What is a 'defective' phone? Feel I made a mistake with a recent hardware purchase :(

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

What is a 'defective' phone? Feel I made a mistake with a recent hardware purchase :(

Hi,

I recently purchased a new LG G3 for one of the numbers in my wireless account (3 numbers in total, this device was for my mom). I had to upgrade my plan as well (accept paying a more $$ every month), since with my existing plan was not eligible for the smartphone upgrade (does not make much sense, but this is what I was told).

While the device was working fine initially, after exactly 2 weeks it suddenly turned off, and became a brick. Does not take charge and or respond to any input. Basically, a fatal failure due to some inherent defect that needed a little time to manifest (my mom is a very light user, and the only app that was installed on it since purchase was the Whatsapp messenger app). Till this failure the battery was working fine as well, so this whole crash came out of the blue.

FYI - other LG G3 users have also complained about similar issues - http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/427785-lg-g3-will-not-turn-charge.html OR https://support.t-mobile.com/message/422390

Anyways, I  immediately took the phone to the store expecting help, and the store manager was not able to verify the issue. They instead sent the phone to the manufacturer and handed me a crappy spare phone saying that I should get a repaired set within 8 days.

Now while I wait for this, I retrospect on the whole situation and wonder if I made a mistake with this hardware upgrade. The factors I am not clear about are:

1.When my account said I was eligible for a phone upgrade, why did I have to change plans in the first place?

2. Am I not eligible for a replacement instead of a repair?  I reported the issue within 15 days of purchase. The guy at the store says this is not defective since when the phone was taken out of the box it worked. He instead said this was a damage which needed a repair. For the record, there is no physical damage on the phone. It was in brand new condition, and even the protective films were in place. The reason I prefer a replacement is simple - This is definitely a defective unit, and after paying so much money I am not sure if I should be happy with a 'repaired-faulty' set. If this is not a defective unit then what is?

3. Shouldn't the store be able to immediately validate such a fatal defect and issue a replacement, instead of having to send it to a manufacturer. Even if they do send it, how can they expect the customer to use a crap spare device for 8 days? It is some terrible old device which does not even work well. Also, does it take 8 days to confirm a defect?

4. Also, what is the warranty clause of Rogers? I am totally confused about the whole warranty program, and the 'handset protection' program. Is there no default warranty at all? When I go back to the store with such a major defect within 15 days, am I wrong to expect a replacement (new LG G3 phone) instead of a patched up faulty phone. The reason for my concern for a patched up unit is definitely valid. Say for example, the device had a faulty piece A which ended up damaging piece B causing the fatal crash. Even if they replace piece B and say its 'repaired', the faulty piece A will likely cause the replacement to fail again.

I know this is a long post, but I hope to get some meaningful answers from someone who knows. I have tried speaking to the store guy, and also 3 customer service execs on this whole issue, and none were able to provide a satisfactory answer.

I feel I am getting a raw deal, and paying up more for it as well. Hope this upgrade was not a mistake.

Thanks,

A Rogers Customer for the last 2 years

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What is a 'defective' phone? Feel I made a mistake with a recent hardware purchase :(

1 ) With the change to 2 year contracts (forced by the CRTC), they then were getting LESS money overall for the 'loan' they are giving per say for alot of the value of the phone. Making people go to the higher plans, they recover this money then (more money over a shorter period).
(I am not saying i AGREE with this... just explaining why they say they are doing it)

2 & 3 )
Some phones there is a 'replacement' outright which can be done.  Is a small fee ($35 i think?) instead of repairing... not positive on this process though.
Problem is, unelss the manufacturer notifies Rogers of a general flaw/defect... they have to really just send it off.
Remember, rogers in the end is just a RESELLER for the device.. they dont make them, etc..
Its up to the MANUFACTURER to fix any issues with it

4) the unit does have a waranty out of the box.. usually 1 year manufacturers.
The handset protection goes to cover stuff BEYOND the 1 year, as well as somet stuff which is NOT rogers covered.
Rogers does have a 15 day thing.. but its based on USAGE on the phone, etc usually. If there is an amount done.. it has to be done like a repair, etc.  Really its to prevent people from say 'renting' a phone for the weekend sort of thing.

Hopefully then can get it fixed and back to you soon 😞

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What is a 'defective' phone? Feel I made a mistake with a recent hardware purchase :(

1 ) With the change to 2 year contracts (forced by the CRTC), they then were getting LESS money overall for the 'loan' they are giving per say for alot of the value of the phone. Making people go to the higher plans, they recover this money then (more money over a shorter period).
(I am not saying i AGREE with this... just explaining why they say they are doing it)

2 & 3 )
Some phones there is a 'replacement' outright which can be done.  Is a small fee ($35 i think?) instead of repairing... not positive on this process though.
Problem is, unelss the manufacturer notifies Rogers of a general flaw/defect... they have to really just send it off.
Remember, rogers in the end is just a RESELLER for the device.. they dont make them, etc..
Its up to the MANUFACTURER to fix any issues with it

4) the unit does have a waranty out of the box.. usually 1 year manufacturers.
The handset protection goes to cover stuff BEYOND the 1 year, as well as somet stuff which is NOT rogers covered.
Rogers does have a 15 day thing.. but its based on USAGE on the phone, etc usually. If there is an amount done.. it has to be done like a repair, etc.  Really its to prevent people from say 'renting' a phone for the weekend sort of thing.

Hopefully then can get it fixed and back to you soon 😞

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the answer. I still hope this issue is resolved soon. Will also find out a bit about the 15 day-usage thing. I am sure the usage limit has not been crossed. Fingers crossed:)