Upgrades from 4642?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Upgrades from 4642?

By hitting * on the new guide, will bring up the search.
Now.. it can be a little slow sometimes.. just to the pure VOLUME of stuff it is searching likely.

But say you type in "SUR"

It will bring up all things that match that (so survivor, say if a show was called suprise, etc)

Now, pick your show... say survivor.

It will bring up all the current time slots that its on, in the currently loaded guide data, AS WELL, it will also find any content that is available for it, in RoD.

leprecaun28
I Plan to Stick Around

So I think I've just made an error in getting the nextbox 4642.....I previiously had an Explorer something, when I wanted to record a show, I would have to set it to 'record' on the explorer as well as my DVD/VHS recorder.....

Now I see I can only 'set a reminder' for a show on the Nextbox.....I would have to leave the box on to record but how will it know to change channels?

Thanks

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@leprecaun28 wrote:

So I think I've just made an error in getting the nextbox 4642.....I previiously had an Explorer something, when I wanted to record a show, I would have to set it to 'record' on the explorer as well as my DVD/VHS recorder.....

Now I see I can only 'set a reminder' for a show on the Nextbox.....I would have to leave the box on to record but how will it know to change channels?

Thanks

The 4642 is not a PVR and does not have the capability to record.

Reminders are basically there to remind YOU to change the channel....it won't change itself.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think some of the older SARA boxes.. the reminder thing, would kinda tune to the channel you chose... so you could then kinda use a VCR or DVR still.

All in all, for such the small $ difference.. (plus you can offten finagle at least a NB2 if not a NB3 on a free rent to own).. its SOOOO much simpler to use a straight out PVR.

falcios
I'm a Regular

Netbox 4642 box with no PVR

We have the NETBOX 4642 with no PVR, and the Scientific Atlanta set top box.

With the NETBOX, I can only set a reminder time slot.  We miss shows because we are not always in front of the TV or on our devices and don't see the reminder on the screen.  

With the Scientific Atlanta set top box, we can set up to 8 Reminder and 8 VCR daily/weekdays/ weekend.  The reminder works the same as the Netbox.  It will pop-up on the screen like a minute before the program starts and you must physically select OK to change it to that program.

With VCR timer, select the show and time slot on the guide.  When it's time for the show to start, it will change automatically.

REC appears on the set top box.  It's not recording but REC is displayed anyway.  You have to press EXIT on the remote if you want to change the channel. 

I use the VCR timer option a lot.

Will the timer functionality of the SA desktop box be incorporated or be available on the NETBOX with no PVR?

Thanks in advance.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@falcios wrote:

Will the timer functionality of the SA desktop box be incorporated or be available on the NETBOX with no PVR?

No. The Navigatr firmware brings up a reminder only and does not switch to the channel in question unless you press "OK" while the reminder is up.  This is therefore a reminder feature, not a timer feature.  You could request that this feature functions the way that it used to (per the SARA firmware), but I'm not sure Rogers will change it (back) as some people prefer the way it functions currently, instead of the way it used to function.  I believe this has been discussed in the Navigatr threads.

Since many people have smart phones (or similar devices), you may wish to set your reminders there.  Or perhaps consider a PVR (NextBox3) and set a recording on it.

getbascus
I've Been Here Awhile

Random 4642 Reboot/Download

Around 10:45pm, my 4642 box appeared to download an update and rebooted in the middle of watching TV.

Seeing as this usually happens between 2am and 6am, was there some sort of urgent issue, or could there be a problem with my box?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@getbascus: This should be nothing to worry about. It happens occasionally.  If the box rebooted fine, you probably don't have any signal issues, so this should be a "one off". Rogers are rolling out new Navigatr firmware in certain areas currently.