Updates for Windows phones that have *never* been locked to Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Updates for Windows phones that have *never* been locked to Rogers

I'm sure this is a stupid question with an obvious answer, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. So...

If I've got a Lumia 635 that has never been locked to any carrier, am I still at the mercy of Rogers when it comes time for updates (for example, Denim)?

Alternatively, what would happen for updates to a Samsung ATIV S that was locked to Rogers, but is now unlocked and running on Fido? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think Fido ever offered that phone, so I'm curious as to what would happen if new firmware & Windows Phone 8.1 was made available for the ATIV.

Thanks in advance to those willing to respond to my queries. 🙂

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Updates for Windows phones that have *never* been locked to Rogers

Good Day!

To answer your question, you should be able to get the updates with an unlocked Lumia device. My buddy got all the major updates on his unlocked Lumia 920 that he uses with PC Mobile and he is using a SIM card in it that he had to cut down to size to make it work.

Did you get the CYAN update? According to this Mobile syrup article it was released
http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/07/29/windows-phone-8-1-update-now-available-for-nokia-lumia-625-on-roge...

As for the unlocked Samsung that was locked to Rogers working through FIDO it should get the update but I think you have to wait for ROGERS to release it. FIDO if I am correct is a ROGERS subsidiary so you should get it. I don't know though if because it is a Samsung that there might be possible delays in getting the Denim update.

I hope that was helpful in some way. Always around if you have any more questions.

All the best!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is any member of the Community able to assist @devfellow with their unlocked Windows Phone OS questions?

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Good Day!

To answer your question, you should be able to get the updates with an unlocked Lumia device. My buddy got all the major updates on his unlocked Lumia 920 that he uses with PC Mobile and he is using a SIM card in it that he had to cut down to size to make it work.

Did you get the CYAN update? According to this Mobile syrup article it was released
http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/07/29/windows-phone-8-1-update-now-available-for-nokia-lumia-625-on-roge...

As for the unlocked Samsung that was locked to Rogers working through FIDO it should get the update but I think you have to wait for ROGERS to release it. FIDO if I am correct is a ROGERS subsidiary so you should get it. I don't know though if because it is a Samsung that there might be possible delays in getting the Denim update.

I hope that was helpful in some way. Always around if you have any more questions.

All the best!

View solution in original post