*WARNING* Apparent Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Shortage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

*WARNING* Apparent Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Shortage

So I sign up for the Hybrid Fibre 60 package under the impression that the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem is included as that's what it states on the website .  Today the technician drops off the modem BUT it's the regular modem...  I figure it's surely a mix-up and I'll simply contact rogers for the simple exchange.  I had an extremely rude employee dealing with me as she kept stating that the regular modem is compatible with the Hybrid Fibre 60 package and that there is a shortage of the advanced modems.  My response being... that's great and all but that's not what I signed up for.  She then suggested I contact rogers locations to find out if they have the advanced modem and I could do my exchange but I would need to pay an extra $4 a month.  

I kept stating my case that at no time did the sales agent or even the website state the shortage, and I felt as though I've been swindled but again and again she kept stating that the regular modem is compatible with Hyprid Fibre 60.  I honestly had enough and sent rogers a complaint of the incident....but I suppose I'm stuck with the regular modem?  I refuse to pay more for the advanced modem when there's no shortage...just found this whole ordeal very misleading as that was the major sales point that attracted me to this package.

Anyways just a heads up for people potentially looking into packages Hybrid 60 and above - if you think you're getting an advanced modem - you're not.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: *WARNING* Apparent Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Shortage

Lets clear a few things up first.

Yes. There is a shortage currently on the Advanced Modem.

Likely the person setting up the plan, did not 100% know this.  I only know if it, from multiple people on multiple boards posting the same sort of post.

Due to this, they have allowed the other 8 channel modems, to work on the hybrid 60 plan (where as at first, you needed to have the CGN3 advanced modem.

The 8 channel modems will work fine for this.. the 24 channel advanced one, it just technically BETTER.

Now, the listed prices for the packages.. are listed with the ADVANCED modem rental included.  So for the hybrid 60 plan, 69.99

WHEN you get a bill for this, its actually listed still as two line items.

You would see
-Hybrid 60 plan @ 57.99

-Advanced modem @ 12.00

That you are not able to get an advanced one, your will come out as follows on your bill.

-Hybrid 60 plan @ 57.99

-modem @ 8.00

You will actually be paying $4 less than the listed price.

But you are not stuck with anything. 

IF you can locate an advanced one, say at a store, etc..  yes you can go in an exchange your current one, for the advanced one.  Yes, you would have to pay $4 more, than you would be CURRENTLY paying... but that $4 increase would then only bring it up to the listed 69.99

Alternatively, best buy has had them on sale for $150.  You can purchase one, which would save you the rental fee alltogether.  You would then only play the 57.99

I've Been Here Awhile

Can I put this in perspective for you? You're planning to travel - you call the hotel, talk to a pleasant representative and you get quoted for an amazing deal - king size bed, jacuzzi, the works. Upon checking in - you find out they don't have any rooms left with king size beds but only twin beds but rest assured you'll pay the twin bed rate. You're rest assured a bed is a bed. Keep in mind you were sold on this location for the king size beds.
How would you react? Honestly?
Judging by your tone it appears you don't see any fault of Rogers on what happened to me. It's essentially false advertising actually. It's not like I'm buying a yogurt with the promise of it being low fat - this is an expensive contract for internet services.  I could care less if they've enabled their regular modems to be compatible with their higher plans. It stinks honestly - used it last night and I constantly lost the wi-fi connection when I'm merely 20ft away on the same floor.
I'm still eagerly awaiting a response from the Management Office but I have a feeling I'm going to get a similar response of yours and the agent I spoke to yesterday that there's no wrong doing, modem shortage, blah blah....blah.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Your rant is pointless. It is true that there is a shortage of CGN3s right now but to expect regular agents on the phone to know about this is really a stretch.

If you are getting 60/10 speeds, it should not make any difference for you. If you are not - that's a different story.

CGN3s are still available in any Future Shop store. If you absolutely need this modem, just grab it from Future Shop.

But you are much better of using your own third party router instead as the majority of people here do.
I've Been Here Awhile

My 'rant' as you call it was a warning (see Subject) to potential customers to not get sucked in.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I never said that rogers was not in the wrong.

I was just explaining to you, the differences in the modems, why... and that you will only be paying

'the twin size bed' rate because of having to use the other modem.

Would i be upset at not having the king? Yeah.  But i would be glad that i HAD a room still, all the same features otherwise.. they could have said since they dont have the king, that i just dont get a room at all!

For the SPEED of your internet connection.. that modem will work find and is capable of it.
(the 24 channel one, just has LESS of a chance of congetion, vs a 8 channel).

Really, the only difference between the two? Is the wifi is SLIGHTLY better on the advanced.
And i emphasise the SLIGHTLY. 

As Tedd13 mentioned... all in all if you will be using wireless primarily and at the closer to max speeds, you are better served in getting higher end 3rd party router to serve your wireless.
The gateways.. like any of the cheap 3rd party ones.. the wireless WORKS.. its just not great.

Really, i am not sure what you expect.   If they dont have a CGN3 right now, they dont have a CGN3 right now.

You are not on any contract (there are no longer contracts for internet or TV), so you can choose to leave at any time.
Nor are you tied to that modem.  You can choose to switch to the CGN3 at any time that one is available / you are able to get one.

(again at no ADITIONAL cost.  It would then only bring you up to the original cost, as you will be paying LESS at the moment)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@613JG wrote:

Can I put this in perspective for you? You're planning to travel - you call the hotel, talk to a pleasant representative and you get quoted for an amazing deal - king size bed, jacuzzi, the works. Upon checking in - you find out they don't have any rooms left with king size beds but only twin beds but rest assured you'll pay the twin bed rate. You're rest assured a bed is a bed. Keep in mind you were sold on this location for the king size beds.
How would you react? Honestly?
Judging by your tone it appears you don't see any fault of Rogers on what happened to me. It's essentially false advertising actually. It's not like I'm buying a yogurt with the promise of it being low fat - this is an expensive contract for internet services.  I could care less if they've enabled their regular modems to be compatible with their higher plans. It stinks honestly - used it last night and I constantly lost the wi-fi connection when I'm merely 20ft away on the same floor.
I'm still eagerly awaiting a response from the Management Office but I have a feeling I'm going to get a similar response of yours and the agent I spoke to yesterday that there's no wrong doing, modem shortage, blah blah....blah.

You know what amuses me about this?

If you look at this forum, there are a couple of recurring complaints:

1. 'Why the heck is Rogers making me get a more expensive modem than what I absolutely need for the 60+ megabit plans?'

2. 'Why the heck does Rogers make me pay for a crappy gateway when I just want to use my own router with better wifi? can't I get a straight modem for less money?'

No one here really likes the CGN3 as anything other than a bridged modem, and even as that, emotions are a little bit conflicted.

So here, by some twist of fate, you get something closer to what most regulars on this forum want... and you feel like you've been highway robbed because Rogers deprived you of the chance to pay $4/month more for a device with functionality no one around here particularly holds in high esteem!

Read some threads on this forum. The CGN3 is more a Cadillac Cimarron than a Mercedes S-Class... and you're upset they gave you a Chevy Cavalier for 2/3rds of the price of the Cimarron.

(*sigh* Of course, since the last Cimarron rolled off the assembly line in 1988, I'm probably dating myself with this analogy.)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Actually a better analogy then your hotel analogy is this:

There is a toll road from point A to point B is supposed to be 24 lanes wide and you decide to take this road and pay the toll.  But 16 of the lanes are blocked by construction.  The good thing is that there is so little traffic on the remaining 8 lanes that you can drive as fast as you want and you are saving 1/3 the price of the toll.  Are you being ripped off?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

Actually a better analogy then your hotel analogy is this:

There is a toll road from point A to point B is supposed to be 24 lanes wide and you decide to take this road and pay the toll.  But 16 of the lanes are blocked by construction.  The good thing is that there is so little traffic on the remaining 8 lanes that you can drive as fast as you want and you are saving 1/3 the price of the toll.  Are you being ripped off?

In all fairness to the OP, the CGN3, if used as a router, does have some additional nice features, e.g. the simultaneous dual-bandness...

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I agree with VivienM. I also currently use CGN3 as a router. My CGN3 is in the basement and wireless signal is very strong throughout the house and backyard. If you have a good signal, you shouldn't have any problems with CGN3 as it is the best gateway Rogers had ever offered.