Volume fluctuates when watching HD Chanels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Volume fluctuates when watching HD Chanels

I'm trying to figure out if this has happened to other people and if its normal or if something is wrong with my current set up.

When I watch a TV show on an HD Chanel the volume fluctuates during the show I am watching.

Example if I'm watching a sitcom type show the volume is normal but then if there is music that plays in the show for example or a laugh track (or audience laugther) those things are normal volume but when the voice of the caracters starts again, they are low, and slowly over ofthe cours of maybe 5 seconds or so the volume on the voices comes back up to normal (almost as if someone was playing with the volume on the remote).

A good example is when I watch Saturday Night live in HD. When they do a skit everything is normal, then the audience laughs and that is at normal volume but when the caracter start talking again, the volume on there voice is very low, and then gradually increase back to normal.

Does this make any sense? Normal? Bad HDMI Cable?

let me konw.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Volume fluctuates when watching HD Chanels

I myself have not noticed this, but could carry maybe even from channel to channel?

You are doing straight hdmi from the box to TV? Nothing inbetween?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Try setting your Audio Range to Narrow on the box.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yea the set up is HDMI cable straight from the box to my tv.

It happens on several of my HD Chanels for sure. Another example is I was watching the football game on Fox HD and they announcers would speak at normal levels but as soon as you'd hear audio on the field, the announcers voice would go really low.

I'll try to set the Audio Range to Narrow on the box and see if that helps anything.

I Plan to Stick Around

...tried to set the audio range from wide to narrow, and it keeps changing back to wide by itself.

I'm done for the night. Try again tomorrow. Any more suggestions appreciated.

thanks.

If you have the new guide make sure you save before you exit.
I'm an Advisor

I have this problem on HD channels as well, especially The Movie Network and HBO. I would describe it exactly the same way as the OP did. It started several months ago. I have the old 8300HD PVR directly connected to my TV with an HDMI cable. I'll try the audio narrow setting and will report back here.

I Plan to Stick Around

I can't change they dynamic range at all. It tells me to hit the SEL button to Accept, so when I do so and chose Narrow it will accept Narrow but as soon as I go to another screen it changed back to wide by itself.

I have no problem changing the volume leve, analog output and digital output options but for some reason it will not let me change the dynamic range.

Are you on fixed or variable audio? Switch it to the opposite and then try the range setting.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello mousetamer

None of that will help, trust me. I had 2 techs already try & nothing. The channels do this it self.