanks guys....I had this issue licked a few months ago but it looks like its back. 

Steve

Are you sure it is not a general issue with the Hitron modem?  I just switched to it and I am having to reboot the modem every day or two - and it sounds like several others are having the same issue.

At first I am having DNS issues but even if I try the numeric IP address I still can't get to web sites.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am having a minor issue with my Rogers Hitron modem. I currently subscribe to Blockless.com which lets me select different countries in my netflix program. However, for this to work in Blockless I need to change the DNS settings ( suggested and suppiled by Blockless) in the modem but when I try to change the settings it always defaults back to the original Rogers settings. 

Can anyone advice on a way to modify the DNS settings in the Rogers Hitron modem?