Using Wifi question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Using Wifi question

Hi,

I just want to know: If I use my sony ericsson X10 to go on the internet via my Wifi at home, does it use my cellphone data plan (500mb) with rogers?

I know that If I use it without a wifi, my data plan will be use, but I'm just asking if I can do the same thing that I do with my Ipod Touch.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Using Wifi question

Any wifi usage on your X10 will not count towards any data plan usage on your wireless plan. Browse away. Just ensure that the phone is connected to the wifi when you're browsing, watch on the notification panel for a "3G" or "E" or "G" accompanied by up and down arrows below it that are "lit" and not dimmer than the accompanying letters. if the arrows are the same brightness as the letters, that signifies data transfer on the wireless network.

I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way on an android phone to block ANY wireless data usage, just to be sure when I'm using Wifi?

Like an apps or a place in the settings that I could block this temporarily?

I sound like a noob with those question, but I didn't need a smarthphone, until now! always done the job with my Ipod touch for my Wifi need in the house.

Thanks Again for the fast answer!

I Plan to Stick Around

From the Home screen, tap the applications bar.
Tap Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile networks.
Unmark the MMS & Data checkbox.

that should disable all data from going over the mobile network, just reactivate it when you're done to be able to use data and picture messaging again. Also no social networking updates will filter through to the phone while its turned off.

If those directions work, please let me know, they're directly from the user guide on their website, and I hope they are correct.