Using a separate router with Cisco DPC3825 - fastest option for myself, slowest for roommates?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Using a separate router with Cisco DPC3825 - fastest option for myself, slowest for roommates?

I have two roommates who barely use the internet, and I use it for gaming and downloading and all that. Up until now we've just used the Cisco DPC3825 as our wireless router. But today I found my Linksys WRT54G and want to use it instead because I assume it's faster/better. I just want to know how I should set it up in order to get the most speed and reliability for myself. It's OK if my roommates get stuck with a worse connection, lol. So please pick the best option below and explain to my why:

1) Leave the existing connection from the Cisco DPC3825 for my roommates to use, and add my Linksys router and only use its connection myself. So this way 2 connections would be running at the same time, is that bad for any reason?

2) Eliminate the Cisco DPC3825's connection and give my roommates the password for the Linksys one. This way we would all be sharing its connection. Would that be bad or good?

3) Or should I connect the Cisco to the Linksys through a regular port rather than the WAN port?

4) Is there a bridging setup that would work best? I already have my xbox 360 bridged to my laptop via LAN...

Or does it not make any difference?

Thanks,

Mitch

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: Using a separate router with Cisco DPC3825 - fastest option for myself, slowest for roommates?

WRT54G?!?!?!?!

The WRT54G is over a decade old.

I don't think anyone here would say that the Cisco DPC3825 is good, but a decade-old router with a 125-240MHz CPU is likely going to perform much, much, much worse. Also, you didn't mention wireless, but 802.11g is very dated too, and everything that's been sold for at least 5 years supports at least 150 megabit/sec single-stream single-band 802.11n.

Honestly, I'd be amazed if the WRT54G could probably handle the 30/5 plan with speedboost, let alone anything faster. That thing deserves to be in the museum or in Best Buy's recycling bin. If you think the DPC3825 isn't good enough for you, buy a high-end simultaneous dual-band 802.11n router with gigabit ethernet ports, or an 802.11ac router like the delicious Asus RT-AC68U.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Using a separate router with Cisco DPC3825 - fastest option for myself, slowest for roommates?

One question, which may change the answer.. which internet package do you have?   Depending on that, you might not ever reach the max speed of EITHER the gateway or the linksys.

Now.. with the Cisco.. its RANGE isnt great.. .you may get slightly better then, with the Linksys.. depending on where you put it.
But the difference being.. that the Cisco is a b/g/n... vs the linksys is only a b/g...  N technically can provide faster speeds (but if you are on a lower plan might not make a difference.)

If signal is an issue, you could do it either way. 

doing it way 1, if they have ok signal now, would give you a better signal.. win/win.
This would be setting your router up in an AP mode, (like you say in step 3).

You can set it up, so there are non conflicting signals.

Doing it way 2, would work as well.. but all signal would eminate from the linksys then

I'm Here A Lot

OK so I should probably use the Linksys as an access point for its better range, but put it through the Cisco for its better CPU?

I'm on one of the most basic internet plans, I don't know which, I'm renting a room here.

I also just found an SMC8014W-G in the basement, is that any better?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While it will give you the RANGE... it wont be doing the general ROUTING functions..

It still will be doing alot of wireless work..
You MIGHT notice worse speeds with it still, comparatively to a weaker, but better N signal from the cisco, truthfully..

As VivienM said.. for any better performance, you would want to be steping up to a router with a MUCH better processor in it, dual band capable.... at LEAST N, if not moving to an AC.
But you are looking at a $150 price range.

Truthfully? it would be a horizonal move, if anything to use your 54g

I'm Here A Lot

OK, thanks for the help. So your post here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/5376 is only useful if I have a router that's better than the Cisco?

I'm going to try that set up anyway, except I want to leave my Cisco broadcasting for my roommates to use. Will that cause signal interference, since the routers are right beside each other?
I'm an Advisor

@Blackjaw wrote:

OK so I should probably use the Linksys as an access point for its better range, but put it through the Cisco for its better CPU?

I'm on one of the most basic internet plans, I don't know which, I'm renting a room here.

I also just found an SMC8014W-G in the basement, is that any better?

No. That's a DOCSIS 2 802.11g gateway, i.e. worse than the Cisco DPC3825 by a wide margin.

Are you the account holder? I'm guessing not. If you're not, then I could easily see the landlord having signed up for one of the old ultralite or lite plans, and THAT is the cause of your performance concerns, not the Cisco or whatever...

I'm an Advisor

@Blackjaw wrote:

I'm going to try that set up anyway, except I want to leave my Cisco broadcasting for my roommates to use. Will that cause signal interference, since the routers are right beside each other?

If you set the two up on non-overlapping channels, then no.

But the problem is that this is 2.4GHz land. There's a LOT of traffic in 2.4GHz land. You taking up all the bandwidth in 2.4GHz-land is not going to help matters much.

My honest opinion is that this is a waste of time: if you set up the Cisco on channel 1, the Linksys WRT54G as an access point (i.e. DHCP off, nothing plugged into WAN port, etc.) on channel 11 on a separate SSID, and connect the two via an Ethernet cable, I'd expect the WRT54G to perform worse in almost all cases.

I feel like you're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic here. I'm not completely sure what the problem you're trying to solve is, but I don't think that adding ancient 802.11g hardware into the mix is going to solve it. And frankly, getting good Internet access in a shared accomodation situation is likely to be a challenge if your landlord is happy paying $30/month for some old ultralite plan plus the $50 usage fee...

I'm Here A Lot

Ok, thanks Vivien.

I was just trying to get an extra bar of reception in my room, and reduce the amount of connection drops I'm having. Speed is fine whenever I have full bars.

So I'm sitting here in the living room, connected through the Linksys, and my roommate is here connected through the Cisco. His internet just disconnected and mine didn't.
I'm an Advisor

@Blackjaw wrote:
Ok, thanks Vivien.

I was just trying to get an extra bar of reception in my room, and reduce the amount of connection drops I'm having. Speed is fine whenever I have full bars.

So I'm sitting here in the living room, connected through the Linksys, and my roommate is here connected through the Cisco. His internet just disconnected and mine didn't.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

What kind of hardware are you using in your room?

Have you done a site survey? I don't know what good software for site surveys is these days - inSSIDer was good, but now you need to pay for it. But staring at inSSIDer for an hour or two on a few machines can be very very very very revealing...

Is it possible for you to replace the Cisco with a CGN3? Gdkitty can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the CGN3 has a better reputation when it comes to wireless performance. (Then again, the CGN2 is such garbage that 'better' means very little. I have no personal experience with the Cisco except in bridge mode.)