Voice and Data at the same time?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Voice and Data at the same time?

I have preordered an iphone 5. This will be my first cell phone ever. I have a question about the iphone / Rogers abilities.

Can you be making a phone call, and use the data feature at the same time? Example, can I call my wife and be looking at a website or map directions while I talk with her?

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Voice and Data at the same time?

Hello RangerOne

Yes you are able to use the internet while you are on a phone call. Its called multitasking.

Once you are on a call, put the phone on speaker phone & press the home button on the iPhone. Then you are able use the internet if you wish. It will work at the fullest its supposed to.No issues at all. I have done this many times before.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello Meowmix,
Thanks for the quick reply. Have you done this before? I just read an article from the US that states this type of function is only available for AT&T customers. Sprint, Verizon, etc do not offer it for iPhone.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

That is because its in the states. I have done it many times with my iPhone before. You are able to text, go on the internet, email, Facebook & everything else. You can even listen to your music while on the phone believe it or not. I tested this with my 4 & 4S & it worked.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello!

I was wondering the same thing (I'm currently 1780 on a wait list for an iPhone 5).  I know that with my iPhone 4 on Rogers I can do both simultaneously, but I have been reading that this is only possible with the iPhone 5 by having the voice call go to CDMA (Which I don't know if Rogers has or supports) and having the LTE antenna do the data.

I would love to have an official word on this as I do use that feature often and I will be upset if I cannot do it with the iPhone 5.

I also read somewhere that both can drop to 3g and do it that way?  I'm not sure if Rogers can do this or what.

Any detailed clarification would be very helpful. 

Many thanks in advance!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Let me try to explain this so no one gets confused & knows what it going on.

Alright i have owned the S2 LTE, HTC Raider LTE, S3 LTE & as well the S2 HD LTE.  When you try to make a phone call & you are on LTE, LTE will drop & it will use either 4G ( HSPA+) or 3G. This is a issue with LTE not the phone. You are still able to use the internet but it wont be on LTE until you get off the phone. It will be om 3G / 4G ( HSPA+)

Rogers only supports GSM / EDGE / 3G / HSPA+ & LTE. CDMA is with Bell & Telus. They use that. This may be true but i just called Rogers & spoke to 3 different tech support agents & 2 managers. They all told me that they are supporting it & it will work with no issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

Great! Im glad to know that I can use data and voice together on the iPhone 5.

I've been reading a lot about this antenna issue online. Rogers should really clarify this is it's important to many customers.

So, the phone will drop down to 3G for both voice and data and continue workin as it does for the iPhone 4 or 4s? And Rogers confirmed this? And despite the "3rd antenna" this is how it will work for Rogers? Sorry for asking, but this is quite important in my decision making.

Also, many thanks for your reply. I've been through the posts on different topics and you've been vey helpful elsewhere as well. Please know we all appreciate it.

Thanks!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Correct. Once you try to make a phone call on LTE, it will drop down to 3G / 4G ( HSPA+). Once you end the call, LTE will go back on as it was before the call.

Rogers has made comments when LTE came out that there is this issue & it can not be fixed because LTE is only for Data & not for voice.

LTE is made for data. This is why this is happening. I am using my S3 on LTE & every time i get a call, it goes to 4G & then back to LTE once i end the call.

You are welcome. Just trying to help everyone out as much as i can 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

And does that Phone only have one antenna or can 3G do both on One antenna?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

From what i know it has 2 antennas on the phone