WIFI UMA in USA to my local area?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

WIFI UMA in USA to my local area?

I have Rogers wifi UMA service, $10 for unlimited local wifi calling. I have heard that it is within Canada only but have also been told three different answers (non officially from Rogers) to the question "What about wifi calls made in the States to my local Toronto number?

The three answers I've gotten were these:

1. Even when connected over wifi in the States, you can not make Toronto local wifi calls. All calls back to your local area will be charged roaming/long distance fees

2. You can make wifi calls from the States back to local area but it is not unlimited. You won't be charged roaming/long distance fees but it will count towards your monthly everyday minutes

3. It's over wifi, they don't know where you are so there is no roaming/long distance fees and it is unlimited since you have unlimted local wifi calling

Can anyone give me the correct answer?

Cheers,

Mike

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: WIFI UMA in USA to my local area?

I've been in 3 countries in the last couple months and UMA has never authenticated in any of those countries.  When UMA does not authenticate, you can make calls but you will be using the roaming carriers network to make them, thus roaming and ld charges apply.   If you are lucky to get the UMA to Authenticate, which might happen in "some" big chain hotels, then yes you can dial the 10 digit local number and you will virtualy have the local toronto calling area even abroad.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

BTW, just a clarification, you can be connected to Wifi, but it does not mean your connected to UMA. Your phone must specifically have the UMA symbol to show you are connected to UMA.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ya, I have the UMA signal on all my home and work wifi's. Haven't gone outside Canada yet to see if it'll work.

Thanks for the response.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

UMA calling only works in Canada.  It won't let you connect while Roaming.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am curious to know if anyone is using any android devices with UMA or are you guys all using blackberries?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i do not know of any Google android phone that has uma

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Currently the only Manufacturers that have UMA compatible devices are RIM and Nokia. For Nokia there are two regular flip phone cellphones and there are a variety of different Blackberry that support this.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

WiseD, dont forget, motorola also makes a cellphone that works with rogers UMA. Rogers may not have sold it as I think it was fido ,but it definitely works on Roger UMA too.