cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed issues

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

My family is currently paying for 100 down 10 up and I'm having some issues with my speeds.

Inside the Rogers network, I have no issues, but anything that goes outside (i.e. the internet), the speeds get lowered darastically

Rogers test:

143 down

10.90 up

Speedtest.net:

166 down

10.36 up

Testmy.net:

63 down

2.3 up

This was only one test, on average my upload speed for testmy.net is 1.3, every other test is about the same.

I'm not concerned with my download as it still retains its speed and stays very consistent, unlike my upload speed, which can fluctuate all over the place (anywhere from 0.07 to 2.5).

I have experienced issues with most online games I've played and livestreaming is almost impossible at 2k bitrate.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Also why is my download being much higher than paid for inside network?

***Edited Labels***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Upload Speed issues

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Goro-Yoshi

Sorry to hear about your issues with your upload speeds.

How often are you noticing lower upload speeds that you’re seeing with testmy.net?

Maybe @Datalink or @Gdkitty can provide some insight here?

@RogersPrasana

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee
The Upload speed varies based on node you are connected to, that's all I know but it shouldn't be dropping to 0.07. 2.5 / 3mbps is pretty decent, given that games use 1.5-2mbps max based on packets being sent.

As for the download, Rogers has "speed boost" (that's what they call it). So all initial connection you do is always going to be higher than your packag (usually). Its how the upgraded infrastructure is made these days. I think different companies brand it differently. Essentially, only time you notice it come back down is on VPN but VPN uses minimal uploads (again based on packets).

Have you spoken to rogers tech guys?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The rogers test, yes does stay within the network.

In most cases/areas... speedtest.net, does NOT.  There are not really any rogers servers on the speedtest.net.  They are other carriers/hosts.  They may be LOCAL to rogers, only one hop/ a direct connecting partner but do go outside.
(EG. in toronto, the server with the best results is TELUS)

The question with Testmy.net (i couldnt find it easily with a quick search/test)... is WHERE they are testing??  Where is their endpoint server?
It could be in california for all we know.  Things like that, will greatly effect speeds. 

Is the line capable of the speeds? Sure, the rogers tests show that.
But there are SOOO many hops, nodes, and things inbetween.. that could slow it down, let alone any issues along the way slowing it down even further.

I just used it.. and i got 31/8.3 😛

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersPrasana
Everything I use has upload issues, unless the upload requirement is extremely minimal (IRC chat)
The only game to not have upload issues seems to be Borderlands 2, however I was playing with friends who were also using rogers internet.
Another thing to point out is that I was talking in RaidCall and only had issues with one person, having a 5 minute delay with them, I think they weren't with rogers. Switching to Mumble fixed this.

@ShakTiburon

I spoke to Rogers chat support twice, the first time, we tried everything in my apartment to make the internet as reliable as possible (removing as many splitters as possible from the internet line)

The second time, I came back and used the data, and the support was not helpful, only incisting that the data from rogers speed test can be used, which was frustrating since the issue was with everything outside of rogers, he redirected me to TechXpert

@Gdkitty

I did a Toronto speedtest.net hosted by Teksavvy (which buys internet from rogers)
The testmy.net server that I've used for the most part is in Washington D.C. I've used the texas server, but have had the same issues.

I used a server hosted by speedtest.net in Washington D.C. as well and got similar speeds to the rogers test
I've also used OBS to detect upload speed fluctuation when it tells me the bitrate that is being sent to twitch

As for the hops in between, that's how a ton of internet connections will work, not everything is on the same network or close to where I live.

Thats what i am saying..

The testmy.net is NOT within the network.. and why its values might be much lower.

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

My apologies for not making things clear.
My issue is when connecting to anything outside of the network, the upload drops extremely low.
The fact that everything has really low upload speed for me, but I don't see issues happening to other people (i.e. not the internet being extremely slow outside network) leads me to believe that something might be killing it off at the junction going out of the network

Hey @Goro-Yoshi

Oh god, TechXpert can solve your issue potentially. But a Network issue is dealt with by tech support. TechXpert is worth a shot if you got it under your plan already if you don't you'll be payng for one time fixes which are expensive. (equivalent to GeekSquad costs)

Anything within the network is ofcourse higher net input and output.

where is testmy.net server sitting? like if its not in North America or any of the major countries in Asia, you are going to have low speed regardless who your provider is. If you have a Delta-Optic connection (Government) - it would still give yous similar speed.
... on second thought. I am gonna actually test testmy.net right now...

Ill edit this in a moment,

Aha. So the speed test is outside of SpeedBoost specterum.

Nifty. Let me ask you something,

Have you notice laggs on your regular gaming/browsing/uploading/downloading anything thus far - when not running any thing extensive like speed test or torrent at the same time?

I THINK the server is based out of California?
Their FAQ makes some claims that ALL other speed tests sites are wrong/inacurate.

I myself am not so sure.

I just tested here at work.  Bell Fiber direct into the building (fiber optic cable to the router in the server room).  We are on 100/100.

We have offisite replication to a server hosted in the golden horseshoe are... which normally sits in the 30-40+mpbs range

This site, says 24mbps... not aful.. but definately can get higher, i know that as we monitor the outgoing feed.
Its location probably had a big difference in the speed.

Not only California:
"TestMy.net has powerful speed test servers in North America, Europe, Australia and Asia"
as per their website:

Central US >> Dallas, TX USA
East Coast US >> Washington, D.C
West Coast US >> San Jose, CA USA
Europe >> London, GB
Australia >> Melbourne, AU
Asia >> Hong Kong, CN

Yeah... so this thing like attacks your network with packets to see if it will handle the load...

This is good for cooperation server test but I don't know how long will it be till it gets banned for consumers to access... (that doesn't infrnge FCC rules lol)

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a restatement of the issue:

Everything I do out of network lowers my upload speed from 10 to a range of 0.08 to 2.8 and it fluctuates a lot.
Games dropping me because not enough data sent, skype being slow to send messages, can't livestream, etc...
My download goes down to an acceptable range of 50-70 from 100

If I do anything in network, the speeds are perfectly fine and there's no packet loss
Anything outside and it becomes a giant mess

I live in Toronto, my plan is Ignite 100u (100/10)

In network: ~130/~11

Speedtest: ~130/~11 (some servers hiccup and show lower occasionally)

testmy.net: 71.4-31.4/2.8-0.07 (hit 3.6 at some point, didn't notice)

I have asked a friend who is on Rogers internet to do tests:

He lives in Richmond Hill and his plan is Hybrid fibre 60 (60/10?)
In network: 13.1/11.1

Speedtest: 13.4/11
testmy.net: 13.8-7.1/8.6-5.5

I believe the source of the problem lies within Rogers as the entire internet cannot be this slow (which is proven with my friend's results) and would like to know how to go about fixing this issue.

Likely i would guess an issue with one of rogers major peering partners.

Only thing that could be done, is to then CHANGE that... if thats possible... but not necessarily easily done.  (likely are tons of contracts, etc that are in place, etc).
Most they could do is put pressure on the peering partner.

(though i am still not sure on the in vs out of network argument.  As you can run the rogers speed test from other connecctions.  I ran it from my BELL work one late afternoon.. so that would be out of bell's local network for the rogers end point server... and got 98% of the alloted speed)

Only other thing would be to double check your local signal levels.. make sure there isnt any issues there (though i doubt it as more internally seems ok)  Can you post your singal levels from loging into your gateway?

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

The in vs out of network is from the tech support not being able to help me since I am getting more than my plan allows when using their "supported" speed test. Also from all my connections inside network being perfectly fine.

How would peering work in this case, why is my 11 upload getting shrunk much more than someone else's?

Signals:

http://puu.sh/hTGMt.png

http://puu.sh/hTGPU.png

Generally its all about the PATH that something takes.

To get from A to B.. your not a direct line from one to the other, right?  It goes from node to node.. 5 to 100 nodes, to get from A to B.
There are a certain number of nodes which then reside inside of rogers... from there, it connects to the next major partner(s)... and so on down the chain till it reaches the end point.
Rogers really only directly has control over the ones its DIRETLY connected to..
IF these are the ones with problems, they might be able to make changes/push for changes.
But, beyond that.. they have very little control.. its how/who that set of nodes connects to next, etc.

Different B points.. can vary the path, so one result can be different than another.
But even the A points.. while both within rogers.. could make a difference if its something internal.

Only other way to really check if its something else possibly down the stream.. would be to find the END point.. the B.. their IP address.. and do a traceroute and pathping to that IP.
This may lead, that if there is a slow down, latency spike, etc.. somewhere down the line.
But again.. there is not a huge amount which can be done at that point.. as its not something directly Rogers has control over.

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

Any idea how I can figure out the path? because my friend is pretty close to where I am

As for B points: the issue seems to be with anything I try to use out of network, so I'm not sure that the difference in endpoints matters.

As for pathping and tracert, I am currently trying to find ip addresses that work and represent the services that I've used and know for sure have problems with.

@ShakTiburon

Not sure where you get the idea that it attacks your network, it tests your bandwidth by asking you to download or upload something. I also do not understand why it would ever get banned for consumer access, or even how it breaks FCC regulations. Care to share?

Really the tracert will give you the path.. the nodes it goes through.
Assuming you go through all the same..

But if they do not have the issues and you do.. and the paths are the same.. its something else.

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

Tracing route to twitch.tv [192.16.71.176]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 27 ms 12 ms 26 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [209.148.244.53]
4 24 ms 29 ms 21 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [69.63.249.237]
5 30 ms 19 ms 41 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [69.63.249.229]
6 26 ms 75 ms 37 ms van58-9-230-26.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.230.26]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Unfortunately this isn't the actual server, what the customer support gave to give a tracert

Tracing route to img.elswordonline.com [211.43.147.210]

1 3 ms 2 ms 12 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [192.168.0.1]
3 24 ms 21 ms 16 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [209.148.244.53]
4 30 ms 29 ms 27 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [69.63.252.250]
5 26 ms 35 ms 40 ms van58-10-228-226.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.228.226]
6 63 ms 56 ms * ix-12-0.tcore2.CT8-Chicago.as6453.net [64.86.79.89]
7 49 ms 39 ms * ae5.chi11.ip4.gtt.net [199.229.231.245]
8 99 ms 92 ms 97 ms sjc10.ip4.gtt.net [89.149.129.205]
9 86 ms 89 ms 84 ms as4436.ip4.gtt.net [77.67.70.130]
10 83 ms 89 ms 109 ms ae0-40g.cr1.sjc2.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.22.142.153]
11 98 ms 89 ms 89 ms ae1-11g.ar1.sjc2.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.22.143.133]
12 88 ms 87 ms 93 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [69.22.166.122]
13 83 ms 109 ms 99 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [174.35.127.50]
14 89 ms 89 ms 90 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [174.35.127.98]
15 90 ms 94 ms 94 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [174.35.127.126]
16 81 ms 82 ms 79 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [211.43.154.6]
17 96 ms 100 ms 89 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [211.43.147.210]

Trace complete.

Will post more when I get the opportunity to

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

Tracing route to dc.testmy.net [158.85.41.245]

1 6 ms 9 ms 9 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [192.168.0.1]
3 121 ms 29 ms 17 ms van58-6-240-37.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.240.37]
4 29 ms 29 ms 19 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [69.63.249.229]
5 48 ms 49 ms 39 ms INTEL_CE_LINUX [69.63.249.26]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 28 ms 32 ms 39 ms ae0.dar01.sr01.wdc01.networklayer.com [173.192.18.197]
8 38 ms 39 ms 39 ms 208.43.118.169-static.reverse.softlayer.com [208.43.118.169]
9 38 ms 40 ms 39 ms 158.85.41.245-static.reverse.softlayer.com [158.85.41.245]

Trace complete.

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

Issue seems to have been fixed, trying to find out what was causing this issue.

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

Same problem resurfaced

Rogers test:

132.86 down

10.95 up

testmy.net Washington DC server:

64.4 down

1.5-3 up

My upload for the past few days was at 4-8

Goro-Yoshi
I Plan to Stick Around

Upload speed back to acceptable values, will contact rogers for possible information on the situation.