cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Site/MyRogers/TV - Change My Package freezes browser/PC

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

EVERY time I go into the Rogers Web Site, MyRogers, TV and select Change My Package it freezes my web browser (Firefox 40.0.2) and the rest of my PC, unless I kill Firefox from Task Manager.

***Edited Labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Web Site/MyRogers/TV - Change My Package freezes browser/PC

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor
Seems that when things go wrong for some of us, they come in bunches. It is not that we are looking for them. Good luck my friend.

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee
^ Words of wisdom from my fav guy @BS

On the other hand, I think the website may be saving some temp files.
I trick I use (without bothering to even clear cache and all that work)...
Run a Private (mode) window ... logg in... and test it.
Does it fail again? Have you tried another browser?

I can only troubleshoot what I know, Since I myself don't do self serve changes.

neilpalmer400

It freezes in a Firefox private window.

It does appear to work in Chrome (Version 44.0.2403.155 m).

May as well just deal with it that way.  No hope at all Rogers will get around to fixing it anytime soon, considering all the other problems they have to deal with right now.

Of course it won't let you CANCEL a package, just select a different one. 

But that's a design choice of the web site.

So what I understand so far. (and this happens to me on my other favourite websites)... It is your firefox is giving you issues... not the site.
I wouldn't think its the website if Chrome can pick it up with out problems...

I personally on my laptop and desktop use Chrome, Firefox and IE for exactly this reasons.
Some websites work with some browsers but not all browsers. (especially with mix old HTML and new HTML5 and Flash and Java and all this poluted virtual world...)

So far my Trio-plan works. If its a cache is the issue, I always try private on incognito mode first...

o__o"

Edit:

Either way, Glad it is working for you @neilpalmer400 🙂

neilpalmer400

It's the only page I've found that hangs Firefox, even in Private Window, and it appears to do so consistently.

I know what you are saying, but from technical view, if all browser were failing then it would be the website.
I'm not saying that because its Roger's website or anything.

But realistically, you may have not been to a site that can cause same errors - Usually site's that run multiple loggin validation run into browser hang. this was actually a known issue for IE back in early 2000s and microsoft launched a massive patch for that.

Regardless of what it is, Good new is, you can access it with chrome.
Sadly, I wish you didn't have this issue to begin with...

Unless I have missed anything, does anyone else want to chime in?

neilpalmer400

Thanks.

So we'll leave the web developers alone to fix the "deep linking" where every time we are logged out of these forums and have to log back in we are NOT taken back to the page we were at.  Rogers is the ONLY site I know that DOESN'T  do that.  Smiley Wink

Private browsing, usually makes it so it will not save any form of cookie or any other type of thing that may keep a preference... even same temp internet files.

Likely something in the site programmed to be trying to do so, and it hanging when in private mode.

@neilpalmer400
-__- I have noticed that too actually.
Actually tigerdirect.ca does that for me too lol

Edit: @Gdkitty

Sorry you posted right after I posted that.

So what do you think can cause it? is there a resolve? I use firefox for Rogers.com myself. curious to know...

neilpalmer400

The "deep linking" issue isn't a private browsing issue.  It happens all the time with any browser, private mode or not.

@neilpalmer400

Oh No no!

I understand what you are saying about the "deep linking" - That's why I was agreeing with you.

Maybe my wording wasn't clear.
It has nothing to do with the browser, but rather how the site is set up.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

So what I understand so far. (and this happens to me on my other favourite websites)... It is your firefox is giving you issues... not the site.
I wouldn't think its the website if Chrome can pick it up with out problems...

I personally on my laptop and desktop use Chrome, Firefox and IE for exactly this reasons.

IE used to be the most popular browser because it was free with Windows. Firefox then took that position because it was so much better, but we Firefox users had to keep a version of IE working because the web developers were too lazy to adapt. Personally, when I started to use the internet I had Netscape 1.0, which was provided free by my ISP. I guess that really dates me. I eventually transitined to Firefox because it was "the same thing".

Googling the stats, I see now that Chrome is the most popular. Either there are a lot of sheep, or Google manipulates the stats. In any case, web designers are failing if they don't make their sites fully compatible with Firefox, Chrome and IE (for those browsing during working hours on their employer's dime).

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@OLDYELLR you definitely are dated. lol but that's good. more experience! 🙂

As you stated, web designers would need to standardize html5 (which generally should be supported by all major and minor browsers) - Internet world is too laid back for it to keep up to standards.
Which is the sad truth.

There are still sites out there that use flash menus. There are ever older sites out there that you "Gif" animated menus lol oh man those were the days. Gif menu were awesome! 😄

Coming back to topic; some browser are coded to translate and do their own formatting (Opera I believe does this). So it causes errors in format on scripts since it tries to inject its own formats.

Even with doing HTML5.. its all in how the browser is coded... and then how it reacts to the page..
Can STILL vary/react differently on each 😛

Most people HATE IE.. and moved to FF or more now chrome.
Other than not being HTML5 compatable... IE is not really as 'slow' anymore as when most people jumped ship.. but its maybe a little late.

I have all 3 on my machines.. mostly FOR compatablility.. doesnt work in one? go to the other.

I usually use IE or chrome.
Why chrome over FF?  No google brainwashing or anything..
Just found it generally works better.   I am one that will often leave a browser open for DAYS at a time.
Stoped using firefox.. when it was having memory leaks with doing things like that.. and would eat up all the system memory.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I am beginning to like Windows Spartan. Other than trying to configure out all the links to Bing search and Bing maps, it is clean fast, pure HTML5.

Did find one remaining bug in the on line billing though.

In both IE 11 and Spartan, it displays very nicely, fitted well to the whole screen, but if you go to talk details and try to download the details to a CSV (spreadsheet file), it fails and you ultimately end up with 

Apache Tomcat/7.0.53 - Error report

HTTP Status 500 - EncryptedToken header not found in request.

type Exception report

message EncryptedToken header not found in request.

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.springframework.security.web.authentication.preauth.PreAuthenticatedCredentialsNotFoundException: EncryptedToken header not found in request.
	com.britebill.rogers.rest.ext.security.RogersRequestHeaderAuthenticationFilter.getPreAuthenticatedPrincipal(RogersRequestHeaderAuthenticationFilter.java:41)
	org.springframework.security.web.authentication.preauth.AbstractPreAuthenticatedProcessingFilter.doAuthenticate(AbstractPreAuthenticatedProcessingFilter.java:116)
	org.springframework.security.web.authentication.preauth.AbstractPreAuthenticatedProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractPreAuthenticatedProcessingFilter.java:104)
	org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:342)
	org.springframework.security.web.authentication.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:110)
	org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:342)
	org.springframework.security.web.context.request.async.WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.doFilterInternal(WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.java:50)
	org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)
	org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:87)
	org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilterInternal(FilterChainProxy.java:192)
	org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:160)
	org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344)
	org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261)
	org.apache.catalina.filters.CorsFilter.handleNonCORS(CorsFilter.java:439)
	org.apache.catalina.filters.CorsFilter.doFilter(CorsFilter.java:178)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.53 logs.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.53

The programmers would have to look both at whether the security token is being pushed to IE11 and Spartan, or is it a browser issue, or is it a programming issue in the design of the user interface in the programming for IE11 - remember that the interface is programmed by Rogers, not the Web developer, and it is the responsibility of the programmers to test on all browers that are commonly used, at different configurations such as zoom size, font size and any other user settings that are written into the browser that users commonly use.  The browser documentation and API toolkits provide full details on most common configuration issues that need to be tested when writing the API to pull the web data to the browser (not actually web data, but server data whether it is in the cloud or on company servers.

If it just cannot be supported on a particular browser or configuration, then you list detailed compatable software and hardware, and any that are not supported.  This is the responsibility of the programmers, not an issue with the browser.

But back to IE11, and Spartan, there is a clear bug on the download button that was first reported by myself and others a long way back. I have reported to CSR's and had them work through the bug and they find it, I have reported to tech support as well and they have no response either - this is a deeper basic coding issue outside the scope of front line people.  They have indicated that it has gone back to the team, but guess it got missed.

Give Spartan a try, once you get all the links to Bing removed, it is fast and very clean.  Although it remains that One number will not run on spartan due to One number still using NPAPI.  Time to recode to PPAPI, the clock is clicking. The depracation document to remove NPAPI, posted first in 2012, indicates that sometime in September, they will remove access to NPAPI.  You will still be able to use Firefox, Safari, Opera (Safari and Opera on Windows are not set to be secure by default), and Firefox is removing support for it, which means that it may still work, but if anything is going wrong, the developers using NPAPI are on their own - Firefox will not provide any support.

Isn't programming fun - not always for the user though. A good programmer loves a good problem to solve and thrives on catching them and finding solutions, preferrably proactively, but sometimes unfortunately, it makes it to the user and all you know what breaks out.

Bruce

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation