cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading/New Phone

Niick
I've Been Here Awhile

I bought my Galaxy Nexus in march of 2012 and was wondering how much it would be to upgrade to the S3 or maybe even the new Note when it is released? Would it be cheaper to sell my nexus first?

****Edited Labels****

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgrading/New Phone

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Niick

You will need to pay off the Flextab amount when you but another phone. This is like paying the upgrade fee when u want to upgrade. the Flextab is the amount owed on the currect device balance you have. To see that, log ito My Rogers - Overview - Pay / View Balance.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Niick

You will need to pay off the Flextab amount when you but another phone. This is like paying the upgrade fee when u want to upgrade. the Flextab is the amount owed on the currect device balance you have. To see that, log ito My Rogers - Overview - Pay / View Balance.

Niick
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you.

I have a blackberry torch on a 3-yr contract but currently I'm almost at the 2-yr mark. In my plan Rogers told me that I can upgrade after 2 years but when i checked online for the ok that I can upgrade my phone to the htc one x, it says it doesn't know. I also tried  to see if it would see if I could upgrade with another phone - a crapier one, but it still said it didn't know. It also said to check with a Rogers rep.  but I wanted  to ask the forum first.plz help with anything u may know !!!

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Stefy380Lew

In may show you online threw your My Rogers - Overview - Check Upgrade Egibility. If it does not show you there, I suggest contacting Rogers and they will tell you the upgrade cost and fees. Those fees may be a bit more as you still have 2 years left.

No one here can give you this info tho.

If you have just over a year left you got it about the same time I did. This was prior to the release of flex tab.
At that time, when you were on a 3 year term you could at 2 years get a hardware upgrade when starting a new 3 year term.
But with the release of the flex tab, they pretty much removed it, moving it up to the 3 years 😞

So likely you are in the same boat having to pay early upgrade fees. But as meow mix said, give them a call and find out. They can tell you how much, or some phones they may waive it.

All the new phones will be on the flex tab, where say even 6 months in, all you are paying back is the hardware credit, once that's done you are free and clear, to do it at any time then

Shan786
I've Been Around

I'm also at the two yr mark and want to do an upgrade to S3 from BB - Since my early upgrade fee is coming to about $156 i called Rogers and they are willing to reduce it by 75%

So do call them and see what they can offer.

DS256
I Plan to Stick Around

I recently lost my iPhone 4s on a trip. This is one purchased on a corporate account. When I went to replace it with Rogers I was told the cost would be $700 because I was not eligible for an update. The loss occurred on Jan 26th. My renewal date is March 3rd. So I forgoing having a cell phone until March since while my company pays for the plan, employees pay for the cell phones. Talking with my colleagues in the US they are surprised Rogers does not offer a prorating especially since I'm so close to the 3 year renewal date.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello DS256

It could be because you are on a corporate account BUT they should be able to give you a break seeing as you are near the end of the term. Hmm I would call back and speak to a Manager and see what they can do.

DS256
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. Both Rogers and my company are aware that I'm only a month away from renewal. Too many avenues to follow.

kenmclark
I've Been Here Awhile

There use to be a "Check Upgrade Elegibility" on my Rogers. It does not appear to be there now....would that mean I no longer have to pay $312.00 to get a newer phone? Obviously I won't pay that to get a newer phone and would just wait out the contract and then look around at what everyone has to offer so.....can u help

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello kenmclark

The system most likely removed it by accident. This does happen once in a while. You can call Rogers an see what the fee is. Yes u still have to pay the fee even if that has been removed. The fee is still in their computers and on your account which they can see.

kenmclark
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. Then we will just plod along with the old phone. Rogers loss.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello kenmclark

You can always call Rogers and ask to speak to Rogers retention. They may be able to waive some of that off if u want. Depends tho on who u speak to and what u tell them.

mururajah
I've Been Around
Can I upgrade my blackberry to blackberry Z10

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello mururajah

Yes you can BUT you may need to pay a upgrade fee. Contact Rogers and see what the upgrade fee will be. If it's a high one, they may be able to bring it down a bit. In the end you can upgrade to a new phone BUT may need to pay the upgrade fee or Flextab amount.

fysty-1
I Plan to Stick Around

I am so annoyed with Rogers right now as I have been a customer for almost 10 years and have had a couple of upgrades but now they are offering new clients with "no chage upgrades" & won't pass that over to thier long time clients.  I am so tempted to close my accounts down & they can stuff salt for thier "penilties" & just move on to a new service supplier.  I just requested an upgrade to a Samsung Note for my partner & they want $260.00 & also a Samsung Tab for myself & for that they want $350.00.  I already have a Samsung Note which I could give to my partner & with the $610.00 they want to upgrade, I could buy a pretty nice Samsung Tab2.  They are going to lose a lot of client by treating thier supposed respected client like that!  Cheers Angela aka fysty-1

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello fysty-1

There is no " no charge Upgrades" unless you spoke to Rogers retention. Also new clients do NOT pay a upgrade fee as they have no Roger account previously. Every single carrier is like this when u want to upgrade. You will have to either pay off the device balance or pay a upgrade fee.

They are not treating you like anything. They are doing their job. If you want a phone, you will have to pay the upgrade fee or the device balance. Which ever one comes first.

If you want to see if they cut down the upgrade fee, speak to Rogers retention they may be able to help.

Lost my phone, three year contract ends next may, hoping to get a new(er) phone on contract without paying an arm/leg in paying it off.

Any suggestions before I spend the day pleading my case to the powers that be?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello ME_and_YOU

You can contact Rogers and speak to Rogers retentions. They may be able to help you out. If you want a new phone via Rogers, you will have to pay the upgrade fee and the device price and get back into another, 3 year term.

If you want a cheap phone, you can go to a cellphone store or a fle markets and see if they have any cheap phones you may like.

jbird
I Plan to Stick Around

Remember the law changes Dec 2013 that new contracts are only 2 years. I wouldn't be signing any contracts from this point.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 in conversation