Using a Bell Ericsson W35 on Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Using a Bell Ericsson W35 on Rogers

I have an Ericsson W35 Bell Turbohub from my previous subscription with Bell. Rogers put in a closer tower, so I switch to the stronger signal.

Is it possible to transfer the SIM card from the Rogers Rocket Hub and use the Ericsson as backup hardware? It seems doubtful, but I thought I'd check.

Perhaps I can sell the W35 to a potential Bell subscriber?

*** Edited Labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Using a Bell Ericsson W35 on Rogers

You should be able to switch the sim card and use it unless it is locked to bell. Why not try it out and let us know 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

Good idea, and here's the result:

With the Rogers SIM card, the Bell Ericcson unit found the Rogers 3G signal. However, it complained about the wrong SIM card and stopped me at the configuration page.

Obviously the hardware is locked to Bell so I'd might as well sell it to a would-be Bell customer.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I thought you might be able to unlock it but looking here seems like it won't do you any good http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25233667-Ericsson-W35-Bell-Turbo-Hub-Debranding-Unlocking.
I'm an Advisor

To quote from the Ericsson W35 System Admin Guide:

"Allowed Operators
This feature allows for the use of SIM cards in the Ericsson W3x that meet specific criteria. This would normally be configured to allow only a specific operator or group of operators SIM cards to be used with the Ericsson W3x.  The Ericsson W3x can be locked to only accept SIM cards based on one or more of the following:
• Mobile Country Code (MCC)
• Mobile Network Code (MNC)"

The same document describes the "cf" cli command which can be used to specify, display or delete the allowed operators.

In order to access these commands you will need root or possibly operator access to the W35 cli through telnet or ssh2.

So far, I am not aware of anyone that has managed to do that.  In other words, in order to fully realize the functionality of the W35 you "own" you will need to get access to the cli and its more sophisticated and capable functionality.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

I have an Ericsson W35 that works great on Rogers.  But I have moved to Bell.  Does anyone have a Bell W35 that would like to trade with me.  I'm in the Toronto Area.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

See my DM?

I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry, I don't know what DM means.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

may have ment PM.. private message.  Little envelope icon in the top right.