So I have a weird issues happening with my Rogers Internet, and am looking for some possible answers, or things to try.
Starting this past weekend (beginnging of June), my connection started to drop. Firing up a ping from my laptop to the the Rogers gateway, I would get 50 pings go though successfully, then 100 would fail. During the failure, it would appear as if my modem would reboot - the DS, US and Online lights go off, looks like it cycles, and then finally re-syncs. My pings would then continue, but only for 50 successful, then 100 failure, and a "reboot" or "re-sync" would happen again. Over and over.
I called tech support, they tested the line and modem from remote (when it was online), and said nothing was wrong with the line, that it was likely the modem, and to replace it. So, I did that. Put the new modem in place, exact same scenario happens.
I have removed all other devices and hooked the modem to the line coming into the house. Other than the 'cusadmin' user password and WiFi SSID/password, it's completely default config. The issue contines. I tried pinging from both wired direct to modem, and over WiFi.
When the connection is online, it works great. It just isn't on long enough to actually do anything.
I tried adding a powered splitter to boost the signal strength to see if that helps, same issue. I tried adding a non powered splitter with an extra long coax cable to see if lowering the signal strength would help, same situation.
I have muliple calls to tech support, and they have no solution. They are sending a tech, but not for 4 (!!!) days. Which I find unacceptable as my wife works from home, our phone is VoIP, and w/o Internet, she's unable to actually work, but that's an aside.
I am left with that perhaps the line coming into the house has somehow gone bad - but the 50 pings I get when it works are good times, and 0% packet loss. I would assume if the line was bad, I'd not get the repeating pattern of 50 good pings, 100 failed pings, modem "reboot"?
Has anyone experienced something like this, and/or have any suggestions?
Solved! Solved! Go to Solution.
Unfortunately, with 'home based' internet.. there is no SLA for someone out 😞 Based on number of service calls can take a few days. (this is one reason why business internet is often 3-4 times or MORE $$.. as they have these built in SLA's for someone to come out sooner).
That you have done it on both wired and wireless.. with the same results.. i doubt its anything intneral (your equipment, network cables, etc.
When you did the test with the longer coax, etc.. did you plug it in a different outlet? (just to eliminate a power issue at that spot).
LIKELY from the sounds of it.. its a bad signal/line..
Sometimes its not always 100% ON/OFF with it.. it can fluxuate up/down based on other usage in the area, etc.
(EG: We had a signal issue effecting TV for almost 2 months... ONLY happened around 7-10, NEVER any other times.. but why then? Thats probably the PEAK usage time for people using internet/tv, etc at home.. caused enough of a strain on the line)
When they do come out.. insist on them doing the following.
Check signal at the STREET box.
Check signal outside the house,
check signal just inside the house (before any splitters, etc).
And then outwards from there.
Isist on them changing any splitters/couplers ANYWAYS, just incase its an intermitant issue with one of them.
Thanks for the reply. Understand the SLA, it's just quite frustrating, esp when you live in a world where the net is ubiquitus with every day life, and you find yourself quite reliant upon it.
I tried mulitple power outlets, no difference.
Here's a screen shot of the channel strengths page that I managed to get in the 15 sec while my home connectoin was up (not easy remote desktoping, getting page loaded, taking pic )
Odd though on your upstream.. that you only have two bonded channels.. usually is 3.
What I find more bizarre is that it shows the upstream channels as 2 and 3 (with 1 having zero signal strength), rather than as 1 and 2.
Could it be that some unknown signal problem is preventing the modem from syncing to whatever channel is supposed to be #1?
Just logged in remotedly during my 15 sec window, and managed to see upstream channels 1, 2 and 3 all with signal strength.
Lost connection, got back in, only to see just channels 2 and 3 in use, with 1 and 4 at 0 dBmV power level.
So an update.
My connection mysteriously came back late Tuesday night, the night before the tech was to come out. A new firmware was pushed to the modem and the constant modem rebooting stopped.
I still had the tech come out and test the line and connections to the house and road, as suggested, and he indicated there was no issue, that the signal was decent and no issues.
However, he replaced the modem as he had apparently replaced 2 others on my block this week that were having similar issues. He had no idea why, but the Cisco DCP3825 wasn't working properly in my neighbourhood. So, now I am stuck with the SMC D3GN.
I suppose at the end of the day, so long as I have Internet again, and it's no slower, and stable, I should be happy.