Very Slow Internet (Rogers Ultimate)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Very Slow Internet (Rogers Ultimate)

I have rogers Ultimate and I am really ticked off. Why is Internet in Canada so horrible? I get disconnected multiple times a day randomly, and the download speeds are simply laughable. Using P2P to download a 1GB file has taken me 6 hours! This is not normal, Rogers makes enough money yet they put this bandwidth limits and internet throttlnig. 50mb download and im downloading at under 100KB/s...

Is TekSavvy any better? Even with this 30% discount from Rogers Ultimate I still find it is NOT worth it at all.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Very Slow Internet (Rogers Ultimate)

Have you contacted tech support?  There are things they can check.

I've been lurking in the Teksavvy forum and people there complain a lot about their connection going down, so I've decided to pass (at least for now) since Rogers has been pretty stable for me for 5+ years.  I'd be happier if they were to hike the bandwidth limit though.

I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Hi Michel... can you please post some links to the tecksavvy forums... where people are having problems.. because if you can't one has to wonder if you just are not spreading rumors instead of fact.. it is an easy thing to do... being a technical forum and all

Here you go: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

I started following the forum a couple of months ago, to see what people said of the service (I'm now streaming (Netflix, TV channel web sites...) instead of using cable TV, so I could use the extra bandwidth at times, though I have yet to exceed my current 100Gb limit.)  When I first started lurking, most of the problems had to do with the initial connection - e.g. stuff like the technician not putting a TPIA tag on the line, so Rogers would disconnect them assuming there was no cable service anymore - not too big a deal if you were aware of it and could ask the technician to make sure to put a TPIA tag.  But in the past few weeks there's been a lot of complaints about frequent disconnects, or even going a week or two without the Internet - not acceptable for me.  It seems that it's really just Teksavvy growing too quickly and not being able to keep up - both good and bad for them, I guess.  I'm not trashing them - you can see from TSI employees' replies that they care. But since reliability is more important than speed or bandwidth for me, I've decided to sit it out and wait for now.

By the way, you post a lot of stuff without backing many of your claims (some of which are "tin-foil hat worthy"), so you may want to look in your own backyard when you ask others for any kind of proof...

I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

There is no perfect ISP.

Market Place reported Telus as having the slowest DL speeds of the major ISP's tested (Bell,Telus,Rogers and some others).

Telus customers comlain about slow speeds.

Bell customers complain about slow speeds.

etc. etc.

All in all , the internet is basically getting congested with online movies , P2P etc. and it's a mish mash of hops to get to any site.

@BeerHunter125  You're absolutely right.  I have yet to see any ISP with a 100% satistifed customer base - Rogers, Bell, Videotron, Shaw, Telus, Teksavvy, Distributel, Primus etc... all have their very satisfied and very dissatisfied customers.  There's always "something".  But then again that goes for just about any service.  **bleep**, a lot of people **bleep** about Canada Post, but for me they've always been more reliable and trouble-free than the courier services that some people worship.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ive been seeing slow download speeds aswell... Im payin for the 100$ one the 50mbs/2mbs download/upload and all ive been getting for the past month was 3mbs download adn 2mbs upload... I play warcraft and noticed this just now that rogers seems criminal... we pay for things yet they can throttle it because its causing network traffic... its not our problem there network cant handle all of this and should either A) Quit, B) Fix the problem and let everyone know they cant give the speeds they are promising now cause there network sucks and dont wanna fix it cause it costs money. C) Kill yourselves... (Really plz do that rogers) D) All of the above... I'm seeing posts all across canada that Rogers throttles anything they possibly can... 1 that caught my eye was this. http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/CRTC+tells+Rogers+stop+slowing+down+speed+online+games/5413667/s... I have a friend who lives in montreal that told me about this so, ofcourse i had to follow up on it. And if there doing that then there doing lots of other things... What caught my eye in that article was this... "For its part, Rogers said that "gamers are some of our best customers," and encouraged them to contact the company if they're having issues." Ive contacted them many many times as its my dollar being spent and quite alot for what we are actually getting... they still havnt fixed it... Ive noted in my calls many many times i play online games and am an avid world of warcraft player and they still havnt fixed it... just a side note the technician was dumb as a mule and had something going on his laptop to make his speeds 68mbs and 4mbs download....
I Plan to Stick Around

@MichelR wrote:

@BeerHunter125  You're absolutely right.  I have yet to see any ISP with a 100% satistifed customer base - Rogers, Bell, Videotron, Shaw, Telus, Teksavvy, Distributel, Primus etc... all have their very satisfied and very dissatisfied customers.  There's always "something".  But then again that goes for just about any service.  **bleep**, a lot of people **bleep** about Canada Post, but for me they've always been more reliable and trouble-free than the courier services that some people worship.

All the ping, jitter, and packet loss problems began when Rogers began upgrading hardware. Whatever they are trying to do is not working. I'm with TekSavvy, and my internet was rock solid for over a year until the recent month, when everything went to sh!t coincidentally when the upgrading began. I can't even play MMOs properly with this kind of packet loss. The game freezes, and then tries to catch up in fast forward speed. I'm downloading a game update right now; at most I get 120kb/s. At worst, 30kb/s. This is ridiculous.

So for those thinking about switching to TekSavvy: DON'T. It's the same over here right now since they are a Rogers Cable reseller. You're slow, we're slower. =/ I wish this nightmare would end.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh well this makes too much sense....

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CRTC-to-Rogers-Fix-Your-Broken-Throttling-System-116160

Rogers is simply throttling everything, and it's broken as **bleep**. Thanks Robbers.
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

A technical question for you Rogers Ultimate users...  when you experience INTERNET slowdowns.... does it affect your ability to STREAM rogers video content???

It would be INTERESTING to find out if your ability to STREAM video content wasn't affected when your internet connections suffer slowdowns.. you know... Rogers priortizing its video content over internet content, just to compensate for Netflix etc...

please can you guys check this out for S and giggles... and post back

check out this site http://www.rogersondemand.com/.... by all rights your playback should suffer when your internet slows to a crawl

Thanks