Upgrade from a 8300 to nextbox 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Upgrade from a 8300 to nextbox 3.0

Should I ugrade from my 8300's to nextbox 3.0's? Is there many problems with the new ones and is it a pain to set them up?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Upgrade from a 8300 to nextbox 3.0

Its kind of a loaded question.

GENERALY.. there are not issues with the 3.0.  As much as can be with some other boxes.
A few users have had audio issues (still not sure if 100% not something signal).. there are some bugs (IE 1080p not working).

THe guide IS different.. you can not choose the old guide you have on the 8300.  It has to be on the new one.  Now, ALOT of the complaints you hear on the new guide, are about the slowness, etc.. where almost ALL of that is from that guide being on the previous 2.0 box the 8642.  The new 3.0 box is MUCH faster and doesnt suffer from the slowness.
THe guide is VISUALLY different.. it is HD, but also text is a little smaller, specialy when you are on a smaller TV.

Base storage, is likely 2-5 times as much, right out of the box.. so you can record more.

It does have 8 tuners, so you can record/watch up to 8 things at once.

Supports the search and some other features not on the old guide

Setup, is pretty easy.  Either buy (or go swap if you are renting, etc), bring it home.  You might have to call in to get it authorized.  Other than that.. plug in, it will probably spend 30 mins rebooting a few times, etc.

Now, most have found it takes 24+ hours for the search and Rogers on Demand to start working.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its kind of a loaded question.

GENERALY.. there are not issues with the 3.0.  As much as can be with some other boxes.
A few users have had audio issues (still not sure if 100% not something signal).. there are some bugs (IE 1080p not working).

THe guide IS different.. you can not choose the old guide you have on the 8300.  It has to be on the new one.  Now, ALOT of the complaints you hear on the new guide, are about the slowness, etc.. where almost ALL of that is from that guide being on the previous 2.0 box the 8642.  The new 3.0 box is MUCH faster and doesnt suffer from the slowness.
THe guide is VISUALLY different.. it is HD, but also text is a little smaller, specialy when you are on a smaller TV.

Base storage, is likely 2-5 times as much, right out of the box.. so you can record more.

It does have 8 tuners, so you can record/watch up to 8 things at once.

Supports the search and some other features not on the old guide

Setup, is pretty easy.  Either buy (or go swap if you are renting, etc), bring it home.  You might have to call in to get it authorized.  Other than that.. plug in, it will probably spend 30 mins rebooting a few times, etc.

Now, most have found it takes 24+ hours for the search and Rogers on Demand to start working.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Right now I currently own 2 PVR's one on the main floor and another in the bedroom.  They are the 8300 scientific atlantic boxes and are great! I've had them for about 6 years with no problems. However, I need to be able to tape more than 2 things at time and I have cut off my HD speciality pack that gives me west coast timeshifting. Between my wife and I we watch a lot of shows and I also watch sports so having 2 things taping at 8PM or 9PM during the week isn't cutting it. Yes I can tape on my bedroom PVR but there's nothing better than watching certain shows on the couch.

Anyways, I've called Rogers and they don't offer the rent to own program anymore so i'm left with renting the box at $24.95/monthly or biting the bullet and buying it for $499.99. The upside of buying it is that it comes with a 2 year warranty and any additional years are an extra $5. 

Is this box reliable? Is it better than the not so great Nextbox 2.0? Are people happy with their Nextbox 3.0 besides the new guide layout? 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Undefyned

I am sure others will chime in with a recommendation.  However, I will say that if you are located in Newmarket, Oshawa, Ajax, Brampton, Mississauga or Milton, then I would hold off on upgrading from your 8300's until the Navigatr issues are resolved.  As I understand it, the Nexbox 3 is far superior to the Nextbox 2.  I did the same thing - cancelled the time-shifting package and relied on the 8 tuners to cover my recordings.  Some have said you should not try to use more than 6 tuners at the same time.  So far, I have never had to use more than 6 concurrently, but we'll see what happens with the new fall season.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@roxandtreez

Luckily I live in Markham so I guess I will be dodging a bullet for now if I end up buying the unit.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi Undefyned.  The NB3 is better than the very underpowered NB2, but you might want to consider renting a NB3 for a while and see what you think of it.  You'll probably like it the way it is right now - BUT - in a month or two or more Rogers will be changing the interface to Navigatr in your area - and in the areas of Ontario where this interface has been downloaded onto the NB3 - EVERYBODY who has it HATES IT.  Read the posts in this forum to see what I mean.

If you buy a NB 3 - they you will be STUCK with the box when Rogers 'upgrades' to Navigatr.

And the other thing - is you may notice some improvements going to the NB3 from the SA 8300 BUT you may also notice that the NB3 is LACKING about 15 features that the SA 8300 box had.  You will probably miss some of those features.

@roxandtreez I'm not sure there is an issue with using 7 or 8 tuners at once.  I sometimes do.  No problems seem to crop up.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Undefyned, don't believe the hype, with all the features the 8300 has that weren't implemented on the Nextbox 3, it could hardly be called an upgrade. From what I've read over the past 2 years, the ability to record more than 2 channels does not outweigh all the Nextbox problems. If you add to that the Navigatr interface you're sure to get at some point in the future, the choice not to go to a Nexbox is even more of a no-brainer. Yes, it does suck not being able to get enough timeshift channels in HD (I have that problem with VIP), but I can live with it. Hang on to those 8300's, they're worth their weight in gold given the quirky Nextboxes with dysfunctional software that replaced them.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario