cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

bl1688
I've Been Around

Just want to share a long story...it happened just a few days ago but I think I may not the only person who had experienced this ...

One day, got the warning of reaching 100% of data usage of my Internet service. 

Completely shocked because it was only the 6th day into a new monthly cycle.  Immediately logged into www.rogers.com to check data usage.  WOW, 160+ GB on a particular day... yes, in one day!

How could that happen...?  I asked myself.  Turned on all (3) PCs in the house and checked the DU Meter on each.... none registered anywhere close to even 1G on that day, let alone 160G!  Very unusal but I had a hypothesis....

Picked up the phone and called Rogers tech support. 

Got into the waiting queue... and believe it or not, listented to music and waited 10+ mins, then it went to completely silent.... dialed again... finally someone picked up the call...when it was my 3rd attempted call.

Communicated of what I found... the 160G usage in one day.  Asked if he knew something had gone wrong that day at his (Rogers) end.  He said none. 

Then he got into my modem, and took no time, immediately said that my Wifi password was not good.... and he suspected someone could have hacked into my Wifi and used it to 160G....  My first reaction was... wait... he could see my Wifi key?  Ok, he had access to the cable modem and it's also the Wifi router. 

Ok.... I said, but I would not agree with him on that.

He went on and commented that because the Wifi key I chose to use was only numeric... that was known to be very weak and could be easily cracked. 

Right... I used only numeric.  And I would have to agree with him if I was using WEP, and the key was short...  But using WPA2 with only AES, 16 digit-long random numeric, and the encryption key renew every 1 hour.... (for those who know... do you think you can crack that using your computer?)  He insisted, in his personal opinion, that Wifi key was the problem...i.e. my fault.

Of course, once he had that in his head, there was nothing else he would consider.  Since I disagreed, the discussion became hot, and it went nowhere.  I became upset and he went on asking why I was upset.  Why I was upset?  I should not but I was very . off.

Let me be honest, he was not acting rude or anything like that... in fact, he was calm and was very sure about what he said.  So I decided to hang up.

To make the long story short... today, I had a Rogers service appointment... because the home phone and Internet services were up and down like a yo-yo in the past several days.  A tech came and found that the signal was very poor coming into the house, and later on, it was determined that the Rogers hub outside serving the street, was damaged due to the very recent thunder storm.

Hmmm.... hold on... that (thunder storm) was on the same day that the 160G usage was reported.... is that a coincidence?  I don't know.

Just went to www.rogers.com to check my accounts and usage..... and saw that Rogers had reset the data usage (not really 0, but set to 1M)  for the few days around the period that the 160G was logged!

Why? 

I know why.  They've used very weak password on their system, and someone might have hacked in, and reset the usage from 160G to 1M.  Of course, that's just my joke and it can't be true.

But why they went to reset the usage to 1M for those few days?  Smiley Tongue

***edited labels***

105 REPLIES 105

Re: Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

500g?? o.O
(i am hoping thats a typo, and should be only 50g)

at 500g, SOMETHING is totally up.. you would have to be maxing your connection on 150+ package, i think to get anywhere close to that, and even that would be close to impossible. 

50g.. it quite more possible.. with updates, cloud storage, etc.. can easily be done
(I had 50g of UPLOAD usage over 8 hours from leaving a torrent on... OOPS)

Nat777
I've Been Here Awhile

No typo. It is 500 gigs in one day. My day average is 1.5. Rogers "investigation" indicated it is all mine. I was using my computer for 2 hours max that day for email and filling a pdf form.

Users beware - after several phone calls and escalation to the management office I got an appointment with tech. He told me that my Rogers modem was equipped with wireless capability (never knew as I use my own secure router) and he had to disable the wireless function.

The most unfortunate part is that we, the customers, have no recourse or any opportunity to check/dispute whatever was calculated by our ISP and "investigated" after.

Thank you for your reply. I might be not a tech but I know it was not my fault...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Being a tech myself.. there are MANY things which can cause in-advertant usage... that a non tech person wouldnt necessarily be aware of..

not saying that this was your fault.. even with an accident.. that is WAY too much usage... and likely, was alot more malicious.

That you use your own router, is good.. but i am guessing was set up not in the best method. (not your fault at all, more rogers people need to be informed in how to help people set it up right).

If you would like help in proper bridge mode setup, many of us here could help you with it.  Bridge mode completely removes any routing functions from the modem.. and leaves that all in the hands of your router.  So hopefully, a lot less chance of anything happening
(i mean, there is still a chance your wifi could be hacked still, etc)

I personally belive, that internet measurement, etc.. should fall under the canadian measurement group, that establishes regulations on measurement for stuff like gas, etc.

I am running into the same problem.  Last month the usage was crazy and no one was home. Happening again this month.  Three days in and already at 10% of the usage at a new cycle. First day 1GB, second day 5GB which is okay in my books but the third day (a day when literally we were home for 2 hours) its at 30GB.

Absolutely unreasonable. I definitely think Rogers is up to something. Gonna move away soon if overage occurs this month as well.

Its troubling to see more and more posts such as this.  Given the higher data rates becoming available, this has the potential to do serious damage to the wallet.  I will post more later on locking down modem / routers, but for now, consider the possiblity of MAC address cloning on the network.  I would exchange your modem / router for another one and ensure that your network is locked down.  Meanwhile, run a google search for "DOCSIS 3.0 theft" and have a look at the top four articles.  You could power down and disconnect the modem for a day or two as a test, and enure that its recorded by talking to tech support.  At the same time that you advise tech support that you have disconnected the modem, ask them to search for the MAC address on the network.  They should not be able to find it!  If they do, then your modem's MAC address was cloned and you have been the victim of an onlne theft.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

I've had a few instances of ridiculously high daily usage without me doing anything exceptional, and each time, the culprit turned out to be a rogue web page.

Open a badly-coded, maybe-Flash-using web page in a browser tab. Forget about it for a few days. That tab can easily guzzle 5-10GB/day doing... who knows what. Downloading the same images over and over again and not caching them, perhaps?

khoda1
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in a similar situation. I've changed our wireless password several times and it's a long password with numbers, symbols, capital letters. The encryption is WPA2-AES. For some days Rogers shows download spikes of 20GB or 30GB and twice it even showed 174GB and 117GB respectively, but upload usage is always between 100 - 500MB. Our normal download usage is around 3 - 4GB. 

The only devices that connect to the internet are 3 computers, 2 android phones, and an xbox 360. I installed Networx traffic monitor several years ago on all our 3 computers and it's always running and it's always been accurate. The computers all show normal usage even on those mentioned days. I also installed a traffic monitor on my galaxy S3 and it shows low activity. The xbox is only on about 2 hours some days when I play single player though it is connected to xbox live. I doubt it is downloading on its own or been hacked or something. The only things I could think of are my dad's older pre 4.0 android phone or a computer virus . But if it was the phone wouldn't it have a noticable impact on it's battery? If it's a virus or a malware on a computer wouldn't Networx still show the high download activity?

We turned off our modem for a whole 24 hours two days ago and there was 0 activity shown for that day so it's probably not on rogers' side. I am stumped! Rogers ofcourse has been no help; they keep telling me to lower my netflix activity and I keep telling them I don't even use netflix.

Could our cable be tapped or the modem cloned? Could it be interference from our TV or phone services which are all connected by cable?

Try unplugging the Xbox for a few days. If it's an Xbox One especially, I think it's perfectly possible for it to be background downloading things...

DragonsOfWine
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Add me to the list that is battling this. I was the phone with the tech guy who told me their systems were 100% accurate (his words, not mine). When I told him about the discussion here he told me it couldn't be Rogers systems and started arguing with me. I've asked for a manager and on hold right now.

I checked and it shows about 42 GB 4 days in a row. I'm the only serious network user. We don't stream - I have a large library of DVD/BluRay.

There is only my wife and myself.

The only significant download in that period was about 17 GB for 2 free games from Origin which I can verify the download dates.

Not to mention I only got a 75% warning email right at the end of the period. Nothing for 100 %.

DragonsOfWine

Ok, so ended up chatting with a manager and we agreed that we cannot tell what caused the issue. To complicate things this happend at the changeover to a billing cycle (which was part of the reason I didn't see the 100% usage email).

They have agreed to give me a one time credit for the overcharge. We've agreed to watch if it should happen again (this happend end of May) and will dig into it right away.

khoda1
I've Been Here Awhile

Our modem is the Hitron CGN3 and I've realized "WAN recieving" and "WAN sending" in the status are our actual usage as I also have monitors on all our computers. They all agree we used downloaded about 2GB yesterday while rogers says 90GB! Now I know it has nothing to do with our side of things.

Only way to eliminate the possibility of MAC address cloning is to exchange the modem.  That is the first thing I would think of beyond the measures that you take within your own network to ensure its security.

khoda1
I've Been Here Awhile

I honestly don't understand what could be the reason for all this. A few days ago I reset the CGN3 to factory defaults and then proceeded to manually change everything back to what they were. There has been no extra usage recorded ever since. The same thing was happening last month when we were on the old Express plan and had the older modem. Again things went back to normal after the factory reset.

It might have been that the modem was stuck on requesting some data over and over again but why didn't a simple reboot fix it?We also never had this problem before last month. Why would two different modems show the same behaviour? What is there to stop it from suddenly happening and me waking up to 200GB gone in half a day?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did you do any REBOOTS other than the factory resets?

Wonder if it was some device.. which the reset obviously disconnects it.. and reconnects after a time period, then starts its usuage.

I have so far used, the Cisco, SMC, and the CGN3, and have never had any overage amounts (other than the ones i know were ME doing it per say (like 53g upload usage one day from leaving a heavy torrent on with high upload settings... ooops))

khoda1
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes I did reboot but only factory reset worked. What device could it be? I monitor all our devices and some hacker using my wifi would still be able to do it since I didn't change the password.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All depends on what you have connected?

Phones, you can usually monitor the usage on them.
PC's you can get software to monitor on them.

But there are other devices which MIGHT connect to your wireless, if you have them. (which can do downloads, etc)

Game systems.

Network attached hard drives, network printers, etc.

Smart TV's, some surround sounds.
Ipods, tablets, etc.

All in all, i would recommend changing the SSID name, the password, etc.. JUST to make sure.

(make sure to change the default rogers login as well into the device)

Peteyip
I've Been Here Awhile
Similar problem on July 23. Called Rogers, but no solution.

Peteyip
I've Been Here Awhile
Experienced exceptionally high internet usage on July 22. Called Rogers, but no solution, so far.

techguy001

One potential area of trouble I haven't heard many people talk about here is cloud storage synching processes that might be in effect on a computer such as Microsoft's Onedrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.   If these are in use, they are active in the background.   Occasionally I've seen them fail in the sync process and data can be re-sent over and over again, sometimes adding up to many gigabytes.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
A friend of mine had that with his networkable hard drive. Had a tie in on it where it could sync with your sky drive.
He didn't realize it was on.

He FILLED the drive. It kept trying to sync, failed due to not enough room, rolled back, then tried again. And again. And again.

StrangeButton
I've Been Around
I had this same issue a few months ago where 75% of my monthly usage amount (60GB) was used in a single day according to Rogers' online usage tracker. The usage logs on my router showed that only 10GB (up+down) was used from the beginning of my billing period. Router access logs showed no access from unknown devices and there was no evidence that the logs were erased either. In the end, Rogers support was completely unhelpful about my situation and blamed my network security instead.