Updated original IPG sucks!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Updated original IPG sucks!

I saw it mentioned elsewhere that the "old" IPG had been updated to show 2 hours. So I looked at it and just see about 1-1/2 hours, with the rest off the screen and text truncated. I have an 8300 SD PVR and no HD subscription, so why should my guide be messed up to accomodate people with HD boxes who opted to revert to the old guide because the new guide had problems?

Rogers, please fix this.

***Edited labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Updated original IPG sucks!

Dude, relax.  SARA hasn't changed (i know, i have an 8300)

The update was to nextbox.  From v3 to v4.  Nextbox only showed an hour or 1.5 hrs.

I'm a Regular

I have an 8642 with the old guide, they didn't change anything and the guide is still standard size.

I'm a Senior Advisor

It was the truncted text that bothered me; program descriptions running off the screen. I;m not sure it was like that before.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That could be part of the issue of the change in guide providers, that its just too long of info to fit

(I was able to 100% confirm they did change guide providers)

I've Been Around

The IPG font on an HD TV is so small, we are having trouble reading.  Bell makes it much easier to see a list of channels and can have multple list groups to choose from.  Why does Rogers not allows you to have atleast a listing of paid for channels only; the list is so long and scrolling only 5 channels at a time is a pain.  The favorites setting does not distinguish between subscribed channes and non subscribed channels.  Are there plans to enhance?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@P_D123 wrote:

The IPG font on an HD TV is so small, we are having trouble reading.  Bell makes it much easier to see a list of channels and can have multple list groups to choose from.  Why does Rogers not allows you to have atleast a listing of paid for channels only; the list is so long and scrolling only 5 channels at a time is a pain.  The favorites setting does not distinguish between subscribed channes and non subscribed channels.  Are there plans to enhance?

Which box are you using?  How large is your tv?  I have no issue seeing the font on a 42" HD tv.

The Nextbox guide also does allow you filter your guide by subscribed/unsubscribed.

To filter -> Settings->Channel Setup->Hide Channels->Show/Hide Channel Options->Hide Unsubscribed.  "Favorites" will not distinguish anything until you actually select channels as favorites.  Presumably, you wouldn't mark any unsubscribed channels as favorites.  To mark a channel as a favorite, hit the "info" button on the remote and arrow over to the heart icon, then hit the select button on the remote.  Once you have selected channels as favorites, hitting the "Favorites" button on the remote will bring up a guide with only your favorite channels.

As for font size, I find the "Classic" setting a bit more readable than "Modern". 

Settings->Appearance

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a 32" and its legible to me.  Smaller yes, but still quite readable (and this is from about 15+ feet away)

But, alot may come down to each persons situation.. age, eyesight, etc.. which may effect how easy someone does read it.

Lurker is correct tho, they just recently added the feature, to remove the unsubscribed.  It will remove all, except for any ON DEMAND ones (regardless of if you subscribe or not).

This should reduce your list.

If you go through, and favorite specific channels, you can create a really small (or big) list as you want.. but you have to go in and favorite each channel one by one.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am a brand new customer; just had my Basic Cable installed today.  I am renting a Cisco 4642 box to get HD channels and a guide. (Maybe it is called a "Nextbox" on this forum?)

Reception is great, and now I have lots of new channels.  But the guide -- out of the box -- is poorly designed.  The top 33% of the screen has the current channel peeking through, the bottom 33% has a program description, and only the middle 33% has what is useful to me: the actually channels with programming info.

Is there a way to set the middle part -- channels with programming info -- to take up all of the screen?  So instead of seeing 5 or so channels at a time, and paging over and over, I can see 15 or so at a time?  Or however many I can max out?

Thanks!

Matt

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately... NOPE 😞

This has been a big complaint from well the begining. 

Even the very first digital boxes, with the old original SARA guide... only showed about 5 lines at a time.