Very erratic behaviour .. fast to nothing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Very erratic behaviour .. fast to nothing

I'm trying to update a program I have and need to download about 1.3G of data to do so.(yep-that's a lot but it's a major upgrade after a fresh install)

It starts of at about 500 - 500 KB/s , which is fine , but after about 5-6 minutes it's not even as fast as dialup..getting someinthing in the neighbourhood of 20 - 30 bytes/sec down to 0.

Thought Rigers touted "fastest most reliable" internet??

Any ideas ?? Is Rogers throttling or something??

***Edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: Very erratic behaviour .. fast to nothing

@BeerHunter125:

as you no doubt know, I too am a Rogers RocketHub owner/user, and have been for nearly three years now.  In my experience the throughput performance you are mentioning is not unusual.  It is in fact pretty normal for Rogers RocketHub internet connections.

This Easter weekend I am in Ottawa visiting family.  While in Ottawa I am accessing the Internet using my stepdaughter's Rogers cable modem.  She has the most basic package possible,  And yet, the performance I am getting is consistently outstanding compared to what I am used to with my RocketHub.  This leads me to suspect that the problem is either with cellular internet technology overall, or with the Rogers network implementation of cellular internet.  I do not know how Bell's equivalent service compares, for example.

I am not in the business of doing periodic speed test checks.  Nor am I interested in getting on the phone to Rogers support every flipping time I get unhappy with the internet performance.  Life is just too short to spend it like that!  I just want good, reliable internet, and be done with it so I can get on with what I really want to use it for!

I pay roughly two times as much for my RocketHub internet compared to what my stepdaughter pays.  And she gets substantially more data usage per month.  In fact, she can realisitically and effectively use Netflix for movie watching on her Internet connection.  There is no way I could use Netflix, nor could I afford the data charges!

Not only do we the Rogers RocketHub customers get lousy internet.  We also pay super-premium prices for that dubious privilege.

skinorth

I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

I feel your pain...fortunately I have access to DSL at work so can update there I guess.

For the most part the Hub serves my needs adequately but I for the life of me can see NO justification whatsoever for the outlandish cost. I only wish I had access to an alternative.

WiFi at 1/2 the cost and unlimited use would require a $4,500 tower and DSL/cable simply won't be coming out our way , thanks to satellite TV.

I've Been Around

I've been dealing with Rogers for several years now. My neighbourhood does not have access to Rogers cable so the only option for internet from them is the mobile units. The unit I first received three years ago was amazing. I never had a problem with it. Then Rogers discontinued the unit and service about 2 years ago. Ever since then I have had nothing but problems with my internet connection. On a good day I get some connection. But most days it drops the connection or takes many minutes to load a single page. This is affecting my home based business. They finally gave me the LTE modem which worked great for about a month and now it too drops the connection or takes forever to load pages. Once my contract is up I will not be renewing with Rogers. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Not long ago, we were getting amazing throughput here.  Now it's back down to the usual range of "poor" to "pretty good".

@chillz:

I gather you've got the ZTE MF28B rocket hub.  Are you in an area that has LTE service?  If not, you may find the modem drops the connection less frequently if you use the hub's admin interface to change the Network Select setting from "Automatic" to "4G Only".  That seems to help here.

Have you called tech support about the problem?  You may get someone who does more than telling you to cycle power on the hub.  Quite some time ago, we got a technician who had me change the APN setting on the modem.  That might also help.

I'm an Advisor

@wellington:

you mention that: "...we were getting amazing throughput...".  I must admit that sometimes we get that too.  But what concerns me is that we mostly get variable and unpredictable performance from Rogers.  Sometimes things are good.  Sometimes things are not so good.  Sometimes things are just downright terrible!

About the only thing that does not change is the size of the monthly bill.  It is quite consistent.  Now, if only they could find a way to scale our monthly Rogers bill to the quality of the Internet service we have been receiving for that month.........

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

@skinorth

I too experience exceptionally erratic  3G throughput on my 3G25WR router. Sometimes download speeds exceed 5 meg/sec and other times I’m below 100k/sec or simply dead in the water. In my case I have confirmed repeatedly with level two tech support that the lack of service results from congestion at the tower. I strongly suspect that for all of us Rogers Rocket hub users, our collectively poor data throughput reveals the fact that Roger’s limited cellular infrastructure cannot keep pace with both the growing subscriber base and data demand of mobile devices.  Rogers states, in their Fourth Quarter 2012 Financial and Operating Results…

Wireless data revenue grew by 21% which, combined with a continued slowing in the rate of decline of voice ARPU, helped drive a 2.8% increase in blended ARPU. Wireless data revenue now comprises 42% of Wireless network revenue. Wireless activated and upgraded 940,000 smartphones, of which approximately 29% were for subscribers new to Wireless. This is the highest number of smartphone activations and upgrades in Rogers' history and resulted in subscribers with smartphones now representing 69% of the overall postpaid subscribers.

We know that cell tower deployment is costly, unpopular in local municipalities and is experiencing much resistance from the ‘not in my backyard’ syndrome.  With the obvious disconnect between a growing customer base and the lagging cellular infrastructure development, I suspect that in the near future we’ll be longing for the service that we experienced in the good old days...

I Plan to Stick Around

I think it's absolutely disgusting that we are charged a healthy fee for a service which is simple not reliable in any shape or measure.   How Rogers continues to get away with this is beyond me.  I have a Rocket Hub from Rogers and the equivalent from Bell.  I use Bell for my connection to allow me to work from home and it is for the most part fairly reliable with consistent speed even though I would not consider it in any way high speed.  On the other hand the Rogers Rocket hub is useless throughout the day and would not be useable at all for my connection to work.  Quite clearly Rogers does not deliver what they charge for in any shape or form.   I've been toying with hooking up an antenna for the past year in hopes that it just might improve the Rogers connection, speed and reliability but somehow I think I may just be wasting more cash and getting nothing in rerturn.  As it is I end up paying well over $100 a month for both hubs with me paying extra on top of that when I go over the measly 3 GB limit for my Bell connection.  I never go over the limit for Rogers because it's mostly unusable so we end up not using it other than for occasional surfing and online email reading.  Yeah it works better at 2 am but who wants to be up at that time.  I only wish there were other alternatives for us rural folks but I don't see any relief in sight.  It maddens me that we are left to flop in the wind with few options.  My daughter will be taking an online University course and I can only hope for a miracle.  If not I may just refuse to pay my Rogers bill until they send someone to my house to give me a straight answer as to why the service I pay for is not being delivered.  When I pay good money for something I expect to get what I pay for.  Anything else is nothing less than corporate deceipt fuelled by greed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not using this as an excuse, but as a possible explanation. (i dont work for rogers by any means.. this is all just from experience/knoledge)

Each area is different.. and alot is based on towers.  There may be a better bell tower spread there than rogers, giving you a better signal where you are located.  Even with a good spread, just due to geography, there can be dead zones, etc (i have 3+ bars in ALL my town (keswick) except for one stretch of street, NOTHING.  It may be your in a better location for the bell towers, than the rogers ones.

One thing, that a number of others that use these have found, is congestion on the towers, seems to take an effect as well.  People who live near a highway, etc, seem to get worse/no connection sometimes, durring rush hour times, etc on those highways.  It seems like there is a QoS (quality of service) on the towers, which is forcing voice, etc over data, and choking out the data.  Or at min, its just TOO congested to allow it all.

Again, i am not trying to make an excuse.  If its purely signal.. not much can be done other than a new tower, but thats time/money and has to be enough of a demand for it.
If you are not tied to a contract or anything, it would be more worth droping it, in my opinion... and stick with bell.  Double check DSL providers, some of them are expanding there areas, there may be something available now.

I whole heartedly agree on the pricing, at least for what you get.   I understand, that there is potentialy a little more involved for doing cellular than wired.. the hardware likely costs more, etc.  I can see the maybe plan cost being a little higher than say wired... BUT.. the usage at min, then should be still on par.  The data usage, should be the same or closer to a wired plan at minimum.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have been using the Eriksson W35 for the past three years and am contemplating upgrading to the ZTE 28B product. The W35 has given me very good service lately and has only unexpectedly disconnected on average once a week for short periods.

I am now on the border between LTE and LTE MAX according to the map on the Rogers web site, but it would be a step into the unknown for me to go from reliable 3G service to an unknown LTE future.

I notice that none of the Rogers LTE products have the ability to connect to the 700 MHz band (the now defunct analogue TV channels known for more robust signal than 2600) if it becomes available for LTE service (as many are predicting). I don't know whether they could be made to do so with a firmware update or not. But if Rogers should suddenly switch their LTE servce to 700 MHz from 2600, it would leave these devices to dangle in the wind and no way to update to newer devices without paying the hated early termination fee. 

So I am in a bit of a quandary here. 1) Stay with W35;  2) switch to ZTE;  or  3) Stay with W35 and wait for the 700 MHz band to free up and compatible devices to show up.