Upgrading my internet service.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Upgrading my internet service.

I have a "general" question about upgrading my cable internet service. I am a Rogers customer (have been since cable TV first started) and I want to upgrade my internet service only. I am currently on an old package that gives me up to 30Mbps (supposedly, although speed test says more like 18). My cable modem (which I foolishly purchased) is a Motorola SURFboard SB5100. I have a nice new iMac and an Apple Airport extreme (the older flat one). The cable that comes out of the wall is connected to the cable modem which is then connected to my Airport. Everything works just fine. 

When I get a newer service (I'm leaning towards the Ignite 30 package) I must get a new cable modem which I must rent as part of the package (so they told me at my local Rogers store). I have no complaints with that idea but I am concerned about the wifi part of the new cable modem. I don't want it. I want to simply substitute the new cable modem for the old one. Can I do that? Is there somewhere where Rogers shows how to hook up their cable modem without activating the wifi?

Any help appreciated. Smiley Happy

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Upgrading my internet service.

@BluPuk all of Rogers modems, which are in fact Cable Gateways can be kicked into Bridge mode, operating as a modem only.  That is a user selectable choice and you can switch back and forth as you desire.  That user selectable capability allows you to use a follow on router of your choice.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BluPuk all of Rogers modems, which are in fact Cable Gateways can be kicked into Bridge mode, operating as a modem only.  That is a user selectable choice and you can switch back and forth as you desire.  That user selectable capability allows you to use a follow on router of your choice.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Don't knock yourself for purchasing the SB5100. Buying the modem back then was a very smart consumer decision to save on rental fees.

And to continue with that smart consumer decision, if you have not yet made up your mind on which Ignite service to get, look at the Ignite 100. Rogers have a promo on for this service for $64.99/month, which is cheaper than the Ignite 30 @ $67.99

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@kr6 wrote:

Don't knock yourself for purchasing the SB5100. Buying the modem back then was a very smart consumer decision to save on rental fees.

@and to continue with that smart consumer decision, if you have not yet made up your mind on which Ignite service to get, look at the Ignite 100. Rogers have a promo on for this service for $64.99/month, which is cheaper than the Ignite 30 @ $67.99

That offer is as follows: For new customers only (2-year term). But don't let that deter you. You may be able to bundle your existing services and still get great deals. Please contact customer care as Internet tech support cannot offer bundles at this time.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the speedy replies folks! A question: can the modem be put into "bridge mode" by switching it on the outside, or does it have to be done thru my computer? Are there instructions on installing it that come with the modem? Are they compatible with my iMac? 

Thanks folks. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Modem should be bridge with an ethernet connection but call us at tech support (1-855-381-7839) and we can due it within a few minutes. As far as setting up the modem, you may be unable to bridge until the wifi setup is complete but again, tech support will be happy to assist.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BluPuk there is no outside switch to switch the modem into Bridge mode.  You have to log into the modem when the modem is running in Gateway mode, navigate to the BASIC .... Residential Gateway page, disable Residential Gateway Function and save the change.  After that is saved the modem will automatically reboot into Bridge mode.  During or after that reboot, you can then connect the router and power it up, where it should then be assigned its IP address by the modem.

The reset button at the back of the modem can be used to force a factory reset on the modem at any time, including when its operating in Bridge mode.  It will then reboot back into Gateway mode with factory default settings.  Its also possible to log into the modem when its in Bridge mode and enable the Residential Gateway Function after which it will reboot into Gateway mode with its previous settings still intact. 

All of this can be done at any time, as selected by the end user.  Although you can connect with the modem via wifi when it operating in Gateway mode and change parameters, I personally advise anyone who is making any modem parameter changes to do so via ethernet.  That should avoid any loss of connection with the modem in the event that a wifi parameter is changed, changing the SSIS, network passphrase or security settings.

I Plan to Stick Around

I managed to get the deal mentioned. I'm upgrading to the 100u package at a nice savings. Only problem is, the guy at the store said there are no cable modems available? LOL. He put in a work order for the upgrade so I'm sure I'm good, but how does my modem arrive? How do I know when it's in? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BluPuk the modem shortage is the result of several hundred, maybe thousands (?) of modems being bricked over the weekend by some process that Rogers was running.  No word yet on the cause of the issue or the number of modems affected  As for the modem arrival, good question.  I'm not sure if the store will call you, or if you have to call the store.  Just so that you know, I believe that with an unlimited internet plan you should be eligible for the latest modem which is the CODA-4582.  That modem is Docsis 3.1 capable.  Its been out since the middle of December and the bugs are still being worked out at this point.  The other modems are the CGN3xxxx series and CGNM-3552 gigabit modem.  I'm not sure what modem you will be supplied with. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Work order?

Generally, that would be for a Tech to come out and change the modems..

But then they would have set a date/time