Upload Issues constent fluctuation, disconnection pack loss issues.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Upload Issues constent fluctuation, disconnection pack loss issues.

I'm not sure who to turn to at this point as I called in multiple times at rogers and no one seems to be able to solve my problem and no tech is giving me the same answer. They always seem to point out it's my hardware and sometimes that yes there is defiantly an issue on the cable line or out of sync/out of range issue. The problem has been going off and on for about a month now on a daily basis. As I work night I usually test these issue before and after work. around 9AM - 12PM - 9PM - 10:30pm. In most cases, I can access a small amount of website but at a very slow pace or have to refresh the page till it works. The internet also sometimes goes off for a few hours even after multiple modem reboots.

Here are the tests that I have made so Far: Tested with and without my own routers. Tried in bridge mode and in regular mode. Tried with 2 computer direct connection while in bridge mode and regular mode. Changed the network cables and I also made sure my computer or any devices connected to the modem was turned off while rebooting the modem(power cord unplug). While rebooting the modem made sure it was unplugged for at least a minute. at one point, I unplugged it for an entire day and had the same problem when it was replugged. The modem was exchanged and I have the same problem.

I currently have the 250/20 package. On most occasions, the speed test won't pass 50mbps download or if it goes to 250 +, the upload will not work and I will have 10-30% packet loss and sometimes upload just doesn't work at all. Most of the time I can’t even hit the 10mbs upload or on the speed test it times out on the upload portion. My max is 0.1 or 3mbps, that's if I get 3 on my upload.

So far every time I called in they seem to find or not find an issue. 2 techs came over and found 0 issue all is fine. The last tech explained that the cabling outside was corroded and that the connectors were replaced. He also replaced all connection inside as well.

I made a suggestion to made at an attenuator as a friend had the same problem but with his download. but he explained they no longer carry those. 

I also want to point out that I currently live in an apartment building.

Should I order my own attenuator and try it myself or should I try asking them?

from what I was looking online to compare my down/up signal seem to be ok but I'm out of options at this point not sure what to do.

here are my down and upstream signal from my modem.

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1603000000256QAM-3.200337.636
2591000000256QAM-2.200138.983
3597000000256QAM-2.600238.605
4609000000256QAM-2.000438.605
5615000000256QAM-2.400537.636
6621000000256QAM-2.900637.636
7633000000256QAM-3.300737.636
8639000000256QAM-2.700837.636
9645000000256QAM-3.400937.636
10651000000256QAM-3.8001037.636
11657000000256QAM-4.5001137.356
12663000000256QAM-4.2001237.356
13669000000256QAM-3.6001337.636
14675000000256QAM-4.3001437.356
15681000000256QAM-5.1001537.356
16687000000256QAM-4.9001637.356
17693000000256QAM-4.3001737.636
18699000000256QAM-4.0001838.605
19705000000256QAM-4.3001937.636
20711000000256QAM-4.4002037.356
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandWidth
123700000ATDMA - 64QAM46.50036400000
230596000ATDMA - 64QAM45.00026400000
338596000ATDMA - 64QAM45.0001

Regards,

a very patient man

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Upload Issues constent fluctuation, disconnection pack loss issues.

Hi @Omegaforts

Best to have @Datalink and @Gdkitty take a look here.

They'll assist to the best of their ability and let us know if you'll need any futher assistance from us.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Signal is not perfect.. a little on the low side.. but not enough to cause THAT Much issues normally.

A few questions to further help/narrow down.

Are these tests (speed tests, packet loss, etc) on WIRELESS or Wired? 

And those signal levels.. are they on a good time? or a bad time?

Unfortunately.. the APARTMENT part.. could be huge chunk of the issues 😞
From the sounds of it.. that the issues stem from times when there is a HEAVY load in the apartment building.. that when there are MANY people on in the building.. thats when the issue is happening.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

all connections a wired. The signal levels were on a good time when it was working ok but still not what it should be. when I posted my message 3 or so hours ago everything was ok. I still had packet loss/ fluctuations  but not bad enough that I couldn't browse web sites or upload information like games, skype or live streaming like I experience everyday.

the issue does seem worse during peak hours. But even if there is a heavy load, I can understand that I might not get my full speeds which I can understand but not to the point where I can't access any information.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with @Gdkitty.  The signal levels aren't great, but they shouldn't stop you from seeing consistent download / upload speeds.  if you run a speedtest at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server, with the 250/20 service, you should see in the order of 300+/20+ Mb/s with Rogers speedboost kicking in.  I would run a speedtest with just the single wired pc connected to the modem (in Gateway mode) and the wifi turned off, just for troubleshooting purposes.  You would want to make sure that the connected port LED at the back of the modem is amber which denotes a 1 Gb/s connection to the pc.  Green indicates at 10/100 Mb/s connection. 

Next I would try a speedtest with the following configuration:  Modem (in Bridge mode)  -  router - wired pc.  Again check the port LED colour to confirm a 1 Gb/s connection to the router.  Then check the back of the router to confirm the port LED colour for connected pc.  It will or should be green in this case, which would or should indicate a 1 Gb/s connection to the pc.  The Hitron modems appear to be backwards in terms of port LED colours when compared to industry standards.  You can also confirm the connection rate by navigating to START..... CONTROL PANEL.....  NETWORK and SHARING Center.  Select the right hand Ethernet link to bring up the Ethernet Status Panel.  The speed that is shown on that panel is the ethernet connection rate.  If this was a wifi connection it would show the wifi connection rate.  Remember that this is the connection rate, port to port, not the data rate.

For the purpose of troubleshooting you should consider doing a factory reset for the router and run the router with a minimum of functions running.  You should see the same speedtest results as you saw with the pc connected to the modem (in Gateway mode).  One of the problems of running the 250/20 service is that the functions that you may have used at lower data rates will now impose a performance penalty at higher data rates.  So, anything like QOS, Traffic Monitoring or anything else that requires the router CPU to do anything with or to the data will impose a data throughput penalty.  So for the purposes of troubleshooting, I suggest a clean start for the router. 

So those are some points to look at.  Do you also have any other Rogers services, such Cable TV or Home Phone.  If so, these will be connected thru a splitter, as will the internet modem.  This signal split always drops the power levels on of the various modems.  In most cases its not an issue, but sometimes it can be a problem depending on the original signal level prior to the split.  Do not install an attenuator or any other splitter for the purposes of dropping the signal levels.  Yours are already lower than they should ideally be, and an attenuator would only make the situation worse. 

Have a look at the connected Port LEDs to confirm what the connection rates are, consider a reset for the router to minimize any throughput drag thru the router and run a speedtest at the Rogers or Speedtest.net servers listed above using the modem -pc and modem - router - pc configurations.  Beyond that, as Gkitty indicated living in an apartment might just be the issue  Large apartments, condos, highrises etc usually have Multiple Dwelling Units (MDUs) installed to provide signal distribution to all of the suites.  Its also possible that you might be connected to a neighborhood node if the apartment building is small enough.  If you are connected to an MDU it might be time to call in a tech to look specifically at the MDU to determine if its functioning properly.  You should ask your neighbors if they are having any issues with internet speeds, in terms of consistency and max data rates.  If others are having the same problem, then I would suspect an MDU issue, and that I would guess is beyond the normal contractor tech level.  It might be time for a Senior Tech from Rogers to check out the problem. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generally, with the newer units, being a 20+ channel .. the congestion/full speed generally isnt an issue that way under load..

Moreso.. that the equipment (usually at where it comes into the building), just can not handle the load.. that it starts to fail, or suffer signal loss, etc at those times.

I had an issue a few years ago, where the whole street, only in the evenings (when under heaviest loads), would experience signal drop effecting TV and phone.  Requred a major maintenance fix in the area to get it working ok again.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Speed test was done in bridge mode and not in bridge mode connected directly with 3 different computers, no routers no switches, direct connection with multiple networks cable tested. The problem is not getting the speeds, its the connection that's not reliable. I can do 2 or 3 test and one of them will time out due to this issue usually every minute or 2 upload will time out and sometimes the download will no get past 20 or 50mbps, and won't move towards the upload test. I have to refresh the page at that point then its starts again. This issue happens with direct connections with and without bridge mode, direct connection amber lights when it's not in bridge mode and direct connection green when in bridge mode. I doubt that 3 computer with 3 or more different network cable would replicate the exact same problem.

Factory reset was done when I set the modem from bridge to not in bridge more. Modem was exchanged as well.

I do not have any other rogers services. I only have internet.

A rogers tech already came and replaced all connected out and inside the apartments to make sure those were not the issue.

if there is really a problem how long does it take for rogers to really investigate these problems. I keep calling and getting tickets and it seems they are closed withing 24h saying the problem is resolved. to me that doesn't make sense when they don't even verify with me if the issue is resolved.

if the issue was only the afternoon or 15 minutes or 30 out of the day I wouldn't even complain that much but it's pretty much the entire day from 7 to 9 or 10 and weekends its worst.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"This issue happens with direct connections with and without bridge mode, direct connection amber lights when it's not in bridge mode and direct connection green when in bridge mode."

Ok, so amber port LED in Gateway mode, I assume a directly connected pc here.  Green port LED in Bridge mode.  Is that the modem port LED or the Router port LED that is green?  What router are you using?

"entire day from 7 to 9 or 10 and weekends its worst."  That sounds very much like a node or MDU issue, which is where the mods at @CommunityHelps can start the ball rolling to escalate the issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No router, direct connection to the modem.

The thing is I only have 1 computer with games and streaming, which is where a notice the problem more often. Right then and there i jump to the speedtest.net website, when I encounter a problem with the speed test, I jump right away to my laptop or my other desktop to do the same test and it replicates. I also use pingtest.net to further troubleshoot the issue as well. I also ran ping Test from CMD prompt for about 10 minutes to 1h and during peak times I can run into 10% + packet loss.

I'm always willing to do other tests I might not have tried. I do have a background in tech which is why a lot of these things were tested before coming here. I could also be missing something  and that is why I'm here. if more information is needed I can always provide you with one.

FYI I'm doing more testing with speed test and in game right now its FLAWLESS and it will be like this for maybe till 4 but since I works nights I only do these test during 9 to 12 and 8 to 10 10:30 so those are the times I'm mainly running into problems. i dont do anought testing during 12 to 8 to really know of the problem is there and when.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so no router.  With the same device, connected to the modem and the modem is running in either Gateway mode or Bridge mode, the port LED on the back of the modem should remain the same colour.  It shouldn't change colour depending on what mode its running in.  If it does, then the modem is unserviceable.  If you switch devices, say to a laptop that only has a 10/100 Mb/s port then yes, you would see a green modem port LED.  

On the same device, say a desktop, where the modem port LED is amber, you should see the same data rates throughout the day.  If your data rates are wildly inconsistent, with major drops at night or on the weekends then that would have to be a node or MDU issue.  Since you have already had a couple of tech visits, its time to escalate the issue.  Send a pm to @CommunityHelps with your account number requesting further assistance.  The mods can then contact the necessary support staff to address the issue.