What exactly is a Basic Phone as opposed to a Smartphone?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

What exactly is a Basic Phone as opposed to a Smartphone?

I was told the Basic Phones board was for anything not consdered a Smarphone. What exactly is a Smartphone then? I have an LG-E410B PayGo phone costing less than $100 which can do just about anything phones costing  up to10x that can do, albeit not at as high a resolution. Even my old Nokia 2610 could connect to the Internet, but not take pictures and had buttons instead of a touch screen. In fact, in some ways it was smarter than my LG, because when someone texted me a picture, it would give me a URL where to view it, while this LG gives me nothing because I don't use data.

***Edited Labels***

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: What exactly is a Basic Phone as opposed to a Smartphone?

Basic Phone: Flip Phones, Bar Phones. Texting as T9 or "New" QWERTY keyboards but running a primitive OS or symbian OS. (Like old Nokia)
Your LG is considered an "Entry Level SmartPhone" - Costwise, it might be cosnider basic phone these days because of its low cost, but it is still a entry level smart phone.
It can not do everything smartphones can do, like serious multi-tasking, dual screen/multi window and handle higher graphics on games or apps (Not to mention its slower than a turtle compared to preimium flagship phones).

The URL for your picture was MMS protocol set by your phone because it wasn't able to "LOAD" the MMS image. Doing so and in failure it, the phone gave you a WAP URL address as a redirect (which is pulled from the cellphone provider who run WAP capabilities), because it couldn't support it in the in-house OS.

So no, old phone was not smarter, BUT, i think you liked it, so you preferred it. (I would too if that's what I am used to)

Most people don't like change, and I think thats what it comes down to, comfort and learning curve of something new - I am a techy-ish; I don't like my OS updating some of the time, But overtime, whatever is more efficident to technology progress in terms of power cosumption, less line of coding or for some reason the manufacture decides to do it.

Change happens.

I think your LG phone is good, for the new world but i gotta say, nothig beats the old school nokia. You could break the floor with those stuff, not the screen 😉

SmartPhone is just a tag title. Don't follow it to its definition, most people abuse the word so much now that it has lost its meaning.
Some people try to differciate it by saying "Smart Phone" "Super Phone" "Flag Ships" <-- They are all the samet thing.

Let me ask you a question: How would you tell someone a difference between a Honda Civic and an Enzo Ferrarri? When they person you would explain to, never seen a car and only rode a horse carriage? 😄

That's pretty much what you are asking. Most people consider smart phones "faster"; and "faster" phones are considered Flagships..

Hope this clears things up... or adds to the confusion. Which ever way this goes. I thought I throw my two cents in ...

Edit:

OMG! I didn't even realize I was responding to you @OLDYELLR ! HIIIIII!!!! 😄

2nd Edit: I tried to fix grammar. x__x

3rd Edit:

OH! Do you not have a data plan? If you don't have a data plan, keep your data on! Your phone uses data protocol for MMS but doesn't actually cost you data.

If your plan doesn't have data, It will allow MMS to work but no other data to work. So Data should be on for MMS, otherwise your phone is just blocking all MMS.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Basic Phone: Flip Phones, Bar Phones. Texting as T9 or "New" QWERTY keyboards but running a primitive OS or symbian OS. (Like old Nokia)
Your LG is considered an "Entry Level SmartPhone" - Costwise, it might be cosnider basic phone these days because of its low cost, but it is still a entry level smart phone.
It can not do everything smartphones can do, like serious multi-tasking, dual screen/multi window and handle higher graphics on games or apps (Not to mention its slower than a turtle compared to preimium flagship phones).

The URL for your picture was MMS protocol set by your phone because it wasn't able to "LOAD" the MMS image. Doing so and in failure it, the phone gave you a WAP URL address as a redirect (which is pulled from the cellphone provider who run WAP capabilities), because it couldn't support it in the in-house OS.

So no, old phone was not smarter, BUT, i think you liked it, so you preferred it. (I would too if that's what I am used to)

Most people don't like change, and I think thats what it comes down to, comfort and learning curve of something new - I am a techy-ish; I don't like my OS updating some of the time, But overtime, whatever is more efficident to technology progress in terms of power cosumption, less line of coding or for some reason the manufacture decides to do it.

Change happens.

I think your LG phone is good, for the new world but i gotta say, nothig beats the old school nokia. You could break the floor with those stuff, not the screen 😉

SmartPhone is just a tag title. Don't follow it to its definition, most people abuse the word so much now that it has lost its meaning.
Some people try to differciate it by saying "Smart Phone" "Super Phone" "Flag Ships" <-- They are all the samet thing.

Let me ask you a question: How would you tell someone a difference between a Honda Civic and an Enzo Ferrarri? When they person you would explain to, never seen a car and only rode a horse carriage? 😄

That's pretty much what you are asking. Most people consider smart phones "faster"; and "faster" phones are considered Flagships..

Hope this clears things up... or adds to the confusion. Which ever way this goes. I thought I throw my two cents in ...

Edit:

OMG! I didn't even realize I was responding to you @OLDYELLR ! HIIIIII!!!! 😄

2nd Edit: I tried to fix grammar. x__x

3rd Edit:

OH! Do you not have a data plan? If you don't have a data plan, keep your data on! Your phone uses data protocol for MMS but doesn't actually cost you data.

If your plan doesn't have data, It will allow MMS to work but no other data to work. So Data should be on for MMS, otherwise your phone is just blocking all MMS.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

I use PayGo, $100/year. I believe it does use data when enabled, but I have data turned off because it would eat upmy balance quickly. I'm old school and I'm not on my cellphone 24/7 like the kids are and feel it should cost less than a landline, not more. So, in that respect, the LG is not smarter than my old Nokia, just sneakier, trying to coax me to pay for data.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Touché

I would recommend calling in and requesting to block your data, but then your MMS will stop working altogether. 😐 This is something I am not good at: Prepaid rulings.
Have you called in and asked to block data only but not MMS? If they can then that's an easy solution right there (though I fear it sounds too easy to be true)
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I just have data turned off on my phone.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

but then no MMS 😮

But going back to original topic. What the market considers basic phone and smartphone is based on the cost/value of the phone. Not the technicality of it. 😞
Samsung Core for an example, is a SmartPhone but not by carriers definitation. It is a SmartPick or a VoiceOnly Phone on monthly/term.
I assume it can also be obtained with PayGO customers very cheaply...
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yeah, perhaps I should open a topic in the PayGo forum asking why I used to get texts on the old phone that included a URL where I could view and download the attached picture, but not with the new phone.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Mainly because your old phone supported WAP and new phone doesn't. (it has "Full browser" and intergrated MMS support)
That's honestly the answer.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

So that just reinforces my earlier contention, in some areas a basic phone is smarter than a smartphone. Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Nokia is THE phone given by the Greek God Zues. I think newer smartphones are flimsy and so easily breakable and OS needs updating all the time. lol

Yea Old phone's are more robust. I wouldn't call them Smarter, but definietly did what they were suppose to without much issue. (and a few battery resets)