What? CRTC is *NOT* Responsbilible for Sim-Subbing?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

What? CRTC is *NOT* Responsbilible for Sim-Subbing?

I always though the CRTC mandated broadcasters to simsub a Canadian signal over an American one when they both airred the same program at the same time. That's why we don't get to see the American Superbwpwl commericals.

But according to this article, this just isn't so:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/crtc-rogers-stop-blaming-super-bowl/

It appears the "signal switches are made by broadcasters and not the CRTC".

If this is so, then it really stinks.

We paid for all these different stations, and we as intelligent viewers should be able to pick which signal to watch.

I presume Bell has the same rules, no it's not just a Rogers thing?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What? CRTC is *NOT* Responsbilible for Sim-Subbing?

It would be gobal across all canadian carriers.

CRTC says they CAN simsub over the commercials.  They dont HAVE to.. but they do have the option.

So it is up to the canadian station itself which is broadcasting the US feed then, if they are going to, to sub over them.

Generally.. i can understand WHY they would.. 1/2 of the US commericals are things that may not apply to canadians, not available here, etc.

BUT.. for big things like the superbowl.. where people SPECIFICALLY watch for the commercials, etc.. they could let those go at least for the one thing, etc.

Retired Moderator RogersSarah
Retired Moderator

Hi folks,

Canadian television stations are allowed to request a signal substitution over a U.S. station when they are airing the same program at the same time,  This is because the Canadian station has bought the exclusive Canadian rights to the program.  The substitution ensures the audience for the program is tuned to the Canadian station and its advertisements.   Once requested by the television stations, distributors like Rogers must perform the substitution for as long as the Canadian and U.S. TV stations air the same program at the same time. 

You can watch U.S. Super Bowl ads on places like You Tube pretty soon after they air on TV. Here's one channel for you to keep your eye on. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right.. but that canadian station who owns the rights for it up here.. could CHOOSE not to have it simsubed though, if they so chose to?

I'm a Senior Advisor

It's all about the commercials. The sponsors don't want to be paying for advertising when viewers watch a U.S.station instead with mostly meaningless U.S. commercials. And for people who want to see the U.S.superbowl commercials, you can catch them on Yotube and you don't even have to watch any football!  Smiley LOL

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Right.. but that canadian station who owns the rights for it up here.. could CHOOSE not to have it simsubed though, if they so chose to?

They could it appears, but they'd be insane to do so.

I can choose to light $100 bills on fire, but I don't.  Why would Canadian broadcasters willingly give up advertising revenue?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats exactly it.. you are not going to see a canadian station do it.. and loose the revinues, etc.

I guess the BIG underlaying problem was from the initial thing, that it was a rogers rep that BLAMED the CRTC for it.. where its really not the CRTCs fault.. its the station owner.

If you dont want to see simsubing on something.. talk to whatever canadian company owns that station.

I Plan to Stick Around

Not that I care about seeing the commercials -- I'll often change channels or mute the sound until they're over -- but some people who live within range of the US stations can use an antenna to see them. From the Toronto area, you would likely need a clear line of sight to the south across Lake Ontario in the direction of Buffalo (and/or maybe Rochester if you are on the east side of Toronto). When I lived on an upper floor of an apartment building with a south-facing window, I could receive Buffalo stations with a Terk HDTVa indoor directional UHF antenna, and sometimes Rochester stations although I think one or two of those have since switched back over to a VHF signal that does not carry as far.

Assuming you have a TV made in the last few years with a modern tuner, you just connect it to the TV's antenna input while leaving your cable box/DVR connected with its HDMI cable. The signals are free (like radio), so you might as well use them if you can and want to watch the US broadcast stations directly without simsubs. I found it to be particularly useful during the NFL post-season games to avoid the Canadian stations missing plays by returning late from commercial breaks, not to mention the US stations being significantly less annoyingly repetitive than CTV (and Global before them) showing the same promos and ads over and over again.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

But my biggest beef is not just Superbowl/U.S. commercials in general ... it's the fact that I lost my right to CHOOSE!

If I paid for 2 Toyotas, one assembled in Canada and one in the U.S., I would expect to be able to drive either of them here whenever I want.

I wouldn't expect the Toyota plant in Cambridge to not allow me to drive a Toyota made in Mississippi.

So why can't we do the same with TV stations?

Let. Me. Choose.

I Plan to Stick Around

The issue with that is Americans would have to have the same choice there are many that would perfer to watch Tsn or Sportsnet/Cbc and not there sports chnnel they get many would perfer to watch Space over Scfi i don't think we will ever see Canadian or Americans have that choice as studios would lose billions.