Upcoming Stand Alone Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Upcoming Stand Alone Channels

'I guess Rogers is only loyal to its shareholders and making them more and more money each year.  '

That's kinda the textbook definition of a business, isnt it?

As an aside, what kind of a fantasy world is everyone living in that they didn';t see this coming?

Anyone who actually believed that pick n pay was going to save them money and give them MORE is delusional.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i am sure that rogers is makeing their money on each individual channel as well...

One thing that people have to remember as well.. is that its Rogers is likely having to pay more as well for them.

Rogers has to pay for licensing to get each channel.
Before, with a lot of them, they had to buy them from the owners in bundles.. and then sold the same way to us.
May have broken down to a smaller $ per chanel.

But now, they have to buy the license indivdually, in order to sell the individually.
Overall the channel owners will not be potentially making as much, and not having as many channels bought due to it not being bundled.  (they could get sales on the less poupular ones when bundles, where as no one getting them now).  So the channel owners may be jacking the individual pricing up.. which then would force rogers to have the prices higher.

(And for anyone who doesnt think this is true, look at the whole debacle a few years ago with AMC and Rogers (as well as some US companies).   AMC ran smear campains, saying "Rogers is planning on getting rid of AMC, contact them to say you sill want it.   Rogers yes, may have potentially been thinking of droping it, due to the licence was up for re negotiations.  And what AMC was doing, was trying to charge 400% of what they were charging before for the channel (this was happening to all carriers the US as well at the time))

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Dugi wrote:

The information is now posted regarding stand alone channels. 

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/starter-package#/starter-channels

...and...

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/compare-packages#/compare

Neither of these links gives me the info I need.  (In fact they both go to the same page for me.)

I just want a price list, that says what each stand alone channel costs.  Tried looking myself and turned up nothing.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Go in from the shop link for TV and you will find the details by digging in if the links are not taking you there.

The pricing is as I expected it would be. But it is interesting, once I started to look at what I was watching and PVRing on a regular basis, I found that almost everything above the starter package I really don't watch, except for a couple of shows, but I could live without them.  Asked my wife and she agreed - we have more than enough PVR'd TV that comes off the stations available in the starter package to more than keep us busy, and daytime TV we watch is in the package too.

The only things missing for us was we like to was Home and Garden and HBO and maybe one other - total is 24.95 + 12.95 for a basic digital terminal (we would want PVR - so higher, but same price no matter the package), + HBO 20.00 H&G 7.00 and one other which is 4.00. Total is 68.00  H&G is available free online, so take that out, unfortunately OWN and HBO you have to have cable. So I can live without OWN, get standard TV +HBO would be 57.00 - less than any of their packages, so I win on that one.

Unfortunate part is that Canadian media suppliers have a hold on control of most specialities channels because they are owned by the Cable and TV providers - Bell owns rights to HBO for example.

My real world preference would be I go Over the Air digital in my area, I can get 39.00 channel, and if HBO was available on line without Cable as it is now in the US, I would have the perfect world.

But the important part for me since I am aiming to reduce how much I pay for TV is that a starter package plus HBO will meet my needs.  Unfortunately, they won't do bundle deal with the starter package (at least they didn't before), so what will that mean - I will probably keep Internet with Rogers, or choose another company, because starter deals are better. The one supplier does not have CTV CTV2 available due to licensing, but you can get that over the air.  So there are now some realistic options, and I give up the home phone.

Some thinking to do, but don't think the shake up is finished.  Wonder what CRTC has to say about all this.

Like I said, the amazing part is that once I seriously looked at it, I wasn't actually losing anything I cared about in the old packages, so why have I been paying for this for so long - the starter package wasn't there, so CRTC on a basic tv watcher point of view achieved their goal of choice.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@BS wrote:

Go in from the shop link for TV and you will find the details by digging in if the links are not taking you there.

Geeze, I just want a link.  Telling me to dig is not helpful.  Might as well say "go to rogers.com and find it yourself".   If you hve been to the site you will see it is not easy to find anything!! Hence my post.

Anyway, thanks for your long winded opinions that did not provide me with the information I asked for in the first place.  Very helpful.

Here is a link I dug up myself after some time.. Hopefully it helps someone else, if they can wade through all the other bloat in this thread:

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv?ipn=1#/channels

It definitely skirts the spirit of the CRTC ruling.

One thing that stands out like a sore thumb is TSN 1 HD.  The info button says something like "The Stand Alone Option for TSN 1 includes TSN 2, TSN 3, TSN 4 and TSN 5.... and costs $18/mth"

How is  packaging 5 channels together offering stand alone channels?

Am I missing something, or is Rogers just thumbing their nose at the CRTC as well as their customers?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sometimes, with the way pages burry stuff under TABS. internally on a page, there is not always sometimes a Direct link to the info needed.  Sometimes you need to go to a page and go into a tab, etc to get there.  That is all that BS was trying to do.

The Link you gave seems to be one of the better ones for the details.

The first link which was posted above, might be something just on your end if it was bringing you to the wrong page/details.  On my end, it would bring it to a page, very similar to your link, and did post the pricing as well.

Remember, this is a USER to USER form Discussion forum..  Even people with the RE tag, like BS and myself, are just USERS.  We dont work for rogers, we just have some admin capabilities on the forums.  But we dont have direct access to all the stuff that rogers direct does.  We are finding links and posting them to try and help people.  But we dont necessarily have all the answers.
People are free to discuss anything that remains on topic to what the thread is about, even if its not a direct answer to a specific question.

What i do find interesting.. while there are a lot of stand alone channel pricing is on there.. there are a lot which do NOT yet.
I wonder if the pricing deals have not been worked out with those channel oweners yet... 
And then what will the CRTC do about the carriers not having them available yet?  (or if there is a time window from today.. say 30 days to fully implement)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You are right, GD. Sorry I left that snarky message BS.

I got frustrated with this whole situation and shouldn't have taken it out on another user.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its allright.  We all have bad days.

We ALL, even us regulars here... get frustrated at Rogers (and other carriers, etc) on a regular bassis 😛

I posted a reply on the other thread of yours.  
I got a few questions/concerns as well 😞

There are a bunch like that... or ones that are missing.
The HBO set of channels, for example.

I wonder if its that single channel deals have not been worked out with the channel owners yet..

I would have to go back and look at the offical ruling docs again..
See if its a 'Start making available Dec 1' or if that all the channels fully have to be pick and pay by right now?
Like do they have a window to finish up getting them all set up that way?
If not.. then yes, is something the CRTC should be slaping them for.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@matt72yard wrote:

@BS wrote:

Geeze, I just want a link.  Telling me to dig is not helpful.  Might as well say "go to rogers.com and find it yourself".   If you hve been to the site you will see it is not easy to find anything!! Hence my post.

Anyway, thanks for your long winded opinions that did not provide me with the information I asked for in the first place.  Very helpful.

Here is a link I dug up myself after some time.. Hopefully it helps someone else, if they can wade through all the other bloat in this thread:

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv?ipn=1#/channels

That's not much help to me either.  I have the VIP package for $91.20/month (including tax). It's no longer shown by Rogers, but has hundreds of channels. One day I'll count them. A major omission is Fox News. I'm wondering what it would cost me to add that. There is no clear answer on the Rogers site, but when I select Channel 181, it tells me to call Rogers.  I've been reading additional channels are $4 - $7, kind of pricey for one channel. But there's hundreds of other channels on VIP that I'll never watch. What would be really cool would be if you could trade 100 useless channels for just one additional one.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ha Ha ha!  And now the link I provided doesn't work for me anymore, either!

(To get that link, I waited 20 minutes to chat with Customer Support.  I had spent 20 minutes previosuly trying to hunt down the info myself and gave up.  All time wasted because Rogers can't or won't make information easy to find.  You have to love Rogers and Rogers.com.  The  website -- completely user unfriendly, broken in places, slow to load --  is a perfect representation of the company itself.  Their motto should be "Our Customers Are the Enemy!")