Uploading Huge amounts of data, don't know why

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adasda
I've Been Here Awhile

Uploading Huge amounts of data, don't know why

So I've been looking through my internet usage history since I got a message saying that I was at 100% my limit. It wasn't completely unexpected because for the past couple of weeks I've been streaming a lot of video using netflix. However when I looked into my day-to-day usage I saw that on average about 5 GB was being uploaded every day since April 21st! Prior to that I had been averaging 100 MB tops.  Also what could be uploading such a huge amount of data. I've changed my internet password and haven't used torrents in years. Does anyone know how I could track where this data is coming from? 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Uploading Huge amounts of data, don't know why

Gah! yes, i have seen that before...either a bad email, one over the limit, etc.. but it just keeps trying.. gets to the rogers 10mb max, then fails, then keeps retrying.
Outlook, doesnt KNOW there is max,so it just keeps trying to push it (as say in a coprorate environment, there may not be a limit, etc).

Hopefuly that resolves it for you.

Usualy the only other major culprits for upload usage i have seen.. outside of a virus sending stuff out.. is some of the cloud based stuff.  Dropbox, google drive, skydrive, iCloud... same sort of thing, just continual syncing or re-trying of some stuff.. that just eats up the usage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
adasda
I've Been Here Awhile

So I think I found it. In my mom's outlook she has had a 45 mb email stuck in her outbox that I think was uploading non-stop. And because she never shuts down her computer, the port never closed and just kept on uploading all this time. Hopefully that was the problem and I'll see my uploading usage drop tomorrow. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Gah! yes, i have seen that before...either a bad email, one over the limit, etc.. but it just keeps trying.. gets to the rogers 10mb max, then fails, then keeps retrying.
Outlook, doesnt KNOW there is max,so it just keeps trying to push it (as say in a coprorate environment, there may not be a limit, etc).

Hopefuly that resolves it for you.

Usualy the only other major culprits for upload usage i have seen.. outside of a virus sending stuff out.. is some of the cloud based stuff.  Dropbox, google drive, skydrive, iCloud... same sort of thing, just continual syncing or re-trying of some stuff.. that just eats up the usage.

View solution in original post