Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Very Unusual High Internet Usage Recorded - Customer's Fault?

wondering if your problem was resolved and what can be done. i have similar problem as rogers is saying that i used 500 gigs in one day. i know that i was on my mac for 1.5 hour, checked my emails and chatted for 45 min that day.  appreciate your input

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

500g?? o.O
(i am hoping thats a typo, and should be only 50g)

at 500g, SOMETHING is totally up.. you would have to be maxing your connection on 150+ package, i think to get anywhere close to that, and even that would be close to impossible. 

50g.. it quite more possible.. with updates, cloud storage, etc.. can easily be done
(I had 50g of UPLOAD usage over 8 hours from leaving a torrent on... OOPS)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

No typo. It is 500 gigs in one day. My day average is 1.5. Rogers "investigation" indicated it is all mine. I was using my computer for 2 hours max that day for email and filling a pdf form.

Users beware - after several phone calls and escalation to the management office I got an appointment with tech. He told me that my Rogers modem was equipped with wireless capability (never knew as I use my own secure router) and he had to disable the wireless function.

The most unfortunate part is that we, the customers, have no recourse or any opportunity to check/dispute whatever was calculated by our ISP and "investigated" after.

Thank you for your reply. I might be not a tech but I know it was not my fault...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Being a tech myself.. there are MANY things which can cause in-advertant usage... that a non tech person wouldnt necessarily be aware of..

not saying that this was your fault.. even with an accident.. that is WAY too much usage... and likely, was alot more malicious.

That you use your own router, is good.. but i am guessing was set up not in the best method. (not your fault at all, more rogers people need to be informed in how to help people set it up right).

If you would like help in proper bridge mode setup, many of us here could help you with it.  Bridge mode completely removes any routing functions from the modem.. and leaves that all in the hands of your router.  So hopefully, a lot less chance of anything happening
(i mean, there is still a chance your wifi could be hacked still, etc)

I personally belive, that internet measurement, etc.. should fall under the canadian measurement group, that establishes regulations on measurement for stuff like gas, etc.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am running into the same problem.  Last month the usage was crazy and no one was home. Happening again this month.  Three days in and already at 10% of the usage at a new cycle. First day 1GB, second day 5GB which is okay in my books but the third day (a day when literally we were home for 2 hours) its at 30GB.

Absolutely unreasonable. I definitely think Rogers is up to something. Gonna move away soon if overage occurs this month as well.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its troubling to see more and more posts such as this.  Given the higher data rates becoming available, this has the potential to do serious damage to the wallet.  I will post more later on locking down modem / routers, but for now, consider the possiblity of MAC address cloning on the network.  I would exchange your modem / router for another one and ensure that your network is locked down.  Meanwhile, run a google search for "DOCSIS 3.0 theft" and have a look at the top four articles.  You could power down and disconnect the modem for a day or two as a test, and enure that its recorded by talking to tech support.  At the same time that you advise tech support that you have disconnected the modem, ask them to search for the MAC address on the network.  They should not be able to find it!  If they do, then your modem's MAC address was cloned and you have been the victim of an onlne theft.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

I've had a few instances of ridiculously high daily usage without me doing anything exceptional, and each time, the culprit turned out to be a rogue web page.

Open a badly-coded, maybe-Flash-using web page in a browser tab. Forget about it for a few days. That tab can easily guzzle 5-10GB/day doing... who knows what. Downloading the same images over and over again and not caching them, perhaps?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in a similar situation. I've changed our wireless password several times and it's a long password with numbers, symbols, capital letters. The encryption is WPA2-AES. For some days Rogers shows download spikes of 20GB or 30GB and twice it even showed 174GB and 117GB respectively, but upload usage is always between 100 - 500MB. Our normal download usage is around 3 - 4GB. 

The only devices that connect to the internet are 3 computers, 2 android phones, and an xbox 360. I installed Networx traffic monitor several years ago on all our 3 computers and it's always running and it's always been accurate. The computers all show normal usage even on those mentioned days. I also installed a traffic monitor on my galaxy S3 and it shows low activity. The xbox is only on about 2 hours some days when I play single player though it is connected to xbox live. I doubt it is downloading on its own or been hacked or something. The only things I could think of are my dad's older pre 4.0 android phone or a computer virus . But if it was the phone wouldn't it have a noticable impact on it's battery? If it's a virus or a malware on a computer wouldn't Networx still show the high download activity?

We turned off our modem for a whole 24 hours two days ago and there was 0 activity shown for that day so it's probably not on rogers' side. I am stumped! Rogers ofcourse has been no help; they keep telling me to lower my netflix activity and I keep telling them I don't even use netflix.

Could our cable be tapped or the modem cloned? Could it be interference from our TV or phone services which are all connected by cable?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Try unplugging the Xbox for a few days. If it's an Xbox One especially, I think it's perfectly possible for it to be background downloading things...

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Add me to the list that is battling this. I was the phone with the tech guy who told me their systems were 100% accurate (his words, not mine). When I told him about the discussion here he told me it couldn't be Rogers systems and started arguing with me. I've asked for a manager and on hold right now.

I checked and it shows about 42 GB 4 days in a row. I'm the only serious network user. We don't stream - I have a large library of DVD/BluRay.

There is only my wife and myself.

The only significant download in that period was about 17 GB for 2 free games from Origin which I can verify the download dates.

Not to mention I only got a 75% warning email right at the end of the period. Nothing for 100 %.