Very low DOCSIS WAN levels but no major issues???

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Very low DOCSIS WAN levels but no major issues???

My gateway is a CGN3 and I have Ultimate 250/20 service. 

Over the last few days I have been having trouble receivng some of my cable TV channels, like macroblocking, audio break ups and some channels just not tuning in at all (these are channels that I should be receiving).  When I check the cable box my signal levels are low, like around -20dbMV.

Then I checked my cable modem.  My best channel is -11.4 and my worst is -23.1.  How do I still have decent internet service like this?  Pingplotter shows pretty stable service and I still get 238/20 when I run speedtests.

Is internet service more robust for low levels?

These signals have improved in the last 24 hours so I am wondering if I have an issue where my service degrades in cold weather.  Today it is 8 in Toronto where it has been below 0 for most of the last week.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Very low DOCSIS WAN levels but no major issues???

Wow, yeah..

overly STRONG while it can effect things, is less of an  issue... but too LOW.. usually much more.

What was your SNR durring that bad time?

I don't know what it was at its worse but currently on the best channel it is 36.4 and on the worst channel it is 28.6.

I have a tech visit scheduled for Wednesday evening.  We will see if it gets back to these levels on Wednesday when it gets cold again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible it is just one splitter or something maybe, only effecting the feed that goes to your TV.

As well.. whatever is happening.. .might then only be effecting a particular frequency range?  Only effecting the ones the TV is carried on.

@Gdkitty wrote:

Its possible it is just one splitter or something maybe, only effecting the feed that goes to your TV.

I thought of that too since the STBs that I noticed this on first are fed by a 1x4 cable distribution amp as they are the boxes connected to my SageTV media server.  But I get the exact same results at a couple of other TVs in my house that do not go through any splitters/amps etc.  So it is a more general situation affecting the Rogers drop at my house, or at least the East side of my house as I have two drops from the street - one on the East side of my house and one on the West side.

I'm an Advisor

wayner92:

I had the same experience a few weeks ago. My CGN3 downstream/upstream levels were very bad, but I was still getting close to 200mbps downloads on the 150/15 plan. I also checked the diagnostic screen on my 8300HD PVR and had lots of low readings highlighted in yellow. They were mostly around -19dbmv but, surprisingly, the channels were still locking on. I have one cable coming out of an outlet with a splitter that goes to my cable box and the CGN3.

I had a tech come out and, coincidentally on the same day the appointment was scheduled, my signals in the morning were suddenly back to normal and were the best I've ever seen. On both the CGN3 and my 8300, I was getting either 0dbmv or something very close to it on everything. It turns out there was a problem in the neighbourhood they had been working on for a couple of days and they had to replace cables etc. in a box in a laneway that services the neighbourhood. The tech told me one of the big problems was water in the box(es). He referred to the boxes as "mains", which sounds like a major distribution point. I've lived in my current place for over 4 years and have never seen signals so good. I used to have a Nextbox 3 which consistently had audio drop outs, so it looks like the problem originated from the boxes in the laneway. Fortunatelyl, my 8300 never had such a problem.

I had a Rogers tech visit tonight.  He strung a temp line through the trees on the side of my property and my levels have risen by 15-20 dBMV for both internet and cable tv.  It likely won't get buried until the string but this is the best I have seen for internet levels since I started paying attention.  They now range from -1.4 to -3.4. few months ago I was having the odd packet loss when my levels were around -12 - the tech replaced a splitter but it only helped by a couple of dB.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So possibly some issues with your older burried line then possibly.

Good to hear.

Bigest thing though.. is that this one will be out and exposed all winter 😞

When they come to do the burry, they will do a new line anyways... BUT you might find over the winter, if you do start having issues again, that they may need to swap the temp line.