Though I doubt it's the cause, give malwarebytes a try for scan, the others don't do the greatest job at malware scan.
The odd part with your usage is how sporadic it is. Fine for a number of days, then the big spike.
I am almost leaning towards the possibility of some of the reports of MAC cloning. People using a modem with a faked MAC address of another user, so the usage appears on the others account.
One thing to do just to eliminate that would be to go in and swap your modem
Well, interesting how many of you experienced what I went through last month. Luckily no one came close to my record of 500 gigs in one day. Evidently, everyone has similar experience with Rogers customer service/tech support, as it seems that in all these cases Rogers never admitted that it was its fault. I think that it is not a grandiose scheme that Rogers put together to get more money from its customers – it is just a simple case or rather many cases when its system that counts our gigs has simply malfunctioned. And Rogers will never admit it. If they even keep logs on Rogers customers, we will never know the truth. I went through a bunch of managers and nobody would cooperate and continued blaming my password.
I will tell you what I have done. I insisted on a new modem from them (it was never offerd) – 3 technicians after I got one. I have my own router and I still use my old password. I never disconnected my Internet for 24 hours – it is completely useless advice as I have never before or after (with old and new modem) got above 2 gigs per day. Make you own conclusion! Including you, the resident expert! It was never my fault and when you talk to some more oursoked Rogers tech, he easily admits that.
I got my “one time only credit”. Thank you CRTC for being here for us! So at least we are not stuck with a bill of $500 but only a possibility of $100. You can continue blame viruses, cloning, etc. The fact remains we are powerless to prove that it is not our fault and apparently Rogers does not have to provide us with any prove that its measurements are correct.
Dear experts, please share your wisdom on how to check your usage when using your own router, particularly Apple Airport. Perhaps I can stick it to Rogers if it will happen to me again. I really really want to!
At the end of 2012, Rogers did sign up with PwC to prove that their data usage tracking tools were reliable, but I haven't heard word if they got certified or not.
Link to Rogers Press Release.: https://www.rogers.com/web/link/showNewsDetail?fromWhere=linkInRSSXml&rssBusiUnit=R&NewsID=201121243...
Has This Been Happenening To Many People? I've Was Worrying that I was the only one. anyways My family and I Came back from our vaction and 2 days later our download usuage just skyrocketed from 450mbs all the way to 295000mb without us realizing until we recieved the 75% warning....(BIG UNDERSTATEMENT) We Have past our limit 300GB By a whopping 223GB... WE OWE ROGERS $446.I HIGHLY, VERY HIGHLY DOUBT THAT THIS MUCH CAN BE USED IN 2 DAYS. (By us)
Yes, happened to me too.
Last month we had spikes of 280GB in one day, our usual usage is 1GB.
This month again a spike of 75GB when we weren't at home.
This has all since happened we moved to a new modem.
Next time I call Rogers I will be mentioning that I will make a complaint to the CRTC.
I'm fed up with customer service reps following have you changed your password, have you shut off the modem, have you been using P2P, have been using netflix a lot (Impossible to watch 250GB worth of content in a day), etc, etc, script.
Thought I am the only one. I have been dealing with Rogers for 3 straight weeks now regarding my high and unsual usage. First I noticed I used 100gb in one day. And that's the day we were at the EX the entire day. And a week later I got charge 59gb and 262 gb on 2 consecutive days. and a few 50-60 days. Within the first 10days we used close to 500gb. I called Tech support and they promised to call back 24/48 hrs and they never did. So i called back another 3-4 times and everytime its a different story. Your ticket just got submitted, your ticket don't have enough information on it, your ticket did not go thru... etc. Finally I call in one morning and they promised to call me back in 24/48 hours and I got a phone call saying it's a counter problem and it's been fixed. And guessed what? The past weekend we were away and we got charged another 100 and 79gb. Never end.. So I had my modem unplugged for the 2nd time for 24 hr. Let's see what happened.. as of now I am at 600gb usage. Normal monthly use for us is less than 80gb.
Keeping the thread alive..
This has started happening to me since mid-September. Spikes that happen once every week or two, ranging from 30 GB to 430 GB. I kid you not, 430 GB in a single day. I don't even think that's physically possible with my internet speed running at max for 24 hours. I'm up to 1 TB for October! Meanwhile my modem only shows ~40 GB LAN/20GB WAN for the month. I previously changed up all my passwords, wireless network name, set MAC filtering for just my devices.. and spikes still happening
The poor phone support guys don't have many more resources than I do, probably just the same table I have that shows [DAY] - [DOWNLOADS] - [UPLOADS], so they can't pinpoint what's going on. It's frustrating having to call up and try and get my bill adjusted each month. I was just given my first ticket so hopefully someone higher up in resources can do so investigating.
I wish there was more tools available for seeing specifically what is generating this traffic but at the same time that means your private data is more "out there"