Upgrade or Start New with Rogers or Leave?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Upgrade or Start New with Rogers or Leave?

Hi all,

I seem to have a dilema and was hoping for some advice/thoughts on the matter.

Currently a Rogers subscriber for 25 years now.  My wife and I both have old Blackberry flip phones (8210's I think) which are pretty much falling apart and need to be repalced. I am no longer on contract with Rogers but pay $135/month for our plan (which I understand is pretty outdated anyways). I would really like to move up to either a pair of Samsung S2G LTE's with a new family plan, etc or something else similar like a Nexus.  Maybe even a pair of iphone 4S even though I am not an apple fan.

Anyways, the dilema I have is that that if we want to move to new phones, we would probably be looking at $100/phone ($149-$50 upgrade credit?) for the GS2's and then probably $35/phone for some admin fees or something. I know that I can go to other retailers like Best Buy, Futureshop, Costco and probably get the phones for $50 each or even free however we would have to sign up as brand new customers so my understanding is I would have to get new phone numbers as well. The other option is go to a competitor like Bell or Telus.

So my question is....is being a Rogers customer for the last 25 years worth it to do the upgrades or am I better off starting fresh and signed up as a new customer? At first I didn't want to lose my cell phone numbers but now I am considering that it is not a huge problem. Are there any other benefits I lose for being a 25 year customer but starting fresh again instead of upgrading? I am not seeing the appeal to staying with Rogers.

Of course, if the option is to start 'new', I would obviously look at other competitiors as well.

Thoughts?

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Upgrade or Start New with Rogers or Leave?

Well its all up to you. I have been with Rogers for rogers & now in April i am switching over to Fido because i am fed up with Rogers & how they treat me over the phone.

If you want a new number & a new phone then i suggest going to another carrier. Yes Rogers can do this for you but are you happy with Rogers? Are you willing to sign another contract with them or do you want to try out another company.

Starting new is always a good thing because you are able to see what they other providers are like. I wanted to try that out my self & now i get the chance too.

Every carrier has its own problems / perks. It's all up to what you want. Also Rogers is the ONLY carrier in Canada that is offering the S2 LTE. IF you want that phone then you would have to resign a contract with them to get it. Every carrier also gets different phones which others do not get.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Well its all up to you. I have been with Rogers for rogers & now in April i am switching over to Fido because i am fed up with Rogers & how they treat me over the phone.

If you want a new number & a new phone then i suggest going to another carrier. Yes Rogers can do this for you but are you happy with Rogers? Are you willing to sign another contract with them or do you want to try out another company.

Starting new is always a good thing because you are able to see what they other providers are like. I wanted to try that out my self & now i get the chance too.

Every carrier has its own problems / perks. It's all up to what you want. Also Rogers is the ONLY carrier in Canada that is offering the S2 LTE. IF you want that phone then you would have to resign a contract with them to get it. Every carrier also gets different phones which others do not get.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply.  So did I summarize it correctly? Is there no benefit of being a customer for that long over just starting fresh with with Rogers or a competitor?  Does the 25 years mean nothing?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Well if you go with another company then you will get what ever they are offering. If you want to stay with Rogers you can speak to retentions and see if they can either price match another carriers plan or give u a small discount. But really its not worth it.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

ntoxik 25yrs or 25min. You're only as valuable as your next bill.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Let me start by saying and repeating what everyone is saying. You are only as good as your next bill. If your customer stopped coming in would it really bother you when you have 9Million others? Anyways. That being said is if you havent gotten a good plan by calling into retentions give it a shot. They might be able to work something out, cheaper phones, credits on your account etc...I would strongly suggest depending on where you are switching to another carrier like WIND/Mobi since they are expanding and you could get new blackberrys for a decent price and save a good chunk of money every month (depending on your needs it is a possibility) different carriers have different policies. Telus sometimes sends out things like free movie tickets, chocolates or even a charity donation to you as a valued customer. Bell always gives discounts on their other services to customers at a discounted rate without contract (I currently am one getting 40MPBS internet at 50% off for a year without contract) there are pros and cons. I currently am with rogers and they havent offered me much but over billing, calling in to customer services twice a month and being ripped off =/ if you have the opportunity jump ship to something worth it. Just my $0.2. Also if you want to switch to another carrier you dont need to change your number you can always PORt your number over, you will have a temporary number for about an hour or two and then your old number as usual with your new phone. Shop around and see what you can get. I'd recommend going to BESTBUY/FUTURESHOP When i signed up with rogers i got a free phone and a $200 gift card for signing up. BEST OF LUCK!
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Etthy wrote:
Let me start by saying and repeating what everyone is saying. You are only as good as your next bill. If your customer stopped coming in would it really bother you when you have 9Million others? Anyways. That being said is if you havent gotten a good plan by calling into retentions give it a shot. They might be able to work something out, cheaper phones, credits on your account etc...I would strongly suggest depending on where you are switching to another carrier like WIND/Mobi since they are expanding and you could get new blackberrys for a decent price and save a good chunk of money every month (depending on your needs it is a possibility) different carriers have different policies. Telus sometimes sends out things like free movie tickets, chocolates or even a charity donation to you as a valued customer. Bell always gives discounts on their other services to customers at a discounted rate without contract (I currently am one getting 40MPBS internet at 50% off for a year without contract) there are pros and cons. I currently am with rogers and they havent offered me much but over billing, calling in to customer services twice a month and being ripped off =/ if you have the opportunity jump ship to something worth it. Just my $0.2. Also if you want to switch to another carrier you dont need to change your number you can always PORt your number over, you will have a temporary number for about an hour or two and then your old number as usual with your new phone. Shop around and see what you can get. I'd recommend going to BESTBUY/FUTURESHOP When i signed up with rogers i got a free phone and a $200 gift card for signing up. BEST OF LUCK!

Well said!

On a side note, if you have ever traveled or have friends in EU you'll realize just how there is absolutely NO competition in Canada and they (the 3 major players in Canada) monopolize the whole country with their prices. It is well known that Canada has the most expensive mobile plans in the entire world and nothing is ever free. In EU Vodafone, O2, Orange gives them free caller ID and free voicemail at half of what we're paying lol...not to mention their towers/signal are far more reliable. Competition is what makes innovation. Trying a new provider ain't bad I just wish we had the big EU players in Canada...then we'd see a change. Yes, we can!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been with almost every provider in Manitoba at this point, which as said before, isn't very many.

My best advice is to take your time and understand your and your family's needs.  Promotions come and go so fast, and they never actually really change no matter how awesome/ perfect/ life- changing they claim to be.  Ask each other what has and hasn't worked for you in the past with Rogers then remember that when shopping around.  When I talk about needs, this has to go beyond service packages.

You talk about money a lot so that's obviously a huge need.  I found when I shopped around that most of these dealers will never actually undercut each other- they're really all the same.  I am paying basically the same now as I was with Telus, the only difference is that Rogers actually sold me a phone that can take advantage of the data and services provided (unlike certain CrapBerry's out there).

If you're interested in starting fresh- take the time to shop around to the different dealers and see if they can offer something better in package size/ price (that's of course after the fees and crap).  Never fail to mention your situation with Rogers, most dealers don't care either way but it could help.  The "customer loyalty" credit is helpful though- even if it is kind of crappy since you've been with them for so long.  It's a small bribe but hey- it's better than the nothing you'll get from the other guy. 

All in all:

1.)  See what the other guys are offering first, even if it's with Rogers- you may be able to find a better priced plan.  Because with promotional offers because they're fine prints can cut like a knife.

2.)  If you are okay with the price you are paying right now, or find it's no different than anyone else for your needs- then consider taking the Upgrade Option.  Talk to a phone rep to get them to take off any "admin fees" or garbage like that.  If they don't- then move on.  

3.)  Whatever phone you do choose to go with, ensure it will last the duration of your contract.  I have yet to find a phone that can withstand a three- year contract.  

4.)  On that last note: NEVER sign a three year contract with anyone.  It's never worth it.. ever.  Just pay the extra $$ for the phones themselves.  Yes, expensive but you'll be laughing when they owe you an upgrade right around the time your phone starts dieing again.

5.)  You'll save boat load of $$ if you can buy out your family's phone and use the pay- as- you- go packages.  Hard in the early run, but it'll put you in the drivers seat the the rest of the phones life, as far as your phone goes.

6.)  Unless it's been really working out for you and your wife, never get buddy/ family plans.   They are merciless 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

"4.) On that last note: NEVER sign a three year contract with anyone. It's never worth it.. ever. Just pay the extra $$ for the phones themselves. Yes, expensive but you'll be laughing when they owe you an upgrade right around the time your phone starts dieing again."

Explain. If i buy my contract out right and go m2m they will eventually have to give me a FREE phone?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

He is wrong. He just does not understand..

What he might have tried to say was " On that last note: NEVER sign a three year contract with anyone. It's never worth it.. ever. Just pay the extra $$ for the phones themselves. Yes, expensive but you'll be laughing when they owe you an upgrade right around the time your phone starts dieing again on the line you already have."

Anyways i really doubt you have 600+ to dish out for a new spanking phone like this guy is saying. Also the extra money is not easy to make. This guy does not really understand does he..

Anyways just go to which ever carrier you feel the best with. Is it really worth it sticking with Rogers if they do not offer any discounts or anything like that?