Updating software for E71

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Updating software for E71

Hello

I have a Nokia E71 and noticed that Rogers has never released new firmware updates for this phone. I know however that even North American versions have had some updates done.

Is it completely hopeless without unlocking or even toying with the IMEI?

Thanks

Vic

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersSaleh
Retired Moderator

Re: Updating software for E71

Hi Victor

We do not support toying with the IMEI or loading non rogers firmware on the device.  You may contact Nokia support at the following link on firmware updates

I Plan to Stick Around

Dude, if you are out of warranty... change the hardware code and upgrade your firmware.

I did mine and it was like a new phone... there is so much that has been corrected on the E71 that Rogers is ignoring.  It's still not perfect but it was 100X better for me with firmware 5.xxx.... same can be said about my Nokia 5800.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry for the extremely late reply, I thought the forum was by default going to notify me of new replies.

Thank you 325i (335i is more fun though Smiley Tongue), that's what I thought too. I think I'll make the jump and do the mod. It's very frustrating that Rogers didn't do anything to the E71's firmware. No wonder Symbian never took off in NAM, carriers didn't care for it and try to maintain it.

Victor
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@victor

Under options you can subscribe to an RSS feed or enable an email notification to get the latest updates!

Thanks

I Plan to Stick Around

This time strangely your reply generated a notification!

I'm not sure why the first time I was not able to get any. But thanks for the tip! Smiley Happy

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

No probs Woman Very Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

Saleh I understand the implications with allowing people to self-update their firmware, especially when it's not an easy method.
Still, I tried a while ago to contact Nokia and was deferred to Rogers (not surprisingly). This is why this was so frustrating for me. Neither party was willing to really help. And knowing that a lot of the better functionality for my product was locked away due to proprietary product code was making it worse.
I sincerely hope modern handsets are treated better than my E71 was.
I Plan to Stick Around

I went through this issue myself last year. Called Nokia, and e-mailed back and forth with a technical agent and this was the response I got:

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for e-mailing the Nokia Care Contact Center.

With regard to your inquiry about your Nokia E71, we would like to let you know that if your device is restarting by itself, you may perform the following troubleshooting steps:

1.Check if you have the correct Nokia original battery for your phone. If you do not have the correct battery, please return to your point of purchase to obtain the correct battery for your phone or purchase the appropriate battery for your phone. 

2.Ensure that the battery has been charged. Please refer to your user guide for charging instructions.

3.Try removing your battery and replacing it back in the phone. 

4.If you have access to another phone and battery of the same type as yours, try substituting them to determine if the issue is with the phone or battery Your point of sale may be able to assist you. Please be sure to call them first. 

If you were able to identify the problem and you find out that your device is in need of repair, we recommend you to check with your point of sale or at our website the warranty and repair options for you. Please note that our authorized repair center can only repair Nokia products that was designed for use and purchased in our authorized store in Canada. Our authorized Nokia repair center does not have the capability to repair devices that were manufactured for use outside the Canada market.

For repair information, kindly visit http://www.nokia.ca/get-support-and-software/repair/nokia-canada-repair-centre-instructions .

Update availability is based on many things, including existing Nokia device firmware version, country, and operator. It may be due to one of these variables that your Nokia device isn't eligible for updates. Please note that your mobile service provider, operator, or carrier may not have approved the latest Nokia device firmware available. Nokia produces many different variants of each product (for different countries and languages) and not all variants have the latest Nokia device firmware. It is our priority to update all variants as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any delay. New software may become available at a later date, however, so please check back soon athttp://www.nokia.ca/get-support-and-software/software/device-software-update/can-i-update .

I sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused. Nokia appreciates your business and continued support of our products.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Basically Nokia wanted to help and said there is firmware updates available for my phone, but Rogers was too lazy to approve them. So I took matters into my own hands and updated the phone manually. I've been with Rogers for over 8 years now, and this really pissed me off. It doesn't matter how many people bought the phone, new firmware update approval should have been done quickly and swiftly as I'm sure didn't need much effort to do. My E71 was rebooting randomly up until I took action because I was going to smash it if I couldn't fix it. To say the least, the newest firmware update fixed the majority of all the issues I was *itching about in the first place. Do what 325i did and it will be a much better experience. Don't get me wrong, I still didn't let this reflect a entirely bad image of Rogers in my mouth, but it certainly didn't leave a good taste either. Advice for the future Rogers: Don't treat the rest of your customers like this, I'm technically savvy but others are not. You need to provide when at all possible help and approve manufacturer updates when they're available or the Nokia N8 and E7 will be a failure thanks to you, which I do not want to see.