Usage Tracking: GB vs GiB

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ganlron
I've Been Here Awhile

Usage Tracking: GB vs GiB

Just curious why GiB is being used for Internet data usage instead of GB (1024MB instead of 1000MB) or base 2 instead of base 10? Obviously it works out better for us as a 125GiB cap translates to 128,000MB or 128GB, though normally GB is used for traffic calculations rather than GiB.

I am also curious why the math is being done as MB/1024 instead of 125*(2^30) (or 125*(1024^3)) or 134,218MB for proper GiB calculations. Anyway, just curious and thought I'd ask

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
RogersHemal
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Usage Tracking: GB vs GiB

Currently a GiB is used to monitor all internet traffic as this is the same process we use for Internet Speeds.

For Example we advertise our Express service at 10 mbps (Megabite-per-second) download which is around 1.2 mb/s (Megabyte-per-second).  (Divide by 8). 

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersHemal
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Currently a GiB is used to monitor all internet traffic as this is the same process we use for Internet Speeds.

For Example we advertise our Express service at 10 mbps (Megabite-per-second) download which is around 1.2 mb/s (Megabyte-per-second).  (Divide by 8). 

View solution in original post

Ganlron
I've Been Here Awhile

Okay.  Like I said not complaining as it benefits us, but just out of curiosity, why aren't you using proper GiBs then? A GiB is 2^30 or 1024^3 (1024*1024*1024).  Rogers is using (1024*1000*1000) to calculate GiBs which is kind of mutation between GB and GiB

KK999
I've Been Here Awhile

Does it not upset you further to know that Rogers calculates your bandwith usage by adding the uplink and downlink of data travelled. 

When technology reaches a state where the uplink and downlinks requirements match you will find out that 125MB or 128MB is really 64MB of traffic.  How does the CRTC allow such things

KK999
I've Been Here Awhile

Never heard of GiB, Megabite, but rather GB and Megabit and Megabytes.

Was it a typo instead?

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@KK999 Why wouldn't the upload traffic be included?

You're uploading to the internet and thus using your connection in the process.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@KK999 wrote:

Never heard of GiB, Megabite, but rather GB and Megabit and Megabytes.

Was it a typo instead?

No.

What you have is a horrible situation between the people who maintain the SI system of units and the tech community.

The tech community has always defined a kilobyte as 1024 bytes, a megabyte as 1024 kilobytes, a gigabyte as 1024 megabytes, etc.

Then the physicists, chemists, biologists, etc who maintain the SI system came around and said "but we've always said that kilo means '1000', mega means '1000000'" and defined kilobytes as 1000 bytes, megabytes as 1000 kilobytes, etc.

The techies sulked. Then they created new prefixes, e.g. "gibibyte" (GiB) , "mebibyte" (MiB), "kibibyte" (KiB) for the proper 1024-based units.

And now you have a world where:

- The hard drive industry hides behind the SI definition, and has done that for 20 years

- Apple uses the SI definitions for storage (Mac OS X switched... not sure when? maybe around Snow Leopard) but the traditional definitions for RAM (this Mac laptop claims to have 16GB, when really it has 16 GiB)

- Windows uses the old-school definition (i.e. GB for 1024 MB) which is why a "1TB" HD shows up as 931GB (931 GiB technically) in Windows

- Other things, e.g. many Linux distributions, use GiB

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I personally have never heard of these other units. Nor, I would imagine, would most of the population. I would say that since most people are familar with Megabyte, Gigabyte, etc, that is why those measurements are used.