Using Splitter AFTER outputting from Digital Adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Using Splitter AFTER outputting from Digital Adapter

A digital adapter is connected to one TV. If I use a splitter to split the signal coming out of the digital adapter so I can  connect another TV (meaning I now have 2 TVs connected to a splitter to one digital adapter), will both TVs show the same channel whenever I switch channels using the digital adapter?

Ultimately, I want to connect one cable from the splitter to the TV tuner of my computer so I can record TV shows when I am away ( and I obviously don't care to use the second TV).

Thanks.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Using Splitter AFTER outputting from Digital Adapter

Correct, if you put a splitter AFTER the digital adapter, then whatever is output from the digital adapter, will appear on ANYTHING that is connected through that splitter.

Remember though.. the DTA is what does the tuning.  It is what changes the channels, etc.
So, to record things via your computers tuner card.. it would only be able to record that ONE channel that the DTA is tuned to.

(only real way to do this from the PC, is with a tuner card, which supports an IR BLASTER as well.  You could attach the blaster to the IR sensor on the DTA, allowing the tuner card then to change the channels on the DTA)

I've Been Here Awhile

With this setup I guess having a dual tuner card does me no good......I can only record what I'm watching correct

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct.

The DTA only outputs ONE channel information out, etc.

Now does this card have TWO coax inputs? or it it a dual tuner that one input can do two channels?

IF its a dual input... technically could get TWO DTA's and program seperately?

I've Been Here Awhile

Its a Hauppauge 2250..........1 Cable TV input, 1 A/V input cable input and IR receiver blaster.

It sucks that I can't use this for what its intended for especially with rogers taking away more of the analog channels...day by day 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not just rogers.. its north america wide.
Analog.. just doesnt exist anymore, as a source.  There is no broadcast between source/provider in analog.

So for rogers or any provider.. to actually PROVIDE analog now.. its having to downconvert it to analog and push it out.
From a technology, and $$ standpoint.. i can undersand why NO company would contiue it.

But it does leave people with tuners, etc like that, in a bind Smiley Sad

Yours would work, with the IR blaster, etc.. you could do ONE channel.. but not dual, no.

The Dual, would only work, with say stuff like an OTA antenna.

Now.. it MIGHT work, if say Rogers (and other canadian cable carriers) went with cablecard like the US.. where you could get a digital decoding card, to allow usage for other devices like the tuner, to decrypt the encyrpted TV signal.