Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Hi everyone.

Seems I have similar problem. For a while now I noticed bigger upload than download. Did antivirus scan- nothing, shut up my Blackberry Playbook- nothing, restore to factory laptop- nothing. Set another password on router= nothing. Any clue what I can do more?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I guess the next thing, would be on the devices you are using, what is your regular useage on them? What programs are you using a lot of? Skype, YouTube, etc or just reg browsing, etc.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi. Thanks for responding. For now I didn't install Skype and I don't have any P2P. I'm clueless. Checking mail and fb shouldn't do that big upload. Sometimes my hubby watches YouTube but no recently. Can Voip done that? We have phone through Internet for 3 years now, and so far we didn't have that problem, but now sometimes people complain that they can't hear me properly. Of course I change password over there too.

Cheers 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I don't know how to check usage on BB playbook .....

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

VoIP could, depending in the service and what codecs, etc that they are using.
Just checking mail shouldn't.
I'm not a PLAYBOOK user, so I can try research it later for you (currently on my phone)

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Basia wrote:

Hi everyone.

Seems I have similar problem. For a while now I noticed bigger upload than download. Did antivirus scan- nothing, shut up my Blackberry Playbook- nothing, restore to factory laptop- nothing. Set another password on router= nothing. Any clue what I can do more?

I'd do an anti-malware scan as well, and double check that theres no torrents running on any of the systems.  A lot of gaming companies have added p2p to distribute their updates, and its possible you've been sharing a game without realizing it.

Theres also backup software which can cause this type of problem, as well as running a Tor relay.

I do know how you all feel though.. I'm at 243GB this month (last month's total was only 182GB) due to WoW Beta, Diablo 3, redoing my wow UI (ie all new addons ready for 5.0.4 patch on Tuesday) as well as a ton of streaming video.  I'm on Teksavvy which has 300GB/month.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This month my internet usage has jumped from an average of 2 - 4 GB/mo to over 21GB. When I checked the daily usage, there is a significant amount of downloading and uploading during a 12 day period when I wasn't home and only used Mcdonald's or a hotel's wi-fi once or twice for a few minutes, and that wouldn't affect my Rogers usage. I have also noticed that my email is very, very slow and that I often have to repeat keystrokes to get a response.

I suspect someone is 'stealing' my usage: can anyone tell me how I can tell for sure, and also how to stop it?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello DementedNana

Which modem & do you have a password set up when entering wifi?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Having any sort of wifi or internet connected devices connected (blueray, internet capable TV, game system), can use up SOME usage... small amounts if updating inbehind the scenes, etc.. but unless something has broken on them (and continually downloading) they shouldnt use that much.

There can be things that IF you were home, could be going wonky and using up the extra.. but if you were away (no one at all home).. does sound more like you do have someone who was leaching your internet.

As Meowmix said, which modem do you have.  What sort of wireless security do you have set up on it?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Of course not, it is Rogers's problem. I just got one day over 500g overused bill, how it is possible. Still waiting on the phone for Rogers answer!!!!!!!