cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade disappointment

rdms
I Plan to Stick Around

Been a long time customer (20+ years). Wanted to upgrade my phone & new plan but Rogers didn't want to budge that far from the posted prices. Was hoping the agent on the other end would work a bit harder to keep my business. I have internet, TV, home phone & alarm systems with them as well but looks like I'll need to move those. So much for loyalty ... very disappointed.

***Edited Labels***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Upgrade disappointment

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @rdms

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums.

We definitely value your loyalty at Rogers and would like to be given the opportunity to take a look at your services and see if there's anything we can do.

Please send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps next time you're online and we can take a closer look.

RogersPrasana

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@rdms  I just went through the same experience today with customer relations as we had worked out a reasonably good offer a few weeks back, but unfortunately, life circumstances (a car broken down in the US keeping my wife there for 10 days, and some major health issues that confined me to home) prevented us from acting on the offer.

So I decide yesterday to finalize it and we would go to store to compare the offered phones as it was my wife's choice.

Learned that the offer was no longer available, and the new offer would be 40.00 per month more, but included more data, which is good in case you go over (I don't use data, and the only reason data was on one phone was it was included in the offer exclusively for me they told me).  So bottom line, I was being offered cheaper phone options as we were replacing a phone, and higher prices for the same services, just 1 GB data extra, which prior was 10.00 more but we decided against it and were told we could switch up if we needed to.

So new offer was way outside what we are willing to pay, with lots of services built in which they once called add-ons and we used to add them as we needed them and removed them when done.  Now all those things, 75% of which we never ever use, and crazy unlimited phone minutes when we have never exceed our allotted (family plan 300 local minutes) in over 10 years - now called shared talk and text - I still call it a family plan.  We paid long distance as we used it because we had set up phone numbers that kept us all local.  Perfectly planned services, meeting just what we needed at minimum prices.

Yes, I heard again about the 2year versus 3year subsidy on front end of cost of phone (not an issue, we have bought our phones out right, as we buy the bare basics and the increase to the new plans far exceeded just buying phones as we needed it.

So, although disappointed that the offer wasn't there, was totally frustrated when there was no offer made of mixing up services to get an affordable package that best met our needs, but would obviously be a compromise.

I kept it simple - I am not paying 40.00 per month period, I need to replace one phone, may want a GB of data as offered, but want to stay close to our current pricing as the old grandfathered plans are not a deal anymore as they upped the prices a few times, and lumped all add-ons into one add-on at an every increasing price.

In the discussion, the mention of loyalty was actually ignored and not responded to in the discussion at ll.  That message was very clear to me.

I small token "loyalty" reduction that is not even worth mentioning was offered, and I just laughed.

I said, well, if that is the offer, I can accept that is how it is, but I am telling you now I am going shopping, and will work with others, and see if I can get a mix and price that is more conducive to the realities of my current life situation.

Well, 40 minutes later, an alternative offer was made, by tinkering with the presentation of the plans, but it was nothing more than the market plans juggled in a different way than most would ever be able to put together.  Small "loyalty" pricing on an obsolete phone with choice of two, where the other plan I had a choice of 6 phones, most of better quality.

So we will now think about what we will do, as good consumers always should do, but when you have drastically reduced income due to economy and health, you have to look at all this differently than we did before.

But in summary, there was basically no discussion of loyalty, it was never even mentioned, and there seemed to initially be no concern whether I just walked, and initially, I didn't expect that any discussion of alternatives and thinking outside of the box of the current packaged offers, which I now realize that if you are able to creatively look at all the choices of phone quality and age, individual plans versus share plans, etc, solutions can be found, but that had nothing to do with loyalty, it was repackaging, which the cancellations department could do, but CSR's can't mix and match to best meet our needs.

It was made very clear that this offer mix exists only today, as it is not a time limited promotional offer, which I didn't even get into the reality that those offers aren't for "loyal customers", they are for new customers.

So in summary, my experience with home services negotiations and this one with cell has led me to believe that loyalty is no longer a part of the culture of marketing for Rogers.  I have had that gut feeling for a long time.

There is always a last chance offered to consider, but they really aren't worth the time and frustration and I will never do it again.  I made it clear that if the offer is gone by the time we make up our mind, then we just move on.  They have just become another cell phone company.  I still get good resolution when things go wrong, but I also think that with all the failures and write offs of Shomi, failed IPTV, Nextbox Navigtr, CRTC rulings, reduced charges for wholesale pricing (they have to match their pricing - but if they keep increasing their prices, they take the wholesalers with them as I have already seen in my market reviews), and add in losing Cable and home phone customers steadily, they have reached a point as their financial statements say, that they continue to see profit in the mix, with value added services, moving people to higher level phones and plan mixes, and increasing profits from the Internet/TV mixes.

But, what that does is create a product mix that is out of my range - I will just have to live with that and change my desires, but it is unfortunate that the very thing that has kept me for so long is being truly treated as a loyal customers, even if it was 6 free movies out of the middle of know where, or the occasional bonus add-on, it now seems to be a thing of the past.

In the conversation, I did get one very honest statement - as you move to better higher level smart phone (they didn't realize that the phones on record are not the ones we use - they are from our daughters and they are fairly high level phones of their time), and that as we play, we can expect that we will need more data.  My responded, that is a perfect reason for us not to get the phones, and to not play.  We are definitely a frugal pair.

But enough rant.  see if they can offer you something that you feel reflects your loyalty, not pulling out of the bucket of a range of offers to best meet your needs.

Thanks for posting - I was thinking of doing the same after the experience of the last two days, and previous with home service, and then your post came along.

Wonder how many others there are like us out there, that will finally say enough is enough, but unfortunately there really is no competition.

Bruce

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hey Bruce 

You have done enough for them around here and saved them a few customers with your assistance and suggestions ... why not take Prasana up on their offer and see what community helps can do for you  along the lines of something to  meet your needs for a reasonable price ?   Smiley Wink

And please if either of  you go that route come back and let us here in the Community  know how it goes .   Smiley Happy

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Give me a few days to cool down and I will probably see what Prasana and that bunch can do.  And yes, I will report back.

And yes, you are right, I have achieved on this board what I most love to do, help some customers, hear their frustration, not understand it, because they only they can truely understand it, to be polite, and provide customers the tools to effectively, although yes a lot of work to work with reps, and escalate when necessary, and to provide any knowledge or assistance I can.

I will see what they have to offer for sure - good suggestion @barndoor.

Why not hear one more kick at the can? What have I got to lose, but some time.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

It was necessary for me to call a first level CSR today, just so I could fully understand what I had been offered -  he read through the notes, and filled in the gaps, was much more "compassionate and understanding" of both my life circumstances of disability, loss of income, and being stuck in the states with a broken car for 10 days to the tune of 7000 CDN.

Completely different experience, I now understand all that is in front of me, I am not reacting to the cold bluntly presented reality that was in front of me, and he even said, he wished he could finalize the deal, but he can't because they don't have those options - I have to go back to customer relations, retentions, cancellation department - I heard it called all three in two days.

I have been a loyal customer for so many years because the service was generally good and predictable quality, I was treated with respect in my interactions always, and I could expect that things would be clearly articulated and explained and I was given time to soak in the reality and move on - which for me can take a few days, but now I have to go to retentions, because I am cancelling something, and they work with finding me a mix that may work for me because they are the ones with the authority to do that, so they are kind of now, the cancellation, retentions, relations department all in one.  But certainly not a loyalty department.

Now it is up to my wife, as it is her phone we are replacing, she is lest "loyal" than me and less willing to put up with this kind of stuff.

So, we will think on it all, but glad I was able to make the second call, and get wonderful accommodations for my disabilities, time, patience, and help me understand what I had been told so fast yesterday that at the end I didn't actually understand what the full service set was - all I knew was a phone option, the price on that phone, and plan prices.  No details.

Oh well, life goes on.

Bruce

rdms
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm not sure I did the PM correctly ... I sent a message to RogersPrasana ... is that correct or should I have sent to someone else?

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I believePrasana suggested   that you contact   @CommunityHelps    .....which I suspect is likely to get you a response in a more timely manner .  It may or may not be Prasana that responds would be my guess though .  

You can just click on the  highlighted @CommunityHelps and it will take you to a profile page  that has a  "send private message" button on it . 

In my experience private messages  to the mods aren't neccessarily as  high on the priority list . Smiley Wink

And I have sent a couple messages that  just seem to disappear   so don't hesitate to check your sent messages and see that it has gone through . 

Good Luck   Smiley Happy

rdms
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @barndoor ... I've just received a message from @CommunityHelps. I'll update everyone on the results - hopefully soon.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation