cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your speeds for Ultimate 250? Faster in Gateway vs Bridge?

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I upgraded to the new Ultimate.  Here are my Speedtests.

In Gateway mode I get about 320 Mbps down and and 22 Mbps up. (How do I post an image on these forums to my speedtest result) - it looks like the [img] tags don't work?)

Switching to Bridge mode and going through my Asus RT-N66U the speeds drop to about 250 Mbps down and still 22 or so up. 

I tried playing around with router settings and when I turned on Jumbo frames my speeds were about 300 Mbps however this didn't last - after a few minutes the download speeds dropped to 250.  I am wondering if the increase in speed was due to the switch to bridge mode caused the router to reboot and for some reason it is fast in the first few minutes after a reboot.

The router should be plenty fast enough to handle over 500 Mbps.

Anyone else have similar results? 

Why the difference in speeds and why do I get 330 with some tests?  Is this due to speedboost?  If the modem can handle > 300Mbps then why don't they sell me that service? 

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What are your speeds for Ultimate 250? Faster in Gateway vs Bridge?

SimplePanda
I Plan to Stick Around

The cable modem in the new Advanced Wifi Gateway is a 24 channel device - it can handle 960Mbps.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, the 320+ speed you are seeing, is likely due to the speed boost. (like my 25mb service, i reguarily get 32+ on speed tests.
Over an EXTENDED period, it wouldnt likley sustain that 330.

As for your issue when switching to bridged... this isnt the first time i have heard that.  I am guessing you are on the CGN3 gateway, bridged?
I dont know why.. but i am guessing its mostly in part something in the manufactuers hardware/software.. that when its swiched to bridged mode, there is a drop in speed.. almost as if its limiting the port throughput when in bridged mode.

wayner92

So what is the current technical capacity for the Rogers network with the current hardware?  I thought that 250Mbps was pretty much the limit but if I can get 320+, even for short periods, then it means that the pipe can handle SIGNIFICANTLY faster speeds.  What is the technical max download speed given the 8 channels bonded, or whatever it is, that Rogers is now using?

SimplePanda
I Plan to Stick Around

The cable modem in the new Advanced Wifi Gateway is a 24 channel device - it can handle 960Mbps.

Correct.. its around 960ish.
That the MODEM can handle.

The difference is.. can the rest of the infrastructure, all the other nodes, etc inbetween.
Are the robust enough to handle that... for one person, let alone ALOT. 
while they can provice the 300+ for short burts.. at this time, its POSSIBLE that they can not sustain it for longer, without starting to seeing crouding, etc..

wayner92

Interesting, that is a lot more than I thought.

Of course, the problem is how can you use this speed - even what we have today?  I can get >200 Mbps speedtests against Toronto servers, but not when I try to hit servers that are farther afield.  When I try to FTP from a service that I use in Europe the best that I can achieve is about 75 Mbps.

Thats just it.. you are at the WHIM of something on the other side.. how quickly they can UPLOAD do you.

The BIGEST area you would see much faster speeds being an adavantage.. is in say where there are MULITPLE people downloading/streaming.. that there is a biger pipe, that multiple people can download at a higher rate.
Or something like torrenting, where you potentially can pull from many different sources at once.. all combined adding up to a higher value.

Earache
I Plan to Stick Around
The highest I got was 150/22 (mind you this is while using a power line).

It's not consistent as I can't even keep the connection alive for more then a day or 2 as I have to constant reboot/reset this p.o.s gateway.

Can we for the love of god get a stand alone!!!!!

wayner92

@Earache - you've never tried plugging a PC directly into your router or gateway?  For me it is pretty consistent - whenever I run speedtests on a fast wired PC I get pretty close to 250 Mbps.  When connected directly to the gateway I get above 300.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation