Very poor service from customer care - Unlocking IPhone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Very poor service from customer care - Unlocking IPhone

Needless to say this is the interaction I had with Rogers through  purchasing my used I phone and now I am stuck with it. Anyone know what I can do since the email com^plaint I sent was returned since I do not have an account with them?

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Very poor service from customer care - Unlocking IPhone

One thing you need to understand before making a complaint about Rogers is the policy DOES state that the phone needs to be OUT of a contact in order to get it unlocked. If you search it you will see it for your self.

The policy is the following:

1.No contract on phone remaining
2.your account is in good standing
3.phone is in your device history (if you bought it from them it already is)

That is the policy so you are able to unlock the phone. Although i do agree where all the reps are giving you the wrong info. This does happen to EVERYONE. The dropped calls happen to everyone as well & my self. Its nothing new. The systems they are using are doing this. You sending this to CBC-Marketplace & other media sites will not do anything seeing as once they see the phone is tied to someone else account, they will say the same. I can understand you are complaining about the misinformation but complaining to the media will not get you anywhere sorry to say.

Go read a few threads in here & see how many people are in your spot as well in which can not unlock the iPhone seeing as its either under someone elses name or tied into someone else account. The policies are there for a reason.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I concur with meowmix,

policy is policy, there are other places to get phone unlocked, no one is holding a gun to your head to force you to go through rogers.  if u dont like their rules, take ur unlocking business elsewhere.  complaining to the media will get u no where either. and no im not siding with rogers, im also a consumer and i would just go to the fli market if they can unlock my phone

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It should be illegal to sell locked phones even under contract. You're not renting the *censored* thing. 

I've Been Here Awhile

One thing you need to understand I called prior to purchasing the phone to verify it was not on contract and the person I bought from has it from was on a pay as you go from Rogers. It's as long as you use Rogers it's OK to have a phone on contract but if you want to use another carrier it's not. Double standard here or what. The policy seems very clear but why don't the staff know the policy.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

You do realize that new staff do not get trained fully right? Not all staff will know everything at once. Remember there is a lot of things to remember while you are a call center rep. Each department has its own things to know. So lets say you call & speak to sells department or tech support, they will not know seeing as the do other services & not unlocking services. You need to think about that as well. I have met staff in which do not know half of the stuff they should know & its not their fault seeing as the Managers are lazy to train them.

iPhone's are NOT sold as pay as you go phones UNLESS he bought it outright & paid over $600 for it. Yes because those are the policies with each carrier. Is this new to you? Go look at Bell / Telus / Fido / Virgin. They all have the same exact policy in place. Its not just Rogers.

The policy to unlock is set like this for each carrier. Even the states have the same policy. Look at ATT & Verizon. They both have similar unlocking policies.

You said you called before & you got told 1. That all they need is the IMEI. 2nd person you spoke to said that as long as the phone was on a pay as you go account then it would be okay ( she was in tech support). 3rd you called & spoke to the unlocking team which said "in the unlocking department which in

turn told me again since this phone was under contract he was unable to

do anything because of the way the systeme is set u" So there you have it. The other person before you must have had the phone under a contract seeing as Rogers nor other carrier do not sell it as pay as you go UNLESS you buy the phone outright & put it on a pay as you go account.

I would contact the old owner & double check if he bought it with a plan or outright.
I've Been Here Awhile

He bought it and was active under a pay as you go and if I have an active Rogers account it'S OK to have a phone under contract. And it is OK if I get it unlocked by a third party. Doesn't make sense to be honest with you . Even if the other carriers have the same policy should all staff know the policy before giving false information to potential customers.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I agree with you but blame the ones that are training the rep. The rep gets trained either by a manager or a higher end rep. If his or her trainer does not tell them about it, then its not the reps fault. Also no. Not all the staff would know seeing as reps only at retentions can cancel your line. Other reps work for different departments which deal with different things and not able to give you the righ info. some reps are nice and look for the right info.

I've Been Here Awhile

Well after having spoken to several people at Rogers I have to say the service is about as bad as it gets. I was informed that if I put 50$ on a prepaid card they would unlock the phone. I then proceded to do this. Now that I put the amount on the account they now say again they can't unlock and can't refund my money since it is on a prepaid  account. But if I had paid by credit and not debit card they could refund the money. I find this company appaling and cannot wait to no longer have to deal with them anymore. Companies of this sort should take better care of the people that pay them. I consider this a form of theft as they said they would be able to do a service and now they can't and cannot give you back your money. Just shameful client service. I will no longer be giving my money to this company or any affiliate.

I've Been Here Awhile

You can use Pay As You Go service with iphone?