Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

I've pretty much had it with Rogers. I've a related yet unique issue. 

I've had Rogers Ultra Lite package for over 6 years.

For years I worked from home and was on the computer all day ever day... never even hit 75% of my usage. I do not watch movies, videos, download much... it is stictly used for email and work files.

All of a sudden after years of stable behaviour in 2015 after I had gone back to working outside the house and used the computer about 20% as much as previously, almost every month I get overage charges, often getting notices of 75% or 100% usage a couple of weeks into the billing period. Nothing has changed other than my actual use has gotten lighter, now the computer is only being used for email and looking at the odd web site. I have spoken to Rogers about this numerous times (after hours on hold etc), and they can provide no answer or ideas. 

Very frustrating!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My internet usage is seldom more than 60 gigs, almost like clockwork.  Twice recently I have hit 83 megs and Rogers has billed and penalized me.  More and more pages are streaming their information of which I have no control.

I take great issue with Roger's billing me for overuse.  If this is the case, then, I should be receiving credits for my normal under-usage, as I would think any excess is being sold to other users.  At some point, whether dedicated server or disc segment, this unused space is being utilized, and for that I should expect a credit. 
As no one ever answers these questions,just invoices outrages amounts.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@theresbob wrote:

My internet usage is seldom more than 60 gigs, almost like clockwork.  Twice recently I have hit 83 megs and Rogers has billed and penalized me.  More and more pages are streaming their information of which I have no control.

I take great issue with Roger's billing me for overuse.  If this is the case, then, I should be receiving credits for my normal under-usage, as I would think any excess is being sold to other users.  At some point, whether dedicated server or disc segment, this unused space is being utilized, and for that I should expect a credit. 
As no one ever answers these questions,just invoices outrages amounts.

@theresbob

They won't credit you for under utilizing your plan, it's just like cell phones, you don't get a credit for not using all your minutes or data. Personally I believe every home internet plan should be unlimited usage, it used to be unlimited until a few years ago. My advice is to call into Rogers and ask if they have any promotions for unlimited internet usage, you'd be surprised at the discounts on some plans. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its more than a few years ago.. your probably looking at 6 or more.. since they went metered..
But your also looking at BIG differences in SPEED too, was like 8m+ then for your mid tier.. which is now like 75mbps.

I do agree.. that all should be unlimited to start... but thats a whole other argument.

Yes, you really have no control of what the sites stream to you.. and this is one thing that MANY are not aware of when using things.. that how much usage they may actually BE using.
Streaming a youtube video to a small window, it cant take up that much?  Sure it can.. if its a 4k vid, uses a LOT, regardless of what size you view.
Even a simple thing as leaving a web page open on a machine.. if that page is reloading adds, etc.. that will all take up usage.

Unfortunately, any usage, used by their devices are their responsibility.
People on metered connections almost need to make sure that devices are completely off, etc when not used.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm thinking a Rogers Community Expert is near enough to a Rogers employee.  I cannot think of a private individual who answers questions by referring the writer to contact Rogers and ask for more.

One is not able to discern when exact over usage is being arrived at.  It is Roger's obligation to not allow this by use of a "governor" (as in autos achieving certain speeds).  The user can then be asked if they prefer to go beyond the limit at that point.

Yes they currently flash a warning you are getting close...but how close?  The 80 meg should be capped, if not, this appears as though Rogers wants you to go beyond the limit.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

This whole discussion I agree fully with - Rogers is the only provider that now does not provide unlimited available on low and middle tier packages.

That is the first point.

The second point I agree with, is that because the usage report is so delayed, the warning often means, stop using, you may actually be over.  But at least it is a warning.

Finally, a community expert is in no way associated with Rogers, they are individuals like you or me - anyone with a high degree of knowledge can apply to become one.

And finally would a private individual suggest you go to Rogers and ask - If I don't have the answer, and I know from experience on the forum that the question being addressed is only one that can be dealt with by going to Rogers, then I tell them that right away - I am of the view, why spend time getting non-answers here when the only people that can address the question is an employee with access to your account and individual information.

In addition, it provides the first step for escalation if unsastisfied with the proposed resolutions.  Saying something here is just a public statement and cannot be used in any escalation process.

As for law suits, I am sure there are probably all sorts of disclaimers in our terms that prevent that - the first line of approach for concerns, is actually legislatively defined and implemented through the CRTC and CCTC or federal legislation, and each company has a publically  posted process to proceed with.

So in the case of wanting to be heard and see what can be offered, I will say as a fairly active user and supporter of the board that you can vent here on this issue, but to see if you concerns can be supported in some way you will have to start with contacting a CSR or other support channel to begin to work with the issue and see what can be done for you.

Bruce