Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Usage

I  normally only use less than 20 mb daily but every once in a while I see over 200 mb listed. Can anyone explain to me how I could jump that drastically. I do play Pogo game in the evening. Would that explain it?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Usage

Windows (or whatever operating system you use) updates maybe?  Something those can be several hundred megabytes in size.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Usage

Yep software or operating system updates. Maybe some video streaming. Large photo attachments in emails.. Large photos on websites.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Usage; reduce it using Firefox with Adblock Plus addon

@lmhardie:

as previous posters have mentioned, software updates are constantly being done in the background for Windows, Adobe, Flash, and other stuff.  Most of the time you are informed of updates being done in some way.  Microsoft updates in particular can be quite large.

The other day, I suddenly received notification of Windows 7 updates about to occur.  The downloaded files totalled around 380 MB.  And here I thought my copy of Windows 7 was reasonably up to date.

Another way to both speed up your browsing and reduce the amount of data usage on your connection is to use Firefox with the Adblock Plus add-on.  In many cases when we browse there is lots of advertising stuff included in the loading of the average web page.  If you use Adblock Plus, much of this can be reduced or eliminated through the use of Adblock Plus on Firefox.

You can get Adblock Plus here:

http://adblock_plus_firefox.en.softonic.com/

To some extent this equates to watching TV while being able to eliminate commercials entirely!

skinorth

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Usage; reduce it using Firefox with Adblock Plus addon

Another way to both speed up your browsing and reduce the amount of data usage on your connection is to use Firefox with the Adblock Plus add-on.  In many cases when we browse there is lots of advertising stuff included in the loading of the average web page.  If you use Adblock Plus, much of this can be reduced or eliminated through the use of Adblock Plus on Firefox.

Further to skinorth's comment, Adblock Plus is also available for Chrome. Also, if you combine Webmail Ad Blocker (available for both Chrome and Firefox), your Rogers Yahoo email will be a whole lot more enjoyable.