Voip and modem/router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Voip and modem/router

I am using voip with stand alone Motorola modem and my own D-Link router for wireless. If I upgrade, and disconnect their router, so that my router can be used, can I still use my voip. Voip is plugged directly into modem and not being used wireless.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Voip and modem/router

Yes, you should be able to.

Your best bet, would be to set your net gateway, in BRIDGED mode, which effectively turns the gateway into a modem.. then you should be able to setup as before.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It really depends on the type of VOIP you are using and particular hardware and as well as a VOIP service provider. For example, I have Rogers Cisco DPC3825 at my parents' house and Teksavvyy VOIP. There is no way to make VOIP work properly with Cisco DPC3825 in bridged mode. So, I keep Cisco in gateway mode and only that way VOIP is working fine.

I Plan to Stick Around

Are you saying there is no way at all to use the DPC3825 in bridged mode with a voip provider?

If I understand correctly, bridged mode is bypassing the router portion and using your own router.  I'm using the 3825 with a Cisco SPA112, and it works now but I notice a severe lag in voice transmitting when i'm calling a landline.  Could this be fixed with an adpator setting or looking into bridged mode?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bridged COULD fix it but you would need to get a 3rd party router.

Other thing to look at would be, if there are any recommended port forwarding settings which could be enabled on the gateway.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I'm using a VOIP adapter as well in my network, in my case it's Rogers ONE number adapter.  You don't mention which VOIP service you are using.

If putting your Rogers Router/modem device into Bridge mode you can only have 1 device connected to the ports on the back of the router.   In Bridge mode the router is only a modem and there is only 1 IP address available from Rogers to your internal devices.   Your own personal router then performs all router functions.

If your VOIP adapter has an input and output LAN port, then you can use it in between the Rogers modem and your personal router.   Only one port is then used on the back of the Rogers modem/ROUTER.   The VOIP adapter will take priority but pass thru all internet traffic to/from your own router.

The 2nd option is to plug the VOIp adapter into one of your internal router ports and adjust QOS parameters if necessary.    

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm using Primus, what I wanted to do is upgrade to their new modem/router, but disconnect the router side so I can use my own router and connect the voip adapter to my router. Presently I am using their old modem but wanted to upgrade because of more usage given with their new router/modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm using voip.ms as a provider.  It's been mostly reliable but there's been two major Rogers outages in my area since december and both times the voip adaptor needed to be power cycled in order to use the phone again.

I contacted support for voip, they suggested a few things, one was to disable the SPI firewall in the router. My concern with this is if exposes my network to more risks.  I'm also aware of usign bridged mode, that will be my next step if SPI doesn't help.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation