Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Re: Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Has anyone ever heard of this story?

http://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/1uoobz/60_gigs_of_usage_came_out_of_nowhere_so_i_called/

Looks like its not happening

http://globalnews.ca/news/1072758/rogers-denies-charging-internet-customers-for-traffic-that-doesnt-...

but... there were many complaints

in any case, that's not the issue here as these spikes don't seem to be appearing in the router stats

i have to say though that this is very disconcerting for any customer to have to be stressed out over this... Rogers needs to come up with a procedure to ensure that customers don't get billed for these spikes... i've sent in a concern through the rogers.com contacts page and i encourage anyone else to do so... no one should be paying for these extreme spikes

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Those links are old news.  There is a thread somewhere on the forum concerning that topic.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that was Very old... and alot of false claims.

I have used all the rogers D3 modems, other than the CGN2.. and never had an issue it counting any internal traffic.  And i move GBs sometimes daily, across them from my one PC to server.

Right around the time that the reddit post came out, i was on the same modem at the time.
I was in the process of moving my MEDIA SERVER PC info to my combined server.  I moved about 1.5tb worth of stuff.
I didnt get charged for it.

If anything the users in those threads, were experiencing what the people currently are (mac cloning or what ever other issue)

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Total usage: 177.41  GB , Remaining: 180 GB, Downloaded: 2.46 GB , Uploaded: 0.13GB

New cycle starts in 27 days   . This doesn't make sense. Please assist.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A) Unplug, disconect (for wireless stuff), etc everything inside of the house that is connected.  
JUST to eliminate anything internal in which could be causing it.
(its not completely unknown for CLOUD syncing on things, etc.. to get caught in a loop and continually keep trying and re trying to download / sync stuff)

B) Change your wifi password, etc.. make sure its strong, etc.. to make sure its not someone leaching off your wifi

B) As been mentioned in this thread before.. there is a chance of it being someone else with a MAC cloned modem.. using your usage, while on another another connection alltogether.. their modem appearing to be yours.  Best bet may be to swap your modem at your closest rogers store.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm running files upload (security images), no download happens. So Rogers takes my upload bandwidth (which is mesaured correctly), multiplies it by 10 (download speed 10 times upload), - and gets download bandwidth, which I don't use. It is ridiculos. They investigating this issue for two weeks (or longer) by now and no resolution so far. They should stop outsourcing development - cheaper developers doesn't neccessary mean smart developers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Same thing happened to me last month, 29 GB of usage in one day, and no one was home half of that day. I am the only user, with one laptop and one phone on the network. I was charged  $2.00 /GB, they said they can't explain it?  Tried to reset my modem password,  couldn't access my modem setup, neither could rogers. They said they can't see my modem on their network???????

And the story goes on.....

Highlighted

Good morning @Robie1,

If we can't see your modem from our end, then we must do some additional troubleshooting to resolve find out why. We may need to send out a tech in this case.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps and I will further assist. Thank you.

RogersCorey

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you read back through this thread..
My guess is that its likely 'MAC cloning'

Especially if they are having issues accessing your modem.. may be more issues that the cloned modem is still on the network somewhere and then rogers end is having issues because there are two of them out there.

Best bet would be to go in and swap your modem.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ty, I'll make sure to do that first.