VCR and digital adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

VCR and digital adapter

Hi there, 

The cable knob broke off my tv (my 3 year old, 2000$ tv) when I first tried to connect the digital adapter. Two tv repair people told me it'd cost 150$ for a 20% chance of success if they soldered the broken piece back on. Since then, I've been running my cable through a VCR and its worked fine (albeit with some missing and fuzzy channels). When I try to plug in the digital adaptor (wall to DTA, DTA to VCR, VCR to TV), a message comes up on my tv "we've detected a service interruption Please contact your cable provider to restore service". I tried calling, and they refered me back to rogers.com. 

Any suggestions? (other than making Rogers buy me a new tv??)

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: VCR and digital adapter

Question..

So with your setup..  you are coax cable from the wall, to your DTA,  Coax from the DTA to the VCR... then via RCA (yellow video, red/white audio) into the TV?

When trying to use the DTA... you need to have the VCR left on channel 3, your TV on the the video input that has the vcr plugged into.

And use the DTA remote to change the channels, etc.

That sounds like a display issue from the TV or the VCR rather than the rogers box, giving that message. 

All in all, your TV should be fine (if its only 3 years old and that much money).
I would call then back, and complain.. see if you can finagle and get them to give you a free DIGITAL box.

Still need to use the remote for the digital box and not the TV.. BUT, will give you a full digital HD signal, on that TV would give you a 10x better picture, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the tips! 

Alas I tried again and it still didn't work (and came up with the service interruption message). I will try calling back when I have some patience saved up (last call didn't go too well, the Rogers person spoke to me like I was an idiot for thinking the box would work via a VCR, and just kept telling me to go to rogers.com..)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmmm.
It will work, I used to do the same in the basement with my old tv and an sd digital box, in the same sort of config.
Essentially as long as the VCR is set right to pass through it should be no different than the analog right from the wall into it.
You just can't tune, change the channels, etc via the VCR/tv. Has to be done via the dta remote.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Vega 152, I had the same problem when I first hooked up my adapters. Once I called Rogers to have them activated, all

went well.