Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Just want to share a long story...it happened just a few days ago but I think I may not the only person who had experienced this ...

One day, got the warning of reaching 100% of data usage of my Internet service. 

Completely shocked because it was only the 6th day into a new monthly cycle.  Immediately logged into www.rogers.com to check data usage.  WOW, 160+ GB on a particular day... yes, in one day!

How could that happen...?  I asked myself.  Turned on all (3) PCs in the house and checked the DU Meter on each.... none registered anywhere close to even 1G on that day, let alone 160G!  Very unusal but I had a hypothesis....

Picked up the phone and called Rogers tech support. 

Got into the waiting queue... and believe it or not, listented to music and waited 10+ mins, then it went to completely silent.... dialed again... finally someone picked up the call...when it was my 3rd attempted call.

Communicated of what I found... the 160G usage in one day.  Asked if he knew something had gone wrong that day at his (Rogers) end.  He said none. 

Then he got into my modem, and took no time, immediately said that my Wifi password was not good.... and he suspected someone could have hacked into my Wifi and used it to 160G....  My first reaction was... wait... he could see my Wifi key?  Ok, he had access to the cable modem and it's also the Wifi router. 

Ok.... I said, but I would not agree with him on that.

He went on and commented that because the Wifi key I chose to use was only numeric... that was known to be very weak and could be easily cracked. 

Right... I used only numeric.  And I would have to agree with him if I was using WEP, and the key was short...  But using WPA2 with only AES, 16 digit-long random numeric, and the encryption key renew every 1 hour.... (for those who know... do you think you can crack that using your computer?)  He insisted, in his personal opinion, that Wifi key was the problem...i.e. my fault.

Of course, once he had that in his head, there was nothing else he would consider.  Since I disagreed, the discussion became hot, and it went nowhere.  I became upset and he went on asking why I was upset.  Why I was upset?  I should not but I was very . off.

Let me be honest, he was not acting rude or anything like that... in fact, he was calm and was very sure about what he said.  So I decided to hang up.

To make the long story short... today, I had a Rogers service appointment... because the home phone and Internet services were up and down like a yo-yo in the past several days.  A tech came and found that the signal was very poor coming into the house, and later on, it was determined that the Rogers hub outside serving the street, was damaged due to the very recent thunder storm.

Hmmm.... hold on... that (thunder storm) was on the same day that the 160G usage was reported.... is that a coincidence?  I don't know.

Just went to www.rogers.com to check my accounts and usage..... and saw that Rogers had reset the data usage (not really 0, but set to 1M)  for the few days around the period that the 160G was logged!

Why? 

I know why.  They've used very weak password on their system, and someone might have hacked in, and reset the usage from 160G to 1M.  Of course, that's just my joke and it can't be true.

But why they went to reset the usage to 1M for those few days?  Smiley Tongue

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Why are you still with Rogers? Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Had the similiar problem with you last week. The tracker recoreded unusual high number of usage starting from Monday, July 23rd in couple of days and made the usage went over 88G of the limit 120G for the month of July. Called the rogers 4 times and they opened a ticket to fix the tracking system problem and promised to credit back the additional usage charge.

Don't know what will happen in this month before they notify me the problem fixed.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not to say this wasnt a problem on rogers end.. it quite possibly was.. a mistake, a bug etc.

But i can understand the tech's reasoning behind what he was saying.  Even though he was wrong, with your key, etc you should be ok...

You have to look at it.. 8/10 times, it likely DOES come from the users end.  Many people, when they set up their ineternet and wireless.. dont even set up the wifi password.

And even when they do.. its very weak, etc.

Again, hopefuly its just  a bug, and it doesnt happen again to you 🙂

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm having a similar problem, but the actual downloading was from a stupid macmini that went on and on trying to download updates. However they failed to notify me in time and my "allowance" was 40GB over the limit, they skipped the 75% notification and jumped straight to the 100%, I checked immediately and saw I was 40GB over a 60GB plan. I called customer service to see why they waited for 4 days to send the message and the CR basically said it was my fault, she actually said the 75% was sent over a month ago, i said, that's from the previous bill, before the counter reset. I'm switching to another ISP and if I was you, I'd do the same. It will happen again for sure and you might not be so lucky next time. Cheers.
I've Been Around

hi ant_onion,

I am having the same issue with my 60 gb cap and all that has really changed is adding a new macmini. I have never been close to going over until this month. how did you confirm that it was the macmini trying to install updates? I am worried it is trying to install Mountain Lion but failing or something, although I am still waiting for my free uprade key from Apple.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Downloading any OS like that (even without it getting in a loop).. or even a game (through steam, blizzard games, etc), sometimes can be quite large... and use up much of the usage.
I used 1/2 of my 80 a month ago, downloading Diablo3 and the Wow beta.. at 20g+ each.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi psbeegs

I was trying to reinstall Lion on a Mac mini, a download that is about 4.2 GB and apparently the computer tried to download it several times while I was not aware of it. Having failed to do so, I took the computer to the Mac store where they installed the OS and used for a couple of days, then I received the notification saying that I reached 100% of my data allowance. I was actually 40GB over the limit when I received the message and it was almost 4 days since the download took place, you can see all that on the details when you login to the "check your usage" page.

As we have similar computers and you're close to reaching the limit, I would wait until your counter resets and monitor the whole process of upgrading. If you fail, don't try it more that twice and take the computer to the mac store. Furthermore, I would try to get a hard copy of the OS. I think they sell a bootable flash drive with the OS in it for about $70. That can't be right either. (We're getting screwed every which way. LOL)

I'm downgrading to Snow Leopard. Lion doesn't seem to work well with Pro Tools and Adobe CS6 and they both worked like a charmed on SL.

Also, I'm leaving Rogers for good. I had it with them. I'm getting an unlimited data plan with another ISP and I've seen several plans that cost almost the same I'm paying for 60 lousy GB.

Good luck,

/a

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi there,

I am also having an issue with very high internet usage recorded....here's the thing...we weren't even home for the past 5 days.  How is it that Roger's  claims we have used 75% of our monthly usage in the past 48 hours?  hmmm

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Was there ANY device in the house that could have connected, updating?

What form of security are you running with your router/gateway? Is it possible that someone has your wifi password and been leeching your connection?