Verizon Galaxy Nexus Unlocked For Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Verizon Galaxy Nexus Unlocked For Rogers

I don't know how many versions there will be for Verizon. But I have a friend that is in the US with Verizon. If I cannot get the phone here quickly, or if it is cheaper to outright buy from the US. Will an unlocked phone work with Rogers? What about the other speeds... Edge, 3G, 4G, LTE? I used to know the GSM, CDMA game. All this new stuff with HSPA+, etc. is confusing now. I saw the specs had CDMA and GSM? Or are we limited to the knowledge of full specs on the Galaxay Nexus?

******* Edit labels ********

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Verizon Galaxy Nexus Unlocked For Rogers

@moman wrote:

I don't know how many versions there will be for Verizon. But I have a friend that is in the US with Verizon. If I cannot get the phone here quickly, or if it is cheaper to outright buy from the US. Will an unlocked phone work with Rogers? What about the other speeds... Edge, 3G, 4G, LTE? I used to know the GSM, CDMA game. All this new stuff with HSPA+, etc. is confusing now. I saw the specs had CDMA and GSM? Or are we limited to the knowledge of full specs on the Galaxay Nexus?

Verizon normally runs off CDMA and LTE, and their version of the phone is not exaclty the one you want, unless you want LTE and pay $50 for 10GB. 

There's a version Galaxy Nexus that comes with a Petaband, which includes GSM, HSPA+ ( 4G ), which will work with Rogers. 

There's a GT-i9250M model coming to Canada in November, so you may not need your friend to get it.

If Bell gets it, you can just buy it off them.

Rogers SHOULD be getting it though, at least, they better be! 😉  

If you ever get phones from the States, you want AT&T versions ( GSM, HSPA+ )

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks! I figured that. Tmobile would work aswell I believe? Just curious, would the Verizon phone work if I got the LTE plan, but where there was no LTE coverage, I would be out of luck on getting the lower signal? 3G, Edge? Yeah, hoping it will be easier to get it here from Bell or Rogers. The price of buying it outright in the US is a lot lower though.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, T-Mobile works as well. 

Just get the phone that has GSM, HSPA+. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@KG2011 wrote:

Yes, T-Mobile works as well. 

Just get the phone that has GSM, HSPA+. 

Just to clarify, HSPA+ is LTE?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

@moman

Nope HSPA+ is 4G. It will show on your phone H+ on some devices.. (that is what they call 4G)

LTE is different then HSPA+ its higher then all of those in data wise.

I Plan to Stick Around

Don't worry about the whole importing ordeal.

The Nexus is coming to Rogers. 😉
I've Been Around

In the spirit of precision, HSPA+ is commonly referred to as "3.5G", as it's based off of essentially the same protocol, but offers higher download speeds. To clarifiy, here you go:

3G - 7.2Mbps

HSPA - 14.4 Mbps

HSPA+ - ~21Mbps

LTE (Long Term Evolution, "true" 4G) - 42Mbps.

Conclusion: LTE is bloody fast and true 4G. Everything else is pretty much 3G under the hood, but with the speed bump. You can think of it as Apple's "s" iPhones (iPhone 3G vs. iPhone 3Gs, or iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4s). They're essentially the same thing but with a speed bump. But the iPhone 5, when it comes out, will be a different beast. 

Make sense? If I'm mistaken in my understanding please let me know. My impression is that 1 carrier started calling HSPA+ "4G" as part of a marketting advantage, and everybody else just followed suit. But it's really a misuse of the acronym.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Right on the money Baldwin straight up marketing ploy. HSPA is like 3.5G,Hspa+ 3.75G.
LTE and wimax are the true 4G. It seems as if LTE will emerge as the one supreme 4G.
I've Been Here Awhile

MOMAN be careful because Verizon uses cdma like bell and telus. Sprint and at&the use gsm. If you buy a cdma-lte phone and connect to rogers you'll only be able to use
LTE or worse.