Use existing SIM card on new unlocked iPhone ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Use existing SIM card on new unlocked iPhone?

Hi @dolafam

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Congrats on your new iPhone! What a nice gift.

You can definitely use your current SIM card with your iPhone 6S as it uses a nano SIM card just like your current iPhone. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

@RogersPrasana

Can0nfan
I Plan to Stick Around

hi there to answer your question about being unlocked....unlocked simply means you buy a sim card from a compatible carrier (all Canadian Carriers are compatible) and pop it in the phone to get cell/data services. "locked" phones are the ones you buy on contract and are locked to the carrier you signed the contract on. they can be unlocked at a cost if you wish to move to another carrier, but do at a cost. the nicest part of Unlocked phones is you can avoid costly roaming charges when you travel by purchasing a local a carriers sim card to use when traveling......with Rogers rome like home though that pretty much useless in the USA but make sense on really long trips abroad

jwphysio
I've Been Around

Moving Rogers SIM card from Rogers iPhone 5s to an unlocked iPhone 7

I have been given an unlocked iPhone 7 as a gift. I have an old iPhone 5 (locked by Rogers) with a Rogers SIM card (currently on a Rogers plan). Can I move the SIM card (nano lite) to the new iPhone 7 and use it without contacting Rogers (i.e., continue with the same plan)? 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jwphysio

Yes you can! They both use the nano Sim card so all you need to do is insert it into the iphone 7 and it will start working! Enjoy! 🙂