Upcoming Stand Alone Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Upcoming Stand Alone Channels

My understanding is, to be in compliance with the CRTC, Rogers will have to allow you to order stand alone channels by December of 2016.  This is of particular interest to Sports Fans, who may want to buy a single Sports Channel as opposed to a pricier Sports Pack with a whack of channels.

Does anyone have any details on what Rogers will be offering, and for how much $$$?  Or do we just have to wait until December?

Thanks,
Matt

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Upcoming Stand Alone Channels

Hello @matt72yard

Unfortunately that information is not available as of yet. Seems they are staying quite until near December when they do announce it.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok here I am again.  Is there some sort of matrix for each stand alone channel and how much it costs?

Or is Rogers waiting until the absolute last moment -- Dec 1 -- to reveal this information? (Or maybe making users call in, even?)

If there is a link, please share.  

Thanks!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @matt72yard

At this moment Rogers has yet revealed their plans and or pricing for each channel. When there is information, it will be posted :).
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

My guess that we won't see it until December 1st.  No company has put out their information, except for Vmedia and a couple of other 3rd party.

The same thing happened with the deadline date for the simple packages.

Nobody ants to put anything out until they absolutely have no choice in the matter.

But as said, no details as of yet (only 2 days left and they are supposed to be there on Dec 1st).

I don't expect it to be anything to right home about - the current model has not been beneficial for most users

who would like to change things up.

Bruce

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, I would say Yes/No BS.

For anyone who has a fair number of channels they want to use, etc.. No the current (nor likely the new platform), will be any savings.

But its not designed to.
Many people seem to think this will be the 'save everyone from the high prices!'.
But its not.  Its desgined for people who barely watch TV.
People who say just watch the news in the evening, and 1-3 channels otherwise.. usually only have 1 TV in the house, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Many people seem to think this will be the 'save everyone from the high prices!'.
But its not.  Its desgined for people who barely watch TV.
People who say just watch the news in the evening, and 1-3 channels otherwise.. usually only have 1 TV in the house, etc.

I know people who had premium packages and a PVR who cut back to basic cable before the new higher priced starter pack and got Android boxes.  My daughter did exactly that and now they got a smart TV for their bedroom and can watch all kinds of movies and stuff they've downloaded. This is where Rogers is losing market share.  These are the people they need to get back. They won't come back unless Rogers can offer more content for less money.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Im not arguing that.
Yes, generally overall, IF they want to keep the market.. yes overall, they need to have cheaper prices to compete.

Was just trying to say that the new stuff, is not designed to REPLACE say things like VIP, and be cheaper.  
Its designed, just for like what it says, BASIC users.

Its unfortunate, that there is not more LEGAL other options.
Beyond netflix, crave (and previoiusly shomi), it was very limited in what content can be obtained Legally, for cheap enough.
Its one reason why people are resorting to the more 'illegal' means such as downloading and Android boxes.

(though, part of it is education too.. its suprising how many people dont realize that a good chunk of the stuff those apps on the android boxes, are viewing ILLEGAL content.  They seem to think that its all LEGALY put there, and the cable companies are just charging for it since they can.  That, or they just dont care :P)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

The information is now posted regarding stand alone channels. 

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/starter-package#/starter-channels

No surprise in that the prices are really high with the average price for popular channels around $7 per month. Some are more, a few are less. Funny that the stand alone channels that were available with the older packages like VIP were often made available for under $3 per month. The one I have is actually $2.79.

Also of interest is the comparison page whch compares the starter package with theme packs, with stand alone, and with both. In all cases you get far fewer channels than subscribing to popular or premier and for a higher price. The CRTC sure did not do consumers any favors - just another rogers ripoff.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/compare-packages#/compare

How ironic to read the following in rogers redboard today; "It’s a great time to love TV. With crowd-pleasing network shows and live events, or edgier cable fare, there’s something for everyone. And with the introduction of standalone “pick and pay” channels, now Rogers is making it even easier for our customers to get exactly the TV lineup they want." Sure rogers - less for more. Way to skirt the intent of the CRTC.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This has all been a major fail by the CRTC.  Prices have gone up and services have decreased.  

I wanted to subscribe to a channel but I looked and it is 7 dollars a month.  Come on Rogers stop exploiting your customers.  I used to have Much Retro as a standalone channel before and I paid $2.79 and now it's $4.00.  Why the price change when it is offered in a package with a bunch of other channels now for $5.00.  Obviously they don't want people subscribing to these standalone channels.  

I guess Rogers is only loyal to its shareholders and making them more and more money each year.  Funny thing is the higher the prices go, the more people will just cancel cable altogether, it becomes a cycle.  CRTC made things worse and Rogers is definitely not complying with the spirit of the CRTC changes.   If it weren't for my parents I would cancel cable altogether.