Very Slow Internet (Rogers Ultimate)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Very Slow Internet (Rogers Ultimate)

same for me - it's $99/mo + modem rental + taxes and tech support is beyond useless. Uhm... uh... hmmm - let me put you on hold...

I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Call or message the CRTC... and complaint that Rogers throttling of service is OBVIOULSLY  impeding the packagae price that you are paying for.. call up billing telling them you have filed a complaint with the CRTC and DEMANDa refund EQUAL to what you are getting in DL speeds... and definately call/email the CRTC..

I've Been Around

Um, yeah. I'm from Ottawa on 'Ultimate'. Since Ultimate became available until Sep. 1st, perfect speeds... since Sep 1st, significant slowdowns afternoons and weekends. Really unfortunate as Rogers has been pretty good and consistent to me for years.

I've had multiple tickets opened, all of which were escalated. Annoyingly, they close tickets without resolution or call back. A technician also came to my house. He was useless. They all 'escalated' to someone with great urgency to get me out of their hair, but I never heard anything back and I every time I call, it's the same joke scripts over and over.

I work in a production IT environment, so I'm pretty understanding when it comes to problems and challenges that happen. I've been patient for the last 2.5 months as I recieved refunds, but tonight just made me laugh (<2 Mbps down). It's officially been too long for my patience.

Tomorrow, someone else is getting my business.

PS. I have to chuckle at the things phone techs say... the highlight in this saga was when I was told to set my interface to 10Mbps half duplex because that's the only configuration Rogers officially supports. HA!

I've Been Here Awhile

I had the same problems, then went in and demanded the new Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0... fixed the problem right away. 

That being said, I had to research the problem extensively on the internet (on non-peak hours :P) and found that Rogers offers this modem over the SMC D3GN.  Tech support never even mentioned it, and I had to be pretty direct at the Rogers store to get one in my hands.

And THAT being said, tech support had no idea how to help me log into the modem to customize it.  I had to again figure that one out for myself.  I was told that the username and password to log onto it via 192.168.0.1 "works on some of them, but not on others".  Brilliant. 

I Plan to Stick Around

THIS APPLIES TO EVERYONE WITH THE NEW SMC ROUTER/MODEM COMBO. THEY ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE THATS THE REASON YOU GET 1MBPS AT NIGHT. This is what i recomend Get a Linksys or Dlink wirless G or N routers and hook them up to the SMC Gateway . you will notice a big preformance difference. I had this issue until 2 minutes ago when i installed my old linksys Wifi G router and now im getting 20MBPS on Express. ITS THE CRAPPY SMC ROUTER.............. $170 PIECE OF **beep**

I Plan to Stick Around

I was at 21 Mbps last week ( Extreme) I swithced to Extreme Plus this month  and my speed dropped to 11 Mps hahah..   Still ok but nowhere near the advertized 32.00. But at least I have 150 G  to burn and trust me Rogers I will use every bit of it !!   It seems to me  Rogers must have an issue but  forget it if you expect to get a sensible response.. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I need to upgrade my modem ..

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

did you not read tpb3000s post? DO NOT GET THE SMC MODEM or your speed will go down to 1MBPS

I Plan to Stick Around

This is exacalty what worries me about upgrading the modem.. I am in a situation where I am not getting what I paid for but then again if I get the new modem I might be worse off . I rely on my internet to make a living ( I trade Fx)  

I Plan to Stick Around

its the WIRELESS IN THE MODEM,NOT the modem.

Try this. DO a Direct connection From modem to your pc, run speed test.net see what you get 

Then connect pc via WIfi and do the same test 

If the wifi is wayy lower than direct connection then just get a new router like linksys and disable wifi on the modem

SMC sucks