cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Voice Mail on Rogers

SwordFish99
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone understand the visual voice mail app on your phone? I put it on my phone and will be taking it off very soon as it doesn't work when on wireless?? I can't afford to run my phone without wireless access just so I can get voice mail. Not sure what Rogers was thinking on this one...

******* Edit labels ********

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Visual Voice Mail on Rogers

For the S3 if you uninstall the updates to the VVM app you're then able to go in and disable the app under applications manager.....only way I could stop getting those annoying messages.  Rogers definitely dropped the ball on this app, completely useless.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Chrystiality
I Plan to Stick Around

Visual voice mail doesn't work when wifi is enabled. No idea why not... you'd have to ask Rogers. Smiley Tongue

The data it uses should be included (same way texting uses data, but it is included when you have a text plan). If not, I'd recommend calling Rogers to see why they sold you something that you can't use (and demand your money back).

Smeelious
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Wireless = Rogers network

WIFI = WIFI.

Anyway.

A lot of the Rogers apps use some kinda wierd authentication that requires connection to the Rogers network (My Account is another example)

Any data used for the voicemail app is not counted against your data usage.

But yes, it is still a silly way of doing things considering how often phones are connected to wifi networks.  You can of course always access your voicemail by dialing the voicemail number (chances are you can long press 1 on the phone dialer)

This is really annoying.

a) That it doesn't work on wifi.

b) I constantly get the message 'Wifi connection is enabled. VVM Plus will not work over wifi. Please disable your wifi to retrieve new VVM Plus messages.

Why won't it work over wifi? Even if it doesn't work over wifi, why can't it just use the mobile network instead of wifi for the purpose?

How can I turn that alert off so I don't always get it?

visual voicemail uses MMS. and MMS only works when connected to the cellular network. I do not ever remember receiving mms when im connected to wi-fi only, mms is only available on cellular network, its like that anywhere else in the world too not just rogers.

the only way mms would work over wifi is if you have some sort of phone that supports wi-fi calling ie UMA and u need the code on your account for it to work, you also need the uma icon to be white for it to work too

When at home with my old phone, connected to wifi, I was still able to receive MMS.

It may have come through the cellular network, I'm not sure, but just because I was connected to wifi, it didn't prevent coverage from the cellular network.

With this phone, because I'm connected to wifi, it won't allow me to get VVM.

doubrown
I've Been Here Awhile

Does this app even work for the S3? I never get anything showing up under Inbox or Saved, but get all the notifications of it not workiong over WiFi.

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes it works for the S3. The wifi notifications are constant and extremely annoying. I don't understand why Rogers doesn't fix this.

For the S3 if you uninstall the updates to the VVM app you're then able to go in and disable the app under applications manager.....only way I could stop getting those annoying messages.  Rogers definitely dropped the ball on this app, completely useless.

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm actually subscribed to and receive VVM. My complaint is the extremely annoying notifications. You get these whether you're subscribed or not.
It's a real bad programming decision. Please fix, Rogers.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

That is the reason why i stopped using VVM on my Xperia S & Galaxy Nexus.
Rogers has the notifications set to high & honestly it started ticking me off when i get notifications every minute or so. They need to reprogram it & fix the issue ASAP.

how do you uninstall the updates?

figured it out. just getting rid of this crap program. i pay for VVM but i'd rather just turn it off than keep getting the notifications.

billy
I Plan to Stick Around

If you have VVM as part of a value pack you can call in and get the MMS version and this should stop the notifications since the VVM app is not needed for it to work, only device MMS capabilities. Right now there are 4 version of VVM IOS, Android, BB and MMS. The IOS version is the standard one all iphones use. The BB and Android version require the VVM app and shows the annoying notification when connected to Wifi. The MMS will send you a sound clip and transcription of the message without needing the app. 

DiamondX
I've Been Around

I have been receiving these VVM notifications over the last few days on my Galaxy S3 as well with it complaining about me being connected to WiFi and VVM not supporting it. It is beyond annoying constantly being pummeled by this notifications simply because I am at home and connected to my WiFi network. This didn't happen until I installed a recent update it would seem. I can't find any way to disable the notifications from this app though... very poorly thought out.

Rarely_Here
I've Been Here Awhile

Did you just call Customer Service and asked for technical support?  And they sent you the MMS version electronically? 

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
No. I just called tech support and the tech had no idea what I was talking about. She went on to tell me that the VVM Plus app comes from Google and to complain to Google. There have been multiple updates to the app to make it compatible with more devices. Why can't they disable this notification feature?!?!? Rogers should read the reviews. Most of them complain about the chronic notifications.
Can someone from Rogers chime in here? If it's not Rogers'app, then just let us know. As customers, we can complain to the party responsible.

Having said all of the above, the app is very good in it's core function. I really enjoy using it for it's main purpose.

clockwork58
I Plan to Stick Around

My Bro in Law hated this on his S3.

I rooted his phone and deleted the app. It's crap and annoying.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I just unistalled the updates & not using the app. I hate the notifications. IS Rogers ever going to listen & take them down...

MMacDonald
I've Been Around

Yes, Rogers needs to fix this app and the My Account apps at the very least.  Being forced to use their network is annoying.  When I'm at home I always use my wifi.  It's better, faster, and doesn't use up data on my plan.  I don't know if having Rogers at home would make a difference, but here in Quebec that's not even an option.  Not to mention that I tend to connect to external wifi a lot.  It's tremendously annoying, because I *do* like these apps.  They are really nice, and I would really like to be able to use them as opposed to being annoyed by them all the time.

Looks like they just fixed it. I got an update today for the Visual Voicemail Plus app that says it will force a mobile network connection when WIFI is enabled. So far, it is working.

Topic Stats