Website won't load, DNS needs update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Website won't load, DNS needs update

That is one difference that we have.. (other than location)

You are currently using a modem/Router combo.. myself i am using one of their new gateways.

Now..the wireless and some other things, in these gateways... leaves alot to be desired..  Most people set it up, to still use their own 3rd party router if they need it.  Wired internet off the gateways is usually pretty stable though.

The gateway, would also allow you to get the higher speed/bandwidth cap for your plan level (vs with the modem only now, you only get the grandfathered speed/cap)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It's just weird that one website changing servers would cause this problem. I don't have any problems with any other websites. The problem is I use this site every day to write my blog song of the day. I've tried so many things to fix this that I think it needs a new modem. I've had this one since 2005. Maybe it's not compatible with the changes at Allmusic. Rogers owns the modem. They can replace it. I'm not concerned about wireless as I wouldn't use it anyway. I have a tablet as opposed to a laptop.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generally i dont see that the modem itself could cause it...

But myself have ZERO issues getting the site from my end, using everything rogers (no alternative DNS, routing, etc), right into their gateway (no other router involved, etc)...

Modem.. or SOMETHING on your PC are really the only two things left.

Give them a shout, and say you want to get one of the newer D3 gateways.
Make sure at that time, that they CHANGE your plan as well.
As you can still have the old D2 plans, on a D3 modem.. but not vice versa.. and they dont always get switched (i had that for a month).
Even if you dont use it right away/alot.. that its THERE for the same fee you pay, is a bonus.

That your wired.. should be easy enough.

I Plan to Stick Around

But if it was something other than modem compatibility, it would affect other sites. I didn't change anything. The only change was these guys moved to a new server. Is there any cost difference if I get a D3 gateway? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, you would have to talk to them.
GENERALLY, yes, about 3-4 more a month 😞  But for higher speed/higher cap.. can be worth it, if used.
You could try to talk to retentions, and see if you can get it covered, etc.

But not necessarily.. there could just be something corrupt in how your PC is viewing or cacheing that one site.

WHY it would do it.. i dont know, but one last place to look, would possibly be your HOSTS file.. if there is somehow and entry in there for it.

These will OVERRIDE dns lookups.

I Plan to Stick Around

How do I look up the HOST file and what would I look for?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your hosts file, is usually in

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

(yes,i know, its the ODDEST place..i think its a remininant of OLD windows days)

there should be a HOSTS file there.  Open it in notepad.

The top of it, is 'commented out' just sort of info.

Below, there normally SHOULDNT be really anything... a the most a 127.0.0.1 localhost.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, that's all that was there.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It was worth a look 🙂

I have had malware, etc on clients PCs which it infects that file, and puts in re-directs there, etc 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

gdkitty,

Thank you for your time.  I was not insulting your intelligence what so ever, so if I offended you then I am purely sorry sounding condecending if I did infact sound condecending to you.  

Was purely trying to assist Frankp here with his issues.

Again thank you for your time.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation